E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #21
OrisuE46

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
hold it on the shoulders in the clean position.
ok. ill try that out... im suppose to be doing a superset today but **** that. i think i'll just do the normal sets.

and honestly the schedules my buddy gives me are never set in stone when i actually workout. it really just helps me stay on track but i change things up sometimes when i actually get to the gym...so if you guys have any suggestions let me know.

R.I.P

OrisuE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #22
OrisuE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
Pics of you shirtless!
ask and you shall receive...this is as of last week thursday

edit: if you havent seen the recent pic thread this is how i looked before i left for afghanistan

R.I.P

Last edited by OrisuE46; 10-24-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #23
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrisuE46 View Post
ok. ill try that out... im suppose to be doing a superset today but **** that. i think i'll just do the normal sets.

and honestly the schedules my buddy gives me are never set in stone when i actually workout. it really just helps me stay on track but i change things up sometimes when i actually get to the gym...so if you guys have any suggestions let me know.
if you're lifting weights and eating right consistently you'll see results. I think a lot of people get way too caught up in what workouts to do. Just stick with it and be patient like I said and you will progress.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #24
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:
if you're lifting weights and eating right consistently you'll see results. I think a lot of people get way too caught up in what workouts to do. Just stick with it and be patient like I said and you will progress.

True, BUT some approaches are MUCH better than others for achieving significant progress. There are plenty of people who work out and eat right, but never achieve any appreciable gains. It's evident by the gym population. I'm sure that we've all seen "that guy" who is regularly in the gym and who has a decent handle on the form of the movements that he is performing, but their body (..nor the amount that they are able to lift) never changes.......year after year after year!

Orisu, I personally don't front squat AND back squat during the same workout, but then again, I'm lifting much heavier than you are (..and I'm sure that our goals differ).

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-24-2012 at 12:08 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #25
OrisuE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
True, BUT some approaches are MUCH better than others for achieving significant progress. There are plenty of people who work out and eat right, but never achieve any appreciable gains.

Orisu, I personally don't front squat AND back squat during the same workout, but then again, I'm lifting much heavier than you are (..and I'm sure that our goals differ).
i think what my friend is trying to do is get me comfortable/familiar with all these workouts ive never done. once i start lifting with him it will all change. right now im squating about 185x3x8. im not sure what my max is though.

R.I.P

Last edited by OrisuE46; 10-24-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #26
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
the issue with constantly changing up your workouts is that you lose the ability to track and monitor progress. If you follow a good routine for 10 weeks, you can consistently monitor your ability to complete more reps and ultimately go up in weight as you progress throughout the weeks.

While it's true that the body can become adapted to a specific training program and that some randomness thrown in can be beneficial, a deadlift will always be a deadlift for example. If you are being intense and eating enough, you should always see progression in strength, and when progress stagnates a de-load (less weight) workout for a week or two is usually more effective than a complete routine change.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #27
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Is that front squat # or back squat #?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #28
OrisuE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
the issue with constantly changing up your workouts is that you lose the ability to track and monitor progress. If you follow a good routine for 10 weeks, you can consistently monitor your ability to complete more reps and ultimately go up in weight as you progress throughout the weeks.

While it's true that the body can become adapted to a specific training program and that some randomness thrown in can be beneficial, a deadlift will always be a deadlift for example. If you are being intense and eating enough, you should always see progression in strength, and when progress stagnates a de-load (less weight) workout for a week or two is usually more effective than a complete routine change.
last week was kinda my de-load week since i took a week off traveling home. i have seen much progress though from when i started to now. i didnt drink for 2 months while i was gone so that helped a lot with results. right now im gonna try and not drink till i go to hawaii on Nov. 2nd. im gonna lift extra hard till then and switch up the routine since ill be working night shift when i return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Is that front squat # or back squat #?
back squat...ive never done front squats

R.I.P

Old 10-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #29
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Why are you still running a mile before lifting? Do that after.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #30
OrisuE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Why are you still running a mile before lifting? Do that after.
its just more comfortable to run before and get my body loose before i lift. since im doing legs today ill probably feel burnt out after and wont have the energy to do so...but im always up to try new things so maybe ill do a half mile beginning and TRY to run after.

R.I.P

Old 10-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #31
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
True, BUT some approaches are MUCH better than others for achieving significant progress. There are plenty of people who work out and eat right, but never achieve any appreciable gains. It's evident by the gym population. I'm sure that we've all seen "that guy" who is regularly in the gym and who has a decent handle on the form of the movements that he is performing, but their body (..nor the amount that they are able to lift) never changes.......year after year after year!

Sorry i should have said good program. But to me those people never push themselves. They do the bare minimum and expect results.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #32
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
...and when progress stagnates a de-load (less weight) workout for a week or two is usually more effective than a complete routine change.
I tend to agree here. My pull-up progression is a perfect example (..although it's somewhat of an inverse example). Previously I could perform about 20-22-ish strict body weight pull-ups - fresh - before I'd burn out. I stopped making significant progress and stalled in the low 20's. I started performing weighted pull-ups - progressing from a 25 lb. plate up to a 45 lb. plate (...4 sets x 8 reps) - when I began this new split on Labor Day (..thanks again Glight! My progress in just under 2 months has been nothing short of fantastic). Last night...after all of the dead-lifting and benching, I jumped on the bar to assess my body weight pull-up numbers. I pulled 27! 27 pull-ups taxed, so I'm sure that my "fresh" number is now well into the 30's. Talk about one hell of an increase. I'll be back on the weighted pull-ups next week.

Quote:
its just more comfortable to run before and get my body loose before i lift. since im doing legs today ill probably feel burnt out after and wont have the energy to do so...but im always up to try new things so maybe ill do a half mile beginning and TRY to run after.
Why not just pedal on a bike for 10 minutes on low resistance? It requires much less energy and will accomplish the same thing. Running before you do legs? Uhhhhh!!??!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-24-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #33
M3Inline6

Quote:
Sorry i should have said good program. But to me those people never push themselves. They do the bare minimum and expect results.
I'm split (..i.e..I agree and disagree)! I've seen people who are working pretty hard, but they aren't doing the lifts that are going to significantly impact their bodies nor their strength.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-24-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #34
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:
Some dynamic stretching and a proper warm up is a much better technique imo to get you ready for your working sets.

Quote:
I tend to agree here. My pull-up progression is a perfect example (..although it's somewhat of an inverse example). Previously I could perform about 20-22-ish strict body weight pull-ups - fresh - before I'd burn out. I stopped making significant progress and stalled in the low 20's. I started performing weighted pull-ups - progressing from a 25 lb. plate up to a 45 lb. plate (...4 sets x 8 reps) - when I began this new split on Labor Day (..thanks again Glight! My progress in just under 2 months has been nothing short of fantastic). Last night...after all of the dead-lifting and benching, I jumped on the bar to assess my body weight pull-up numbers. I pulled 27! 27 pull-ups taxed, so I'm sure that my "fresh" number is now well into the 30's. Talk about one hell of an increase. I'll be back on the weighted pull-ups next week.

Body weight and weighted pull-ups has to be one of my favorite exercises to do. Actually, when I get up in the morning I go through some dynamic stretches and include some body weight exercises that include a quick set of pull-ups.

I only do weighted pull-ups at the gym though as part of my main back workout. Speaking of, I have to remember to order myself yet another belt. I hang some pretty serious weight on there and my current belt has started to rip apart.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #35
OrisuE46

Quote:

Why not just pedal on a bike for 10 minutes on low resistance? It requires much less energy and will accomplish the same thing. Running before you do legs? Uhhhhh!!??!
lol i dunno. ive just been trying out different ways. i was doing bike for 10mins the first month but it never felt like enough during my workouts so i started walking/running. running has increased my indurance a lot more than biking, so i just stuck with that. i just started doing squats about 3-4 weeks ago.

R.I.P

Old 10-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #36
OrisuE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
Some dynamic stretching and a proper warm up is a much better technique imo to get you ready for your working sets.

Body weight and weighted pull-ups has to be one of my favorite exercises to do. Actually, when I get up in the morning I go through some dynamic stretches and include some body weight exercises that include a quick set of pull-ups.
ok. i will try out dynamic stretching today instead of running and run after my workout and see how that effects my lifts.

also for pre workout, should i eat something? i usually dont since my lunch is around 11-12ish and i lift around 3. is that ok?

R.I.P

Old 10-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #37
OrisuE46

made a big ass salad for lunch

R.I.P

Old 10-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #38
M3Inline6

Quote:
also for pre workout, should i eat something? i usually dont since my lunch is around 11-12ish and i lift around 3. is that ok?
I'd eat around 1 or 1:30pm if you lift at 3pm.

...and eat a real meal, NOT a salad! How do you expect to pack on any appreciable muscle eating like that?

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-24-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #39
OrisuE46

Quote:
I'd eat around 1 or 1:30pm if you lift at 3pm.

...and eat a real meal, NOT a salad! How do you expect to pack on any appreciable muscle eating like that?
hey man! theres chicken in there somewhere lol. what would be a good lunch? im not big on breakfast at all since i work at 6am. so lunch is usually my biggest meal throughout the day.

i got a pack of tuna ill wax around 130ish for the gym.

R.I.P

Last edited by OrisuE46; 10-24-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #40
M3Inline6

Quote:
hey man! theres chicken in there somewhere lol. what would be a good lunch? im not big on breakfast at all since i work at 6am. so lunch is usually my biggest meal throughout the day.

i got a pack of tuna ill wax around 130ish for the gym.

I saw it.....but where are the carbs? You have to force yourself to eat more. Pack in the calories....pack on the muscle. Nobody with any appreciable muscle skimps on the calories bro.

P.S. EAT SOME CARBS before and/or after the gym. Tuna isn't gonna do it.