E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #21
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
What I want to know if who owns the actual technology patent to the touch screen. At first i thought Apple was suing for that since they were the first to introduce the iphone with a touch screen design and no, Palm pilots dont count. So are Apple and Samsung paying royalties to the company that developed the touch screen?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #22
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDiv View Post
It's really the patent office's fault for handing out patents for even the most generic of features.

Nonetheless, I will never own an apple product. The reasons are numerous. The fact that they put form over function couldn't be any further from my personal philosophy. The financial end of things bothers me too. There is very little value for the dollar vs. competitive products, and I don't like the way that apple finds a way to keep you continually paying them. Why are so few macs used in business? Because the only thing it accomplishes is increasing your company's hardware costs by 25%.

And finally I hate the whole apple culture. They are a group of people who tend to think of themselves as far more intelligent than the average person, BUT they will wait outside of a store for a product for days, they believe everything that the company tells them as gospel, regardless of the reality. The 'amazing iphone' ? really, I guess that I'm not that easily amazed.

i wish i could put my thoughts into words like some of you, but, for some reason i can't , maybe it's the adhd

so ty

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #23
wasp9166
ima touching member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqr View Post
What I want to know if who owns the actual technology patent to the touch screen. At first i thought Apple was suing for that since they were the first to introduce the iphone with a touch screen design and no, Palm pilots dont count. So are Apple and Samsung paying royalties to the company that developed the touch screen?
The Birth of Touch Screens
In 1971 a professor from the University of Kentucky, Dr. Sam Hurst, filed a patent for a "touch sensor", called the Elograph.

Five-Wire Resistive Technology
The first true touchscreen patent was filed by Dr. Hurst in 1972. Using his patented five-wire resistive technology, this patent would go on to be the most widely used form of touchscreen technology, and is still popular today.

IBM's Touchscreen
In 1985, IBM developed their own touchscreen technology for use with their PCs. This touchscreen was developed by Brad Marshall.

Ergonomic Challenges
Touchscreen technology was popular in the 1970s and early 1980s, but ergonomic issues led to the decline of touchscreen use in the 1980s. One common complaint was "gorilla arm", where prolonged use of a vertical touchscreen would lead to intense cramping in the arm.

Modern Uses
Touchscreen technology is in wide use today, in many forms. The Apple iPhone uses touchscreen technology, as does the Nintendo DS handheld. Many ATM machines use older touchscreen patents.

got me

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 10-23-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #24
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
anddd it gets better. dutch authorities rule against apples multi-touch claims:

http://www.slashgear.com/apple-loses...ourt-24253731/
Old 10-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #25
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by albeee View Post
While I am not an Apple fan (actually, not really a fan of anything; I have zero brand loyalty), I am going to have to disagree on this. While they certainly advertise their looks, one of the reasons why they sell so many of their products is because of user-friendliness.
User friendliness? What's more user friendly about the iPhone 5 than about the iPhone 4, or about the iPhone 4 than about the iPhone 3G?

If we're talking user friendliness, surely you'd talk about the approach the software is used, but it's been the same software ever since the beginning with an added feature here and there.

The phone being 18 percent thinner and 20 percent lighter than an already light and thin phone is not user-friendliness.

Quote:
The interface is very polished in look and feel, and while there is a learning curve, once you learn how to use one Apple product, it doesn't take much effort to pick up on another (you don't have to "un-learn" anything). Even when I plug my iPod into my PC, using iTunes and transferring files is relatively seamless. The fact that you can buy an iPod and not worry if it will work with your Macbook or not is, I say, a pretty good indication that they thought about function as well.
That's marketing talk. There's nothing significant about that.

Quote:
Now, if you want to talk about form, we can discuss how they "stole" Braun's designs from the 1960s (yet you don't hear Braun/Dieter Rams crying out about it), but that's a totally different discussion for another thread and I'm really not all that interested in it.
Their form really is all they've got. That and marketing. People say that the Nexus 7 feels plasticky in comparison and that the iPad Mini feels like a slab of aluminum or whatnot. For $130 more per item, don't you think that ASUS could have made something that feels just as good, if not better?

Apple has the name. It's the same thing as BMW. I own both. But I try not to deceive myself.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #26
wasp9166
ima touching member

it's apple friendly, thinner breaks more

when does it end? will phones eventually be the size of postage stamps?

then they will have apple eyeglasses

Quote:

Last edited by wasp9166; 10-24-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #27
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
it's apple friendly, thinner breaks more

when does it end? will phones eventually be the size of postage stamps?

then they will have apple eyeglasses
Google is already trying that. No self respecting person would wear those hideous things.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #28
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet

Anyways, here's the last patent infringement case of "universal search" that got a ban put on the Galaxy Nexus. It was completely reversed.

http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic....21011155002687

The last few paragraphs get interesting and don't bode well for the current case at hand, which is currently headed to an appeals court now. Koh's credibility has taken a hit.

Judge Richard Posner, a highly respected judge who would likely be consulted in the case of a policy change, has openly voiced his opinion of the ineffectiveness of software patents in today's market, so maybe some change could at least come about due to this big mess.

Last edited by jeffro3000; 10-24-2012 at 08:35 AM.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #29
wasp9166
ima touching member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
Google is already trying that. No self respecting person would wear those hideous things.
what? glasses? for what?

i was really only kidding in jest,....................lol wow

Quote:

Last edited by wasp9166; 10-24-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #30
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
what? glasses? for what?

i was really only kidding in jest,....................lol wow
You haven't seen the google glasses?

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #31
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Smart glasses?

Apple already has a patent on those.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #32
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Smart glasses?

I thought you were joking: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/wor...etitor-1090407
Old 10-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #33
albeee

My Ride: Fit, Z4, XJ6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
User friendliness? What's more user friendly about the iPhone 5 than about the iPhone 4, or about the iPhone 4 than about the iPhone 3G?

If we're talking user friendliness, surely you'd talk about the approach the software is used, but it's been the same software ever since the beginning with an added feature here and there.

The phone being 18 percent thinner and 20 percent lighter than an already light and thin phone is not user-friendliness.

That's marketing talk. There's nothing significant about that.

Their form really is all they've got. That and marketing. People say that the Nexus 7 feels plasticky in comparison and that the iPad Mini feels like a slab of aluminum or whatnot. For $130 more per item, don't you think that ASUS could have made something that feels just as good, if not better?

Apple has the name. It's the same thing as BMW. I own both. But I try not to deceive myself.

What are you on about? Did you read the post that I am replying to? Or are you just trying to start an argument for argument's sake? I never mentioned anything about the new iPhone. I couldn't care less, since I don't own one. But I do use an iPad, and there's an old iPod that's plugged in my car all the time. No, each software update doesn't significantly change what they are already using. But does it need to be? Why mess with a good thing? Many carmakers follow this formula. Has Windows changed that dramatically in look and feel since Windows 95? The interface has, essentially, been the same, cleaning up this bit here and polishing that bit there. When you do a complete turnaround from what you're already doing, not only do you have new kinks to iron out, you also risk alienating existing customers. Apple found their winning formula, and stuck with it. Once their platforms are rendered obsolete and fatally flawed by the competition, maybe they'll come up with something. But as of now, I don't see why a complete change is necessary.

And there is something to be said about ease of use and compatibility. Not everyone gets it right. Apple probably markets it as something greater than it actually is, but it is not an unfounded claim. I liken it to Adobe CS, something I use day in and day out. The look and feel is very similar across the board, and it flattens the learning curve when I jump into a new program. And on that note, is the CS3 SO much better than CS5 in terms of user-friendliness? No, but a new feature here and there makes it a little easier and more in tune with what people need these days.

Apple has the form factor down. And even with that, I can't completely give them credit since they (heavily) borrowed from Braun, and Jonathan Ive openly admits it and refers to it all the time.

So, no one is trying to deceive themselves here. If you are going to pick through my post without anything substantial to say, move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
stancewerks is for dudes who pick up dudes for a little stretch and poke.

Last edited by albeee; 10-24-2012 at 10:42 AM.
albeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #34
'busa

Quote:
What are you on about? Did you read the post that I am replying to? Or are you just trying to start an argument for argument's sake?
Yes, I read both. What part of my post seems argumentative to you?

Quote:
I never mentioned anything about the new iPhone.
Apple makes those. It was an example.

Quote:
I couldn't care less, since I don't own one. But I do use an iPad, and there's an old iPod that's plugged in my car all the time. No, each software update doesn't significantly change what they are already using. But does it need to be? Why mess with a good thing? Many carmakers follow this formula.
A car does not evolve as quickly as electronics and software do.
Quote:
Has Windows changed that dramatically in look and feel since Windows 95?
Yes.

Quote:
The interface has, essentially, been the same, cleaning up this bit here and polishing that bit there. When you do a complete turnaround from what you're already doing, not only do you have new kinks to iron out, you also risk alienating existing customers. Apple found their winning formula, and stuck with it. Once their platforms are rendered obsolete and fatally flawed by the competition, maybe they'll come up with something. But as of now, I don't see why a complete change is necessary.
No one is asking for a complete change, but when the CEO of a company tells you that you don't need MMS and you should just email pictures at one event, then touts MMS as the greatest thing since sliced bread at the next, it should smell like bullsh*t, no?

Quote:
And there is something to be said about ease of use and compatibility. Not everyone gets it right. Apple probably markets it as something greater than it actually is, but it is not an unfounded claim. I liken it to Adobe CS, something I use day in and day out. The look and feel is very similar across the board, and it flattens the learning curve when I jump into a new program. And on that note, is the CS3 SO much better than CS5 in terms of user-friendliness? No, but a new feature here and there makes it a little easier and more in tune with what people need these days.

Apple has the form factor down. And even with that, I can't completely give them credit since they (heavily) borrowed from Braun, and Jonathan Ive openly admits it and refers to it all the time.

So, no one is trying to deceive themselves here. If you are going to pick through my post without anything substantial to say, move on.
I'm simply saying that they're overpriced and endlessly tout design and feel because those are things that are hard to quantify but easy to charge for. That's all.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #35
albeee

Well that's their marketing department hard at work. Good on you that you can see past the smoke and mirrors. But again, for the average Apple fanboy and the religion they have spawned, you can't say it hasn't worked. They charge for all this because they can. Doesn't mean they should, but they are in the business of selling things, not evaluating their conscience.

Quote:
Old 10-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #36
'busa

Quote:
Well that's their marketing department hard at work. Good on you that you can see past the smoke and mirrors. But again, for the average Apple fanboy and the religion they have spawned, you can't say it hasn't worked. They charge for all this because they can. Doesn't mean they should, but they are in the business of selling things, not evaluating their conscience.
Oh, absolutely. I can't blame them. I just can't understand how tech journalists look at this data and even though it's priced 65% higher, with a lower resolution, older internals and no distinguishing features, they continue to write stuff like this:
"To be clear, it's an incredibly thin and light design, with a lean profile despite being larger than some of the devices it challenges. Like most Apple products, the build of the smaller tablet is excellent, easily surpassing the competition on the market. By comparison, the Nexus 7 and Fire HD feel like toys. Other manufacturers are going to have to up their game with this product in town. It's just a striking difference in materials and solidness.
So in short, the $329 iPad mini seems a lot like an iPad... just smaller.
The thinness and sleekness of the casing cannot be overstated. It feels as high-end as the new iPhone, but even sharper in the hand like a slice of solid aluminum."

Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #37
albeee

They're the media, part of their job is to sensationalize. I dunno, I studied Industrial Design so I'm pretty jaded when it comes to these things. Half the battle is trying to sell the monster you've created to the company bosses, and when the marketing department gets a hold of it, they go to town. Then there's the media. By the time it gets to the consumer, they have to sift through so much BS before they can do an honest comparison of products.

Quote:

Last edited by albeee; 10-24-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #38
E36Eric

My Ride: E36
Send a message via AIM to E36Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Smart glasses?

They're going to call it "iglasses" and all the fanbois will be "oh wow, that is so original!"

eyeglasses. get it?

Old 10-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #39
wasp9166
ima touching member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Eric View Post
They're going to call it "iglasses" and all the fanbois will be "oh wow, that is so original!"

eyeglasses. get it?

lol, where does it end

Quote:
Old 10-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #40
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
lol, what a bunch of sore losers and douche bags over @ apple

Quote:
Apple posts Samsung ruling on website
Apple has posted a statement about the Apple vs Samsung ruling as ordered by a judge, but it's not that easy to find on the company's website

The Samsung/Apple UK judgement link on Apple's UK website
If you can find Apple's acknowledgement ordered by a judge that Korean rival Samsung did not infringe its iPad design on its website, you've either got a big screen or sharp eyes. Or both.

As ordered by the court of appeal, Apple on Friday posted a link at the bottom of its UK website entitled simply "Samsung/Apple UK judgement", on the same line and minimal font size as its terms of use, privacy and cookies policies.

For most users, finding it would require scrolling down a page dominated by pictures of its new iPad mini, iMacs and iPhone.

The link will remain there for one month, as ordered by the judges. The company has also been ordered to take out advertisements in publications including the Daily Mail, Financial Times and T3 magazine to "correct the damaging impression" that Samsung copied its designs.

The acknowledgement is the latest in an ongoing worldwide series of court battles between Apple and Samsung, its biggest rival in the smartphone and tablet market.

The South Korean company already leads the smartphone market, having shipped twice as many smartphones worldwide about 56m as Apple did between July and October.

Apple has sued Samsung over accusations of infringing its patents and designs in multiple countries, including the US, UK, Germany, Australia and Japan.

Samsung has countersued over both design and standards-essential patents although the latter has triggered investigations into whether it is abusing its position in the US and Europe.

The appeal court judges did accede to Apple's request that it should not have to put the acknowledgement on its home page in order to keep it "uncluttered".

Sir Robin Jacob said: "All that need be added is a link entitled Samsung/Apple UK judgment. I think that would be appropriate and proportionate."

Apple has taken that allowance literally and also indulged in a subtle piece of passive-aggressive publicity.

The text of the acknowledgement takes extracts from the decision in July by Judge Colin Birss, who said that there could be no confusion in the mind of an informed person between Apple's iPad and Samsung's Galaxy Tab tablet designs: "From the front they belong to the family which includes the Apple design; but the Samsung products are very thin, almost insubstantial members of that family with unusual details on the back. They do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design. They are not as cool."

Apple also take the chance to add in some extra information that was not in Birss's ruling, pointing to a case in Germany where the court found that Samsung engaged in unfair competition by copying the iPad design and pointing to its US win, where a jury found Samsung guilty of infringing on Apple's design and utility patents, awarding more than $1bn (620m) in damages to Apple.

It rounds that off with what might be seen as a subtle swipe at Birss's decision: "So while the UK court did not find Samsung guilty of infringement, other courts have recognised that in the course of creating its Galaxy tablet, Samsung willfully copied Apple's far more popular iPad."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...?newsfeed=true