E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
indee321

Advice needed with 323i exhaust please

Hi guys this is my first post here on fanatics .. ive read some really good advice and opinions over the last 6 months so thought it was about time i joined in. I know this question has been asked before as ive read and researched as much about it as i can find, but i dont seem to be able to find a good quality 'defininitive' answer.. so here goes

I have recently bought a 1999 saloon e46 323i. Its immaculate with only 60k on the clock.. so please no ' buy a bigger engine' as im very happy with it.

its an M52TU engine and ive already exchanged the inlet manifold for an M54B30. I would like to know what i can now do with the exhaust sytem to complete the mod. All i would ultimately like to try and do is gain similar hp and torque as the 325i which shouldnt be impossible as they are the same engine capacity. I dont think realistically i will be changing the dif.

I realise the intake and exhaust mod alone wont do this.. the last thing i will do after all mods is rolling road and tune the software.

The 'headers' are restrictive and they contain the cats on these cars so removing them isnt an option for me. But if i can ditectly replace it with a system that has the cats further down line that would be an option. As i understand it the e46 323i standard manifold / header is the same size as the 328i, is that correct? If it is , there isnt really a great deal of point in going sport or bigger tubing etc with my existing manifold as its unlikely i'll be getting anywhere near 328i levels of hp / torque, agreed?

So what are my options for the exhaust from the standard header back? the 323i M52TU is a little unique therefor limited in options? I am wondering what other standard exhausts would replace mine. Is a 328i M52TU exhaust a direct replacement? Or can i use something from the the M54 range, maybe even the whole system including the headers?

Any help much apreciated

Last edited by indee321; 01-28-2016 at 08:02 AM.
indee321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
iowna330xi

My Ride: is fast.
Okay, I'm actually in the same spot as you. I don't want to get headers as that'll make my car wayy too loud, but the thing is is that the 323 is a single exhaust pipe from the first resonator to the back where it exits at the dual pipe muffler. I have a UUC tse2 in my garage waiting to be installed. It is one of the best exhausts for the e46. But the thing is is that the UUC is a dual pipe muffler and the car is a single.
So what I've though is that I am going to get a 328i first resonator and bolt than on and delete the second resonator. So this way, the car is converted from a single pipe to a dual.
P.s. Don't listen to my username... It's lying

Last edited by iowna330xi; 01-27-2016 at 07:31 PM.
iowna330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
indee321

Great to hear from you thanks for reply.. im here in the uk not sure if that changes things much apart from terminology.. yes a agree woth you about sport headers being way too loud and i dont want to risk the dreaded 'drone' everyone talks about. Have you found any reliable posts that prove a complete duel pipe set up is a bennefit for our m52tu's. from what i can gather it should be but again nothing definitive. i havent heard of the uuc tse2 i will look into it and see what claims they make about peformance enhancement. I'd be really interested to read about your results after you've fitted it all in. Have you also changed the inlet manifold? I def lost some torque but gained a much 'free'er' feeling rev / acceleration.. i think that mod is the basis for any other mod to be built on for our cars.. do you know anything about the m52TU 328i exhaust ? I have a feeling that is also a single pipe set up and the cats are 'possibly' further down the system and not in the manifold like ours are. Again i'd like someone to clarify if poss.

Last edited by indee321; 01-28-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:58 AM   #4
Synrgy

My Ride: 2000 323i
If you want the same!e power as a 325i you could just install Dinan software or use a shark tuner. That brings the 323i up to 325i power levels. Seems cheaper that way too.
Synrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #5
indee321

Thanks synrgy.. we cant use the shark here in europe apparently ?? will look into dinan ..thinking if i had the dinan software , would i not need the hardware (ie bigger air intake bigger exhaust) for the software to work properly ? If the dinan software actually did bring the 323 up to 325 levels of hp and torque without swapping the exhaust what would happen if i went ahead and swapped out the exhaust ,further gains? or would i then need to 'retune' the software to get the best results..any thoughts about that welcome .. still very much open to comments / ideas about the 323 exhaust mod please !!

Last edited by indee321; 01-28-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
iowna330xi

My Ride: is fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indee321 View Post
Great to hear from you thanks for reply.. im here in the uk not sure if that changes things much apart from terminology.. yes a agree woth you about sport headers being way too loud and i dont want to risk the dreaded 'drone' everyone talks about. Have you found any reliable posts that prove a complete duel pipe set up is a bennefit for our m52tu's. from what i can gather it should be but again nothing definitive. i havent heard of the uuc tse2 i will look into it and see what claims they make about peformance enhancement. I'd be really interested to read about your results after you've fitted it all in. Have you also changed the inlet manifold? I def lost some torque but gained a much 'free'er' feeling rev / acceleration.. i think that mod is the basis for any other mod to be built on for our cars.. do you know anything about the m52TU 328i exhaust ? I have a feeling that is also a single pipe set up and the cats are 'possibly' further down the system and not in the manifold like ours are. Again i'd like someone to clarify if poss.
The UUC tse2 is the older version of the tse3. Go on YouTube and search some videos of the UUC. I really like the sound. Oh and if you don't want a much louder exhaust, get the "light" version of that exhaust.

Last edited by iowna330xi; 01-28-2016 at 10:23 AM.
iowna330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #7
Rob43
Performance Suspension Guru

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
The Shark won't work on Euro ECU's, that's unfortunate because your motor would have Really responded well to it.

Buy a Schmiedmann SCM5254 system, it's probably the best system you can buy for your Bimmer.

Rob43
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_62671_big.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	623147  

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & XI E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:39 PM   #8
indee321

Looks like a work of art rob ! gorgess looking system and i just went online to check out the price and its actually not too bad. The 20 hp increase claim would be ideal .. that with some dinan software (if dinan is euro compatible) or a reputable rolling tune would put the 323 right up there comfortably. Still looking at all possibilities and still interested if anyone knows of another model of bmw exhaust that could replace mine easily.. but the schmiedmann is looking like a strong contender
Appreciate all the responce !

Last edited by indee321; 01-28-2016 at 01:19 PM.