E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #81
Silversixspeed

My Ride: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
From a "scientific" standpoint on why demanding cardio is a no-no before a weightlifting session:

Glycogen in the muscles enables high exertion, and you only have so much of it in your bodily stores. It is replaced via dietary carbs for the most part. Consider this your "endurance". If you exert yourself before trying to lift heavy weights, your glycogen will pretty much be depleted, and your workout (and therefore gains) will suffer. You want to be in prime condition to go as hard and heavy as possible, and you shouldn't even THINK about being able to go for a run after. There are some days after a leg workout where I struggle to push the clutch down in my car lol

There's a lot more to this but I tried my best at a simple explanation
So do you guys not do any cardio stuff on lifting days? Do you have cardio specific days?
I run before lifting as well (as a warm up), and usually like to do some cardio after, but after reading I'm wondering if there's a better approach to this..
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #82
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversixspeed View Post
So do you guys not do any cardio stuff on lifting days? Do you have cardio specific days?
I run before lifting as well (as a warm up), and usually like to do some cardio after, but after reading I'm wondering if there's a better approach to this..
I used to on my old program, but I haven't done any dedicated long-duration cardio (i.e..machines) in months. I've run sprints occasionally, but even that only lasts 10-15 minutes.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-24-2012 at 06:30 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #83
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
A brief jog is one thing, but actually running before is a huge
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #84
Silversixspeed

So an easy 5 minute jog on the treadmill or 5-10 minutes on an eliptical is acceptable for a warm up?

Not to threadjack, but I find myself to have a decent build, I'm more or less focusing on cutting down that last little bit. I've only got 7.XX% bodyfat, but honestly it doesn't show (in my opinion). Cardio has gotten me much closer to where I want to be in that regard, however my diet has definitely been what's holding me back. I'm just worried that stopping/lessening the cardio will result in gained weight (not muscle), but the more I read it sounds like diet has more to do with it than anything. Is this true?

Last edited by Silversixspeed; 10-24-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #85
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
So an easy 5 minute jog on the treadmill or 5-10 minutes on an eliptical is acceptable for a warm up?

Not to threadjack, but I find myself to have a decent build, I'm more or less focusing on cutting down that last little bit. I've only got 7.XX% bodyfat, but honestly it doesn't show (in my opinion). Cardio has gotten me much closer to where I want to be in that regard, however my diet has definitely been what's holding me back. I'm just worried that stopping/lessening the cardio will result in gained weight (not muscle), but the more I read it sounds like diet has more to do with it than anything. Is this true?

Post a pic.

P.S. Yes....diet has more to do with it than anything.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #86
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
yeah you dont want to run long before a workout. sometimes ill do a 1000-2000m row before a workout to warmup
Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #87
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
yeah you dont want to run long before a workout. sometimes ill do a 1000-2000m row before a workout to warmup
Love rowing to warm up. Way better than running for a good warmup prior to lifting.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #88
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
yeah dude. hits your core too.full body warmup. row/foam roll/ quick bar warm up and im ready
Old 10-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #89
Silversixspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Post a pic.

P.S. Yes....diet has more to do with it than anything.
I'll try to as soon as i've got internet access with a computer, my phone wont let me. And gotcha, time to do some grocery shopping!
Old 10-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #90
Hockeyman17

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Love rowing to warm up. Way better than running for a good warmup prior to lifting.
I miss the CrossFit rower. Nothing would floor me like 5 mins on that at the end of a workout.
Hockeyman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #91
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:

Not to threadjack, but I find myself to have a decent build, I'm more or less focusing on cutting down that last little bit. i've only got 7.XX% bodyfat, but honestly it doesn't show (in my opinion). Cardio has gotten me much closer to where I want to be in that regard, however my diet has definitely been what's holding me back. I'm just worried that stopping/lessening the cardio will result in gained weight (not muscle), but the more I read it sounds like diet has more to do with it than anything. Is this true?
No offense, but no, no you don't. Especially if you say diet is your weak point.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #92
OrisuE46

My Ride: 325xi
well yesterday kicked my ass. i was working on my form on front squats and still couldnt find a comfortable position. my legs are dead today though...i was so burnt out after my workout i dont think i coulda ran anyways. but today ill probably run a couple miles to make up for the last few days.

R.I.P

OrisuE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #93
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrisuE46 View Post
well yesterday kicked my ass. i was working on my form on front squats and still couldnt find a comfortable position. my legs are dead today though...i was so burnt out after my workout i dont think i coulda ran anyways. but today ill probably run a couple miles to make up for the last few days.
you want to build muscle right? Chill out.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #94
OrisuE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
you want to build muscle right? Chill out.
fine

R.I.P

Old 10-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #95
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Running = catabolic exercise
Sprinting = much better

If you still want some cardio, do interval sprints. Endurance running will actually hurt your goals, like solly said
Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #96
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
No offense, but no, no you don't. Especially if you say diet is your weak point.
I was thinking the same thing lol
Old 10-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #97
OrisuE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Running = catabolic exercise
Sprinting = much better

If you still want some cardio, do interval sprints. Endurance running will actually hurt your goals, like solly said
im sore as fvck. i'll try that though.

R.I.P

Old 10-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #98
Silversixspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
It's probably not incredibly accurate, but at work we've got this "wellness team" that comes in and gives us tests and whatnot. Both times I've tested right around 7.7% bodyfat.
Granted, all they did was have us stand barefoot on a high-tech weight scale, and hold probes in our hands while it apparently sent electrical signals through the body.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #99
dabears

Quote:
It's probably not incredibly accurate, but at work we've got this "wellness team" that comes in and gives us tests and whatnot. Both times I've tested right around 7.7% bodyfat.
Granted, all they did was have us stand barefoot on a high-tech weight scale, and hold probes in our hands while it apparently sent electrical signals through the body.
Your bodyfat % will be low if your water weight is high. You probably got tested after a bunch of fluid intake throughout the day. There is also a variance of +/- 5% with those types of bioelectrical impedance scales.

Once you post a pic its fairly easy to ballpark your bodyfat. A 7% bodyfat would mean you are RIPPED. Like full 6 pack, obliques showing, veins everywhere etc.

Nobody would ever call me fat, and my scale says I'm at 16.9% bodyfat when measured in the morning after a piss (most accurate time). I am around 14% based on my physique.

Caliper skinfold tests are the only economical version of decent body fat measurements.

Last edited by dabears; 10-25-2012 at 11:26 AM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #100
OrisuE46

how much bodyfat does it look like i have? im guessing upper 20's?

R.I.P