E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #21
swaggerwagon

My Ride: 2005 330i
drivers ed should tack on an extra performance class at 18 so people can learn how to get out of over and understeer situations and avoid half the accidents on the road

3 Pedals FTW

BMW level 2 Tech

Ebay headers | Long tube CAI | modbargains ///M pedal covers | SS clutch line | CDV removed | Turner camber arms | Meyle HD FCABs | uuc poly motor/trans mounts | Eurospec Muffler | Clutch masters Stage 2 with aluminum flywheel | Coilover kit | CSL front bumper | Z4m shift lever | VISracing CF hood | Depo HID w/CCFL halo rings
swaggerwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #22
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by uninc4709 View Post
hmm
Noo it was nothin like that.. I actually tried to avoid the crash and missed 2 other cars but not the curb

brown magic
awesomechinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #23
0mega9

My Ride: 330Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomechinz View Post
My driving school said that it doesn't matter if you take the defensive driving course. They said there was "no need"
Really..!!!
I am wondering about that school now...; where are you "State", I'm in Canada and here all "Reputable" driving schools are registered with the government to be certified and issue certificates of driving course completion that the driver can than present to the issuance companies for a considerable discount in rates...

If your school indeed said "there is no need"; either your area doen't require it, the person who said that may feel "YOU" don't need it or simply may not now or offer it.

You do have to admit though, such a course would be of great asset to any driver, not just the new kids that are getting on the road for the first time...
0mega9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #24
awesomechinz

Dude I live in Indiana and really wish the defensive driving was part of the regular Ed course... My beautiful car is gone because it wasn't a part of the curriculum

brown magic
Old 10-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #25
madunix

My Ride: Silver 01' BMW 325ci
Quote:
Hey guys so the other day I was driving and pulled into a skid. Next thing I know, I'm pounding my passenger side into the curb and popping my tires.. The insurance just totaled my car. I hadn't made any mods yet but I was planning to... Sadly I am no longer an e46 owner now unless I can find another e46 in my area for the 7500 insurance gave me with low mileage(around 100-125k)
Go to where your car is, since your insurance totaled it, strip the car of parts that you can sell on ebay. I did this for 2 e39's I crashed and made about 2k on top of what my insurance paid me. I mean, rims, window switches, headlights, taillights, speakers, etc.. whatever you can get your hands on. Its still your car till they pay you, and my insurance company gave me permission because I wanted them to pay me for "upgraded options" which obviously they didn't want to, and said go ahead and take those parts out. Up to you, where do you live?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App

Last edited by madunix; 10-24-2012 at 11:27 AM.
madunix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #26
awesomechinz

South bend Indiana, and the car has NO aftermarket stuff and it still has like the old head unit and all.. Not really going to help.. The 2 passenger side rims are destroyed beyond repair so... Yeah

brown magic
Old 10-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #27
Japanrot_325i

My Ride: 03 325i
You should be able to buy it back for your deductible

Sent from my VM670 using Bimmer App
Old 10-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #28
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
I was taking a turn while the entire place was just soaked in crazy rain... Started left turn from the stoplight... Tried to turn into left lane like the tell you in drivers Ed (bastards) and car skids... TCS didn't kick in (the three lights were on: TCS abs brake) and after avoiding nailing a car I nailed a curb
Well, a few issues here that could have caused this:

1. Your tires were low on tread and were not gripping the road. I have not experienced what you have in the rain, and I've been through some intense downpours with my tire.

2. You had to have put too much gas in the turn

3. DSC was broken. This would have saved your car. Let this be a lesson not to ignore that light. If it were working, your car would have been saved.

Even if it was ASC, it still would have worked. It is designed for that exact situation - rear wheels sliding from power into a turn.

Disclaimer:
My opinion is the opposite of your opinion, even if you change your opinion to my opinion.

SnoItaLutargNoc
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #29
awesomechinz

The lights occasionally come on so I guess the system was very sporadic and only worked sometimes... The stealership said it was fine to just leave it that It was just a sensor not working right

brown magic
Old 10-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #30
NoMoreIdeas

My Ride: 01 M3
Damn guys, the guy took a turn and lost traction. **** happens. Not much DSC can do once the car is ALREADY in a skid, how could it if you have no traction?

Its entirely possible on asphalt for rain to mix with the dried oils and make for a dangerously slick surface. I have experienced this before, but due to my 'spirited driving' as a kid I knew what to do... and also what NOT to do in a mist / asphalt / intersection mix. In this situation, tires can make all the difference.
NoMoreIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #31
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 188k
There's no way this happened strictly because the road was wet or oily. If it did, all the other cars going through that intersection would have slid into the curb as well. Or at least one other! I live in Oregon and we get heavy rains at the end of summer too, but I've never had my car slide in the slightest way without knowing that I was giving it too much gas. Rain is rain, not butter.

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #32
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreIdeas View Post
Damn guys, the guy took a turn and lost traction. **** happens. Not much DSC can do once the car is ALREADY in a skid, how could it if you have no traction?

Its entirely possible on asphalt for rain to mix with the dried oils and make for a dangerously slick surface. I have experienced this before, but due to my 'spirited driving' as a kid I knew what to do... and also what NOT to do in a mist / asphalt / intersection mix. In this situation, tires can make all the difference.
No. DSC should have absolutely stopped this from happening. Furthermore it doesn't matter what the surface of the road is like, tgis is still operator error. If the road is wet, drive slow and plan ahead, it's not rocket science...

Don't take it too hard OP, learn from your mistakes. I drove my first car into the woods at 40mph due to black ice on a dark road, now I drove slow if the road looks glossy. Live and learn.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 10-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #33
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Bald tires (*_*)
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #34
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Glad you're okay. Sucks about the car.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #35
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreIdeas View Post

The entire point of DSC is that it detects a no-traction event before it happens. It is both predictive and reactive, and it does an amazing job of both.

Disclaimer:
My opinion is the opposite of your opinion, even if you change your opinion to my opinion.

SnoItaLutargNoc
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #36
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
99 323s don't have DSC guys... did I miss that part of the discussion? They have archaic TC more akin to that in the E36.

I am going to bet your tires were bad.

Sorry that happened, better luck next time.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #37
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
DSC has saved me from spinning out in the rain with worn tires a couple of times when the rear end started stepping out on a long left turn.

The second my car started drifting it kicked in and straightened me out, and this was in some seriously heavy rain too.

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #38
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by madunix View Post
Go to where your car is, since your insurance totaled it, strip the car of parts that you can sell on ebay. I did this for 2 e39's I crashed and made about 2k on top of what my insurance paid me. I mean, rims, window switches, headlights, taillights, speakers, etc.. whatever you can get your hands on. Its still your car till they pay you, and my insurance company gave me permission because I wanted them to pay me for "upgraded options" which obviously they didn't want to, and said go ahead and take those parts out. Up to you, where do you live?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
OP, talk to your insurance company before you do this. Based on your state and/or company, they can exercise the right to reduce your settlement for whatever you take off the car.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #39
mexsir

My Ride: E46 320 M sport
DSC and ASC do nothing. People who rely on these systems have never driven a car with no traction control on a track and learned how a car naturally behaves with input from steering clutch gear seleection throtle etc.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #40
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
dsc doesnt predict the future. it's not time machine

i unplugged a wheel sensor and have no ABS ASC. Pure skills yo

Last edited by MercForHire; 10-24-2012 at 05:26 PM.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote