E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #41
OrisuE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 1,082
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I saw it.....but where are the carbs? You have to force yourself to eat more. Pack in the calories....pack on the muscle. Nobody with any appreciable muscle skimps on the calories bro.

P.S. EAT SOME CARBS before and/or after the gym. Tuna isn't gonna do it.
i just get paranoid that what im eating is gonna make me fat again to be honest lol. im trying to break that though.

well give me some examples of GOOD carbs to eat for lunch lol everything im surrounded by is mostly fast food. if you give me a good idea i can prep it tonight and see how it goes tomorrow
__________________
>>*David*<<


R.I.P




Last edited by OrisuE46; 10-24-2012 at 02:01 PM.
OrisuE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #42
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I'm split (..i.e..I agree and disagree)! I've seen people who are working pretty hard, but they aren't doing the lifts that are going to significantly impact their bodies nor their strength.
then I don't know lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrisuE46 View Post
made a big ass salad for lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrisuE46 View Post
i just get paranoid that what im eating is gonna make me fat again to be honest lol. im trying to break that though.

well give me some examples of GOOD carbs to eat for lunch lol everything im surrounded by is mostly fast food. if you give me a good idea i can prep it tonight and see how it goes tomorrow
sweet potatoes, brown rice, and veggies. I eat a ton of potatoes an so far I'm not gaining fat.

Eat something like this

Meat
potato
veggie w/olive oil
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #43
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In the cockpit of an M4!
Posts: 1,795
My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrisuE46 View Post
i just get paranoid that what im eating is gonna make me fat again to be honest lol. im trying to break that though.

well give me some examples of GOOD carbs to eat for lunch lol everything im surrounded by is mostly fast food. if you give me a good idea i can prep it tonight and see how it goes tomorrow

I can understand and empathize with the psychology behind your way of thinking. I've never been fat, so I can't imagine what it feels like.

Portion control is my approach to carbs. I don't concern myself with the minutia of simple versus complex (..ex..I prefer the taste of white rice vs brown rice, so I eat white!). I just pay close attention to my portions and don't overdo it.

You could try...
  • Sweet potato
  • Baby red potato
  • Brown rice
  • White rice
  • Whole wheat tortilla
  • ..etc.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-24-2012 at 02:46 PM.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #44
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I can understand and empathize with the psychology behind your way of thinking. I've never been fat, so I can't imagine what it feels like.

Portion control is my approach to carbs. I don't concern myself with the minutia of simple versus complex (..ex..I prefer the taste of white rice vs brown rice, so I eat white!). I just pay close attention to my portions and don't overdo it.

You could try...
  • Sweet potato
  • Baby red potato
  • Brown rice
  • White rice
  • Whole wheat tortilla
  • ..etc.
I agree with that. People go nuts over wheat bread when in reality a piece of white bread would hardly be any different. Both of them should be avoided as much as possible I think.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-24-2012 at 02:46 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #45
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Lots of good advice in here so far! As someone who has bulked the past two years and GOTTEN fat, I can offer some assistance on how to avoid that (I currently have the past 3 months eating 3000+ calories on training days)

Osiru, that salad is PERFECT for a NON training day. When you are on a "rest day" (no exercise) then you should only be getting a trace amount of carbs from veggies (potatoes/rice excluded). You simply don't need them, so your body will store as fat! So meals like salad with chicken/beef/whatever are great, same with eggs/bacon etc. My rest days I tend to replace any carb sources with veggies (works as a meal as well as a nutrient macro).

With TRAINING days, you require carbs for energy to be at peak performance (and to be in a peak "anabolic" muscle building state). If you are worried about adding too much fat and want to take the slow and steady route, aim for 150g of carbs peri-workout (before, after, during etc). This would be roughly a cup of rice, or 2 russet potatoes. This will help build muscle just as much as protein.

On rest days, consume more healthy fats (olive/coconut oil, bacon fat, butter, fat from fish/beef etc) to replace your lowered carb intake. On training days, lower your fat intake to make up for higher carb intake! (Dietary fat consumed with a higher insulin level leads to storage)

Protein intake should remain constant, at minimum 1g per lb of bodyweight.
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #46
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I agree with that. People go nuts over wheat bread when in reality a piece of white bread would hardly be any different. Both of them should be avoided as much as possible I think.
Besides the slight difference in glycemic load and nutritional content (vitamins/minerals etc) there really isn't much difference. White bread compared to whole wheat I think is actually a joke, but white bread compared to 12 grain there's more nutritional value for sure.

I find it hilarious (and yet sad) that companies have locked in to this "whole grain" madness and you see it everywhere.. especially on cereals. "Made with 100% whole grains". Who gives a ****! It'll still make you overweight and sick when consumed often.
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #47
OrisuE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 1,082
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I can understand and emphathize with the psychology behind your way of thinking. I've never been fat, so I can't imagine what it feels like.

Portion control is my approach to carbs. I don't concern myself with the minutia of simple versus complex (..ex..I prefer the taste of white rice vs brown rice, so I eat white!). I just pay close attention to my portions and don't overdo it.

You could try...
  • Sweet potato
  • Baby red potato
  • Brown rice
  • White rice
  • Whole wheat tortilla
  • ..etc.
ok. i eat white rice a lot...i knew i shoulda brought some with me for lunch..

my dinner last night was pan fried(in OVOO) salmon with a scoop of white rice and veggies... i guess i need to switch it up and eat that kinda dinner on lift days

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Lots of good advice in here so far! As someone who has bulked the past two years and GOTTEN fat, I can offer some assistance on how to avoid that (I currently have the past 3 months eating 3000+ calories on training days)

Osiru, that salad is PERFECT for a NON training day. When you are on a "rest day" (no exercise) then you should only be getting a trace amount of carbs from veggies (potatoes/rice excluded). You simply don't need them, so your body will store as fat! So meals like salad with chicken/beef/whatever are great, same with eggs/bacon etc. My rest days I tend to replace any carb sources with veggies (works as a meal as well as a nutrient macro).

With TRAINING days, you require carbs for energy to be at peak performance (and to be in a peak "anabolic" muscle building state). If you are worried about adding too much fat and want to take the slow and steady route, aim for 150g of carbs peri-workout (before, after, during etc). This would be roughly a cup of rice, or 2 russet potatoes. This will help build muscle just as much as protein.

On rest days, consume more healthy fats (olive/coconut oil, bacon fat, butter, fat from fish/beef etc) to replace your lowered carb intake. On training days, lower your fat intake to make up for higher carb intake! (Dietary fat consumed with a higher insulin level leads to storage)

Protein intake should remain constant, at minimum 1g per lb of bodyweight.
great info dabears! as i stated in my OP i wanna bulk up but i am going to hawaii in 2 weeks so im trying to lift hard to look my best on the beach (and b1tches)

1g per lb of bodyweight?! holy **** im not getting enough at all i dont think. i drank a protein shake when i got to work, then ate a breakfast burrito, and a coffee. then had that salad and will eat some tuna in about an hour. im sure my dinner isnt gonna have those extra grams of protein (eating the same thing i had for dinner last night) what do i do? i weight 157 btw
__________________
>>*David*<<


R.I.P



OrisuE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #48
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrisuE46 View Post
hey man! theres chicken in there somewhere lol. what would be a good lunch? im not big on breakfast at all since i work at 6am. so lunch is usually my biggest meal throughout the day.

i got a pack of tuna ill wax around 130ish for the gym.
Doesn't matter, force yourself to eat breakfast.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #49
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I agree with that. People go nuts over wheat bread when in reality a piece of white bread would hardly be any different. Both of them should be avoided as much as possible I think.
You stick with your bread-less diet, I'll stick with bread...

There's no chance I could go without bread for a day! How am I supposed to eat Tuna? Chicken salad? Egg sandwich?

Last edited by BMW_Matt; 10-24-2012 at 02:55 PM.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #50
OrisuE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 1,082
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
You stick with your bread-less diet, I'll stick with bread...

There's no chance I could go without bread for a day! How am I supposed to eat Tuna? Chicken salad? Egg sandwich?
i eat tuna straight out the pack...

but fuuuuuck i cant wait to start night shift so i can actually get up and make breakfast before the gym/work
__________________
>>*David*<<


R.I.P



OrisuE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #51
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrisuE46 View Post
ok. i eat white rice a lot...i knew i shoulda brought some with me for lunch..

my dinner last night was pan fried(in OVOO) salmon with a scoop of white rice and veggies... i guess i need to switch it up and eat that kinda dinner on lift days
Absolutely, a perfect dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrisuE46 View Post
great info dabears! as i stated in my OP i wanna bulk up but i am going to hawaii in 2 weeks so im trying to lift hard to look my best on the beach (and b1tches)

1g per lb of bodyweight?! holy **** im not getting enough at all i dont think. i drank a protein shake when i got to work, then ate a breakfast burrito, and a coffee. then had that salad and will eat some tuna in about an hour. im sure my dinner isnt gonna have those extra grams of protein (eating the same thing i had for dinner last night) what do i do? i weight 157 btw
thanks! pretty much nothing you do in the next two weeks will make a big difference EXCEPT one thing. You can reduce your water weight by drinking a TON of water (1 gallon+) and reducing sodium intake as much as possible. This will "tone" your body a LOT more than focusing on going hard in the gym.

Yes 1g per lb, and that's the minimum amount. I am 175 lbs, and average 200-225g per day. I achieve this via the following typical meal setup (I understand you have a different schedule but the meal makeup will help)

7 am - 3 Whole Eggs / 3 Pieces of Bacon (650 calories, 30g protein)

12 pm - 2 Chicken Breast / 3/4 lb of Ground Beef / Fish with either Salad or Rice/Potatoes if training later that day. (~900 calories, 65g protein)

6 pm (PWO) - Protein shake with 2 scoops ON whey, 2 cups unsweeteed almond milk, half cup chocolate milk, 3 tablespoons full fat liberte mocha greek yogurt and maybe some berries. (650 calories, 64g protein)

8 pm - Large dinner, similar to lunch (usually have dinner leftovers for lunch) - (~900 calories, 65g protein)

So based on that average day, I'm getting 3100 calories with 224g of protein. (I legitimately wrote down what I've been eating and was praying it was close... bang on! )

This is pretty much how you need to eat to get bigger! Meal timing doesn't matter, as long as you are getting your total macros (proteins, fats, carbs) right and your total calories that you intake are at least 500 more than what you are burning (metabolism + exercise for the day).
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #52
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In the cockpit of an M4!
Posts: 1,795
My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
You stick with your bread-less diet, I'll stick with bread...

There's no chance I could go without bread for a day! How am I supposed to eat Tuna? Chicken salad? Egg sandwich?
+1

While I can eat tuna straight out of the can without a fuss, I refuse to give up bread completely. I eat pizza, tortillas and burgers regularly.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-24-2012 at 03:10 PM.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #53
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
You stick with your bread-less diet, I'll stick with bread...

There's no chance I could go without bread for a day! How am I supposed to eat Tuna? Chicken salad? Egg sandwich?
I cheat lol
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #54
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
You stick with your bread-less diet, I'll stick with bread...

There's no chance I could go without bread for a day! How am I supposed to eat Tuna? Chicken salad? Egg sandwich?
I eat that stuff all the time, its great cold (and therefore portable)... but I just eat it directly off the plate with a fork! Same with pizza.. replaced it with a ground beef / italian sausage crust, and to be honest its 10x better

I have a burger once a month, and eat it with half a bun... my other cheat is fajita wrap every second week. I look forward to it more!
__________________

Last edited by dabears; 10-24-2012 at 03:12 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #55
bimmerchop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 11,044
My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Bread is completely fine... Carbs are completely fine...
__________________
- Rich - Flickr - Stage 3+ TiAL B5 S4

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #56
OrisuE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 1,082
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Absolutely, a perfect dinner.



thanks! pretty much nothing you do in the next two weeks will make a big difference EXCEPT one thing. You can reduce your water weight by drinking a TON of water (1 gallon+) and reducing sodium intake as much as possible. This will "tone" your body a LOT more than focusing on going hard in the gym.

Yes 1g per lb, and that's the minimum amount. I am 175 lbs, and average 200-225g per day. I achieve this via the following typical meal setup (I understand you have a different schedule but the meal makeup will help)

7 am - 3 Whole Eggs / 3 Pieces of Bacon (650 calories, 30g protein)

12 pm - 2 Chicken Breast / 3/4 lb of Ground Beef / Fish with either Salad or Rice/Potatoes if training later that day. (~900 calories, 65g protein)

6 pm (PWO) - Protein shake with 2 scoops ON whey, 2 cups unsweeteed almond milk, half cup chocolate milk, 3 tablespoons full fat liberte mocha greek yogurt and maybe some berries. (650 calories, 64g protein)

8 pm - Large dinner, similar to lunch (usually have dinner leftovers for lunch) - (~900 calories, 65g protein)

So based on that average day, I'm getting 3100 calories with 224g of protein. (I legitimately wrote down what I've been eating and was praying it was close... bang on! )

This is pretty much how you need to eat to get bigger! Meal timing doesn't matter, as long as you are getting your total macros (proteins, fats, carbs) right and your total calories that you intake are at least 500 more than what you are burning (metabolism + exercise for the day).
wow! ok! so drinking more water and less sodium will tone me up? i dont think i consume that much sodium already but i need to drink more water...i was drinking a lot overseas but i need to get back in the habit of drinking water regularly.

i definitely need to prep some meals tonight. i dont think im going to the gym friday since i have to get ready for this show in seattle. so i will switch that workout to saturday which will give me a whole day to plan my meals and get a good pump at the gym (arms day)
__________________
>>*David*<<


R.I.P



OrisuE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #57
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In the cockpit of an M4!
Posts: 1,795
My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
Bread is completely fine... Carbs are completely fine...
Exactly!
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #58
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrisuE46 View Post
wow! ok! so drinking more water and less sodium will tone me up? i dont think i consume that much sodium already but i need to drink more water...i was drinking a lot overseas but i need to get back in the habit of drinking water regularly.
Not promising a "toning miracle" but it would definitely reduce any bloat you have and tighten your skin up, couldn't hurt to try!

Fact is, this stuff takes time... years of dedication and consistency. Whether its worth it or not is something you discover as you progress and try and overcome new challenges and plateaus.

If you can't get meat for a meal ... supplement with whey protein. It's much better than just skipping.
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #59
OrisuE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 1,082
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Not promising a "toning miracle" but it would definitely reduce any bloat you have and tighten your skin up, couldn't hurt to try!

Fact is, this stuff takes time... years of dedication and consistency. Whether its worth it or not is something you discover as you progress and try and overcome new challenges and plateaus.

If you can't get meat for a meal ... supplement with whey protein. It's much better than just skipping.
yeah i dont expect overnight miracles haha. im pretty impressed already of my progression and i find it fun challenging myself in lifting since i dont really have any other hobbies that involve being physically active. im really impressed with all the knowledge this forum has on the topic. i guess ill just have to start bringing my protein with me (since im never at home) everywhere i go lol.

im actually really excited to lift today with all this new info ive received. im gonna try out not running before my lift and just stretch and run after. i will also be drinking a lot more water now. im honestly not even sure if i should do squats today since im going to freaknight on friday and i dont wanna be sore...but my recovery time hasnt been too bad so i dont think it will be a problem
__________________
>>*David*<<


R.I.P



OrisuE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #60
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I eat that stuff all the time, its great cold (and therefore portable)... but I just eat it directly off the plate with a fork! Same with pizza.. replaced it with a ground beef / italian sausage crust, and to be honest its 10x better

I have a burger once a month, and eat it with half a bun... my other cheat is fajita wrap every second week. I look forward to it more!
That sounds awful. To be completely honest, my body is good enough and there's 0 reason to cut out bread.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use