E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
dfjaws

My Ride: '08 E90 M3 / '02 Z3
AR15.com Billet Ambi Lower... Thoughts? (No 56k)

Hey All

Trying to narrow my parts list for my next rifle. Right now I'm trying to figure out my lower. I've narrowed it down to the following two based on a couple points:

1: Ambi controls. I shoot lefty so this is something I really want.

2: Quality.

I like the ARfcom lower a lot. I think it looks great and, being that it's the same blueprints as the limited Magpul lower, the quality is there. Also, the little details like a slight magwell flare and texture on the front of the magwell are kinda cool.

The KAC lower is also a great lower. The quality is obviously there. The only thing that kind of gets me is that the controls don't feel as 'right' as they could be. I've never fondled an ARfcom lower but I have a KAC, and it looks to me like the ARfcom lower controls would be easier to manipulate.

Couple side notes:
-The lower will be the host of an LMT MRP Piston upper. (Fondled one today at a gunshow and it only solidified my pre-existing love for the MRP)
-KAC comes with LMT SOPMOD, KAC 2 stage trigger
-ARfcom Lower comes with Geissele SG3 Trigger, Magpul ASAP sling adapter, and choice of Magpul UBR, CTR, or PRS

Either way, just trying to see what other people think of either of these lowers.

P.S. I don't care about price. I know they're expensive but to me it's worth it to have the gun I really want. Also, I'm not an AR15.com fanboy. I mostly lurk on that site and M4Carbine.net. I just want a nice lower. It could say meatspin.com and I wouldn't really care, haha.

AR15.com Billet Lower

KAC Lower

LMT MRP Piston Upper
Old 11-27-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
Just based on looks, I'd say the ARF lower. Hopefully someone can tell you more about the actual quality. *paging Reedo*
Old 11-27-2011, 02:33 AM   #3
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws View Post

It could say meatspin.com and I wouldn't really care, haha.

Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
You really couldn't go wrong either way. Both have the same options, so you're sort of left with deciding which one you like aesthetically. The Arfcom one does have two major advantages that I like. First, the 45 degree safety selector, and the other is the Geissele trigger.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
dfjaws

I agree Reedo. I like the 45* safety selector, however, the Knights one has Knight's two stage match trigger. Hard choice. I looked for some info on M4Carbine but everyone there can't get over the fact that it says AR15.com on it. I just want an ambi lower that works well, regardless of cost. It's annoying that the 'professionals' on there can't help me with constructive advice to that end. That's why I came to E46. Thanks Reedo!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
dfjaws

Forgot to add, something I thought about that might sway me is the fact that LMT makes the lowers for KAC. If I'm putting an LMT MRP on it, it might fit just a *little* better on the Knight's than the Magpul/ARfcom lower. Shouldn't be too big of a deal though, I'm sure the other lower is in spec.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
Reedo302

Quote:
however, the Knights one has Knight's two stage match trigger.
The S3G trigger would not be my first choice for a Geissele trigger because of the light weight, but I'll take the Geissele any day over any other trigger. The Geissele triggers are two-stage as well, and are much stronger and more durable than other two-stage triggers due to the beefed up hammer design.

http://geissele.com/super3guns3gtrigger.aspx

Glock Armorer

Old 11-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
dfjaws

Good to know! Thanks for the link.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
BeRzErKaS

My Ride: 330ciC; Boosted E36
Send a message via ICQ to BeRzErKaS
ehhh, tough call. The fanboyism is kinda hard to overlook, imo...

I mean, my first impression is that KAC is a very reputable company with plenty of experience building the tools of modern warfare.

Meanwhile, AR15.com is an internet forum with enough money to slap their logo on someone else's hard work.

Any word on who's making the ARFCOM lowers? This was all a big secret leading up to Shot Show last year. My best objective advice would be to look up the weight difference between the two parts. Their respective manufacturing processes are very different. I wouldn't be surprised if the forged part is a bit denser/heavier. This is part of what makes forged wheels stronger then billet wheels. The difference may be negligible, maybe not.

I say go with whichever feels most comfortable in your hands.

BMW 3 Series - "Welcome to the club."

Supercharged E-dIrTy-6 325is 5sp
Drop Top E-sPorTy-6 330cic Step
BeRzErKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS View Post
ehhh, tough call. The fanboyism is kinda hard to overlook, imo...

I mean, my first impression is that KAC is a very reputable company with plenty of experience building the tools of modern warfare.

Meanwhile, AR15.com is an internet forum with enough money to slap their logo on someone else's hard work.

Any word on who's making the ARFCOM lowers? This was all a big secret leading up to Shot Show last year. My best objective advice would be to look up the weight difference between the two parts. Their respective manufacturing processes are very different. I wouldn't be surprised if the forged part is a bit denser/heavier. This is part of what makes forged wheels stronger then billet wheels. The difference may be negligible, maybe not.

I say go with whichever feels most comfortable in your hands.
Still is....I've been eyeing one myself. The ambi-controls would be a nice touch, being a left sucks sometimes....
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #11
Reedo302

Arfcom hasn't said who's making their lowers. The concern of the fanboy issue with Arfcom is always an issue, since a lot of the people on that site are pretty..."intense". That said, Arfcom has a lot of clout in the AR community, and I surmise that they would not want to have their name associated with a junk piece of kit.

As far as forged vs billet, forged is stronger. Billet simply gives you the ability to get further customization from the component for different operation and aesthetics. Some of the stuff done by the billet machining process cannot be replicated by the forging process. With that said, it's really a Honeycrisp apple vs. Braeburn apple argument. It's all about what flavor you like. So long as you stay away from the polymer lowers, you're fine.

Glock Armorer

Old 11-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
As far as forged vs billet, forged is stronger. Billet simply gives you the ability to get further customization from the component for different operation and aesthetics. Some of the stuff done by the billet machining process cannot be replicated by the forging process. With that said, it's really a Honeycrisp apple vs. Braeburn apple argument. It's all about what flavor you like. So long as you stay away from the polymer lowers, you're fine.
How bad are the plastic lowers? I've been looking around a bit at getting an AR and am on the fence on whether to hold out for something decent or just put together a true budget gun. How bad exactly is the $120 Plum Crazy plastic lower?
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #13
dfjaws

I don't see why people buy poly lowers when you can just wait for a deal on a forged one for the same money, JMO.

I whoever made Magpul's I believe is making Arfcom's lower. So.... Noveske maybe? I also heard Mega was doing them too. Who knows? haha.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #14
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Honeycrisp!

Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Honeycrisp!
Ditto. Especially since I'm from Minnesota (UofM invented it)

Quote:
I don't see why people buy poly lowers when you can just wait for a deal on a forged one for the same money, JMO.

I whoever made Magpul's I believe is making Arfcom's lower. So.... Noveske maybe? I also heard Mega was doing them too. Who knows? haha.
My first thought was Mega, since they make a majority of the billet lowers on the market. No clue though for sure, or if it is someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
How bad are the plastic lowers? I've been looking around a bit at getting an AR and am on the fence on whether to hold out for something decent or just put together a true budget gun. How bad exactly is the $120 Plum Crazy plastic lower?
If you want to buy a polymer lower receiver, be ready for stuff like this:

Glock Armorer

Old 11-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #16
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Quote:
Ditto. Especially since I'm from Minnesota (UofM invented it)

My first thought was Mega, since they make a majority of the billet lowers on the market. No clue though for sure, or if it is someone else.

If you want to buy a polymer lower receiver, be ready for stuff like this:

Ha - great pics. I'm sold.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #17
dfjaws

Not to dig up an old thread but...

I just got a KAC SR15! Held one at a gun show and couldn't let it go. Overall I'm very happy with this rifle so far! All I've got for now is a MS3 sling, some P Mags and a TLR-1. Also I've got an Eotech in the mail. Now it's time to take some classes!

EDIT: Sorry for the crap picture. I'll get a better one tomorrow with my SLR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1353987498.429490.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	479796  

Last edited by dfjaws; 11-26-2012 at 10:39 PM.
dfjaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #18
Reedo302

KAC....

I was looking into a KAC SR25 ECC, and am currently waiting on LE pricing for it. $5400 MSRP, and I suspect that LE pricing will still be insanely outrageous.
Maybe I'm just getting cabin fever waiting for SHOT Show 2013 and for Noveske to release their new Gen2 N6...

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 11-26-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #19
dfjaws

Oh the SR25.... Maybe someday.

Off topic: I just discovered your youtube videos. HUGELY informative. Thanks so much for taking the time to make them. I can put a new Battlecomp on this gun and know that I'm doing it right thanks to you!

I'm from MN and come home on leave from time to time... maybe I'll see you at the range someday.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #20
dfjaws

Forgot to add, I have a Magpul BAD lever for it too. Even though the lower is ambi it helps for locking the bolt to the rear without removing my hand from fire control. I guess since i have an ambi lower i don't use it to it's full potential but it was $20 at the gun show and I figured even if it was a little bit useful then it would be worth it.

Turns out, I love it. So simple and so effective.