E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
DIY: M54/M52tu Camshaft Removal, Installation, and Timing

First of all, I want to thank German Auto Solutions for the great set of timing tools they offer that made this DIY possible and affordable for me. The tools are only $100.00 for the personal grade kit and $220 for the professional grade kit and can be purchased at http://www.germanautosolutions.com

My review of these kits is posted here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=952117

Edit*** for the sake of more affordable picture hosting for myself and ensuring that everything stays working and online. The instructions have been moved here:

http://performance46.com/do-it-yours...on-and-timing/

I will still reply to any questions and concerns regarding the DIY via these forums as required.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 05-21-2015 at 02:57 PM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
///Mvious

My Ride: E46 330
Big thanks from all of us fanatics that have this mod on the goal list! I know this DIY took a $h1t ton of time to put together...
///Mvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
jared_wiesner

Instructions have been moved to: http://performance46.com/do-it-yours...on-and-timing/

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 05-21-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
jared_wiesner

Instructions have been moved to: http://performance46.com/do-it-yours...on-and-timing/

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 05-21-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
jared_wiesner

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 05-21-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
jared_wiesner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBbimmer View Post
Big thanks from all of us fanatics that have this mod on the goal list! I know this DIY took a $h1t ton of time to put together...
No Problem! I hope lots of people can get some good use out of this.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
benzovs

My Ride: 2000 323i
Very good write up! This is a very involved and difficult job. Not for the faint of heart. You seem to be a good tech and know what you are doing. It's going to come in handy for a select few die hard fanatics willing to tackle this type of project, but it will be very helpful.
benzovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
fred0k

My Ride: 2000 328
Is there a way to set the helix cup's without the use of a jig? Like a measurment from how far they come out or align with the head edge or some thing..I have the cam holding blocks but would really like to get this thing back together without buying/waiting on a frt vanos tool...Also if the helix cups are set correct will it bend valve are just run poorly..Thanks
fred0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
jared_wiesner

I don't know if you could measure accurately enough to get the timing just perfect. You could probably get it close enough to run if you had measurements. You should get in touch with German Auto Solutions. If you already have the holding blocks, I'm sure he could work out a deal to send you just the pins from their personal timing kit that fit into your Vanos unit and tensioner. (they effectively slide into your Vanos to hold it at the right spot and then you use it as the Vanos alignment tool.)

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 10-27-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
All this did is make me want to pay someone to do this

Awesome DIY! Just a word of caution. If you have an aftermarket flywheel...make sure it has the detent for the TDC pin. My UUC wheel does not. So its a ghetto prybar in the sprocket teeth on the flywheel.

Last edited by bigjae1976; 10-27-2012 at 09:56 AM.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
jared_wiesner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
All this did is make me want to pay someone to do this

Awesome DIY! Just a word of caution. If you have an aftermarket flywheel...make sure it has the detent for the TDC pin. My UUC wheel does not. So its a ghetto prybar in the sprocket teeth on the flywheel.
It's definitely the way I felt for a while when I thought about doing this. (Though that was more when i was contemplating doing it without tools) Now that I've done it, if you have a couple days and some good German beer , then it's not that bad. It's long, but if you really watch yourself and don't rush, you'll be fine. And thanks for the note about the flywheel. That's part of the reason I make you lock the flywheel at TDC at the beginning of the DIY even though you will have to move it shortly after... to make sure you can and will be able to do it again when you need to. Sometimes the hole in the block gets really filled with crap and its very difficult to get the pin to slide through. (I did not know some aftermarket flywheels don't have the hole though, good to know)
Old 11-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
minnie1234
Account Under Review

My Ride: 1994 BMW 325I Conver
Amazing instructions well done i just did the same thing to my BMW 325i convertable but i needed special tools . Any Body needs the tools for this procedure i rented them.. This guy has all the tools they were so expensive to buy...should any-body need to do the same ,,ping me ill tell you were i rented them from , Hope this helps someone,,,
minnie1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
jared_wiesner

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie1234 View Post
Amazing instructions well done i just did the same thing to my BMW 325i convertable but i needed special tools . Any Body needs the tools for this procedure i rented them.. This guy has all the tools they were so expensive to buy...should any-body need to do the same ,,ping me ill tell you were i rented them from , Hope this helps someone,,,
Thanks Minnie. The tools I used cost as little as $100 to buy them.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 11-03-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
kraimer

My Ride: 04 330Ci, 00 323it
Send a message via AIM to kraimer
Awesome write up!!!

Ill be doing this in the next few days. Do you suggest spending the extra $ for the pro kit?
kraimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #15
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
Great thread, bookmarked

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #16
jared_wiesner

It's totally up to you whether you spring for the pro kit or not. I ended up keeping the pro version because I like the ease of use and frankly I like flashy special tools. But, if you just want to get the job done, the personal kit is more than enough.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:04 AM   #17
jasonatx

My Ride: 2001 325i
Is it critical to insert the TDC pin prior to removing the Vanos? I haven't loosened the bolts yet (step19) and I was hoping I haven't screwed up already.
jasonatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #18
MotorMan

My Ride: e39
Quote:
Is it critical to insert the TDC pin prior to removing the Vanos? I haven't loosened the bolts yet (step19) and I was hoping I haven't screwed up already.
If you are just talking about the VANOS unit you are OK. You can manually turn the engine over with the VANOS unit removed as long as the helix cups are in place and haven't moved, and none of the sprocket bolts have been loosened or removed. That being said, Murphy's law would dictate that you find TDC and lock the crank in place before removing the VANOS.
MotorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #19
jasonatx

My Ride: 2001 325i
The helix cups are still on and the torx bolts are still tight. When I rotate the crank to position it to TDC the cups move in and out but I assume this is normal. I have the blue plug out and I inserted the TDC pin but it doesn't seem to catch. Its hard to tell if its in far enough. Any thoughts?
jasonatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #20
MotorMan

My Ride: e39
Just to be safe I would bolt the VANOS plate back up with just one screw on each side and reinstall the left handed helix cup screws. Since you said the helix cups are moving around when you rotate the crank I can't say for sure that they wouldn't allow the cam timing to shift enough to cause piston to valve contact. I doubt they could, but you are talking about 10 minutes worth of time to slap the VANOS back on with a couple of screws.

If you have the GAS tool kit the TDC pin is a close tolerance to the hole in the block. The hole in the block usually builds up a layer of corrosion and needs to be cleaned out with a wire bottle brush if the tool is not going all the way in. If the TDC tool is going all the way in it should just be a matter of rocking the crankshaft back and forth slowly from the TDC mark on the harmonic balancer, while pushing in on the TDC tool. It usually helps to have another person help, so that one person can rock the crank while the other pushes the TDC pin in place. Once locked in place you should not be able to rotate the crank.
MotorMan is offline   Reply With Quote