E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #101
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversixspeed View Post
It's probably not incredibly accurate, but at work we've got this "wellness team" that comes in and gives us tests and whatnot. Both times I've tested right around 7.7% bodyfat.
Granted, all they did was have us stand barefoot on a high-tech weight scale, and hold probes in our hands while it apparently sent electrical signals through the body.
Lol weathermen have a better chance of being right than that thing does.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #102
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Your bodyfat % will be low if your water weight is high. You probably got tested after a bunch of fluid intake throughout the day. There is also a variance of +/- 5% with those types of bioelectrical impedance scales.

Once you post a pic its fairly easy to ballpark your bodyfat. A 7% bodyfat would mean you are RIPPED. Like full 6 pack, obliques showing, veins everywhere etc.

Nobody would ever call me fat, and my scale says I'm at 16.9% bodyfat when measured in the morning after a piss (most accurate time). I am around 14% based on my physique.

Caliper skinfold tests are the only economical version of decent body fat measurements.
Eh yeah skin fold is better than the electrode, but still have a large margin of error. More skin folds, the less margin of error...If you really want to know, get underwater bf testing done. That's the most accurate.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #103
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrisuE46 View Post
how much bodyfat does it look like i have? im guessing upper 20's?
Haha no way man, my guess is 17-19%
Old 10-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #104
OrisuE46

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Haha no way man, my guess is 17-19%
lol i dunno. i was just assuming you were way skinnier than me.

R.I.P

OrisuE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #105
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Eh yeah skin fold is better than the electrode, but still have a large margin of error. More skin folds, the less margin of error...If you really want to know, get underwater bf testing done. That's the most accurate.
University in my city is only place that offers hydrostatic testing, and you have to be in the athletic program to even have access... which is annoying.

Second best bet is a DEXA scan but the clinic that offers it in charges $100 per session lol
Old 10-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #106
dabears

Quote:
lol i dunno. i was just assuming you were way skinnier than me.
To be honest based on your pic if you worked out hard like you plan to and eat big meals you'll see incredible results in 3-5 months I believe.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #107
OrisuE46

Quote:
To be honest based on your pic if you worked out hard like you plan to and eat big meals you'll see incredible results in 3-5 months I believe.
i plan to work very hard. my legs and hams are so sore i need some ibuprofen for real. i did a bunch of front squat sets to get comfortable but it just felt awkward to me. im dont think i like front squats very much!

R.I.P

Old 10-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #108
Silversixspeed

My Ride: Too many to list
Quote:
Your bodyfat % will be low if your water weight is high. You probably got tested after a bunch of fluid intake throughout the day. There is also a variance of +/- 5% with those types of bioelectrical impedance scales.

Once you post a pic its fairly easy to ballpark your bodyfat. A 7% bodyfat would mean you are RIPPED. Like full 6 pack, obliques showing, veins everywhere etc.

Nobody would ever call me fat, and my scale says I'm at 16.9% bodyfat when measured in the morning after a piss (most accurate time). I am around 14% based on my physique.

Caliper skinfold tests are the only economical version of decent body fat measurements.
Ahh, I see. I always wondered how accurate their testing was, and yeah I drank plenty of water before that probably.
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #109
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
fine
Quote:
i plan to work very hard. my legs and hams are so sore i need some ibuprofen for real. i did a bunch of front squat sets to get comfortable but it just felt awkward to me. im dont think i like front squats very much!
They feel more natural to me than back squats. I love them. Are your elbows up high? I know a lot of people have issues with their wrist flexibility.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #110
OrisuE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
They feel more natural to me than back squats. I love them. Are your elbows up high? I know a lot of people have issues with their wrist flexibility.
i couldnt get my elbows up high...they were always pointed outward. the crossgrip just doesnt seem safe to me either. my wrist hurt like hell after the first few sets doing the clean grip

R.I.P

Old 10-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #111
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Yeah i really never back squat. Put weight on the bar and practice racking and unracking.

Whatup bro

Didn't you go to Afghanistan ?

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 10-25-2012 at 12:58 PM.
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #112
OrisuE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
Yeah i really never back squat. Put weight on the bar and practice racking and unracking.

Whatup bro

Didn't you go to Afghanistan ?
sup dude!

yeah i just got back a couple weeks ago. what an experience to say the least.

back squats are so much easier for me. i put about 50 on the bar and practiced but i just couldnt get into a comfy grip to squat. it was hurting my wrist like crazy.

R.I.P

Old 10-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #113
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
i couldnt get my elbows up high...they were always pointed outward. the crossgrip just doesnt seem safe to me either. my wrist hurt like hell after the first few sets doing the clean grip
You'll achieve the flexibility. Keep at it! It took a couple of weeks for me to find the grip as well, but once I did my front squat weight increased significantly.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #114
OrisuE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
You'll achieve the flexibility. Keep at it! It took a couple of weeks for me to find the grip as well, but once I did my front squat weight increased significantly.
yeah i figured it was first time so i dont expect to get the technique down so easily. i definitely got a good workout in though. i cant do sh1t today though. i got no sleep along with the soreness is draining all my energy.

R.I.P

Old 10-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #115
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:
Yup... Back when I started to do front squats, it took me awhile as well to find a comfortable enough grip. I struggled with wrist and elbow pain if I wasn't careful.

Recently though, I've been doing wide stance back squats in their place on my hypertrophy leg days. In about a month or so, I'll alternate back to front squats.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #116
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by orisue46 View Post
yeah i figured it was first time so i dont expect to get the technique down so easily. I definitely got a good workout in though. I cant do sh1t today though. I got no sleep along with the soreness is draining all my energy.

Eat!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-25-2012 at 03:17 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #117
OrisuE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
Yup... Back when I started to do front squats, it took me awhile as well to find a comfortable enough grip. I struggled with wrist and elbow pain if I wasn't careful.

Recently though, I've been doing wide stance back squats in their place on my hypertrophy leg days. In about a month or so, I'll alternate back to front squats.
maybe i should try that wide stance. i need to work on my flexibility

Quote:
Eat!
i ate plenty already! 2 chicken wraps for breakfast and 1 big ass chicken burrito for lunch. im sleepy now hahaha

edit: and a protein shake

R.I.P

Last edited by OrisuE46; 10-25-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #118
dabears

why did you get a bad sleep? You probably know this, but muscle building is similar to a triangles points... you need all three to complete the triangle, or in this case to build muscle.

The three points are Training / Nutrition / Rest... none are more important than the other, and all need to be respected.

I mention it because surprisingly people forget how important proper sleep is... 8 hours a night minimum!
Old 10-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #119
OrisuE46

Quote:
why did you get a bad sleep? You probably know this, but muscle building is similar to a triangles points... you need all three to complete the triangle, or in this case to build muscle.

The three points are Training / Nutrition / Rest... none are more important than the other, and all need to be respected.

I mention it because surprisingly people forget how important proper sleep is... 8 hours a night minimum!
i couldnt sleep 8hrs if i wanted to...just not how my body works. i was up late saying bye to a friend that left today to texas. once i got home i had to prep my meals for today and then i got ready for bed...by the time i knew it-it was past 1am and i get up at 5. im honestly not even gonna lift today. im going straight home to my bed, if i got the energy ill go around 8-9 tonight. but i literally have no energy right now.

R.I.P

Old 10-26-2012, 03:22 AM   #120
OrisuE46

Well I took a nap at 4pm And now it's 1am...this is why I can't take naps. But I did sleep 9hrs

R.I.P