E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #41
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
start fresh.. get another one that's better

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #42
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
OP, talk to your insurance company before you do this. Based on your state and/or company, they can exercise the right to reduce your settlement for whatever you take off the car.
Oh trust me I will not be stripping anything from the car insurance will get it as is minus my school parking pass, garage door opener, Lexus floor mats, stuff like that

brown magic
awesomechinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #43
awesomechinz

And by the way I went with my dad to talk to the dealership where the car was... They said the hit was hard enough to completely jar the suspension to its knees.. Various parts of it are damaged.. Also the frame got damaged and they said "who knows what else under the car was messed up" all in all they said to salvage it now would be a waste of money

brown magic
Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #44
MercForHire

My Ride: sold...
7500 enough to buy a ZHP. what a crash thank you insurance!
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #45
winstontj

My Ride: a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomechinz View Post
And by the way I went with my dad to talk to the dealership where the car was... They said the hit was hard enough to completely jar the suspension to its knees.. Various parts of it are damaged.. Also the frame got damaged and they said "who knows what else under the car was messed up" all in all they said to salvage it now would be a waste of money
OP this doesn't add up. Bent frame, trashed/totaled suspension, broken rims/wheels - and you weren't going more than 20mph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexsir View Post
DSC and ASC do nothing. People who rely on these systems have never driven a car with no traction control on a track and learned how a car naturally behaves with input from steering clutch gear seleection throtle etc.
+1000

I lived up in VT for a number of years and my 1981 automatic 320i was better in the snow than my Land Rover. People used to tell me all the time that I was crazy for not having 4WD, etc. but it was fine.

Traction and stability control aren't evil but they can be a really bad thing to rely on. Much better to learn how to drive properly first so that you can use the gadgets and toys to your advantage rather than rely on them.
winstontj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #46
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
dsc doesnt predict the future. it's not time machine
Your ignorance of how computer algorithms work is showing.

Go read up on how Electronic Stability Program works, and more specifically, how DSC works.

It is predictive and reactive. It can predict if a spin out is going to occur given all the many inertia, steering angle sensor, and wheel speed inputs it gets, and it reacts to correct the problem.

It doesn't mean it kicks Newton in the nuts and says "**** you, I do what I want," it still has to obey the laws of physics. If you get too far out of line or are going too fast, DSC can't help you. Actually, a study was done on the PIT maneuver and Stability Control to give the approximate angle in which the rear end has to be forced out before it cannot help anymore.

DSC tries to prevent that angle from occurring in the first place, and it's extremely good at it.

It will also slow you down at the track and take away driver control. That is why it is good to drive with it off at the track.

Last edited by Zell; 10-24-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #47
awesomechinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstontj View Post
OP this doesn't add up. Bent frame, trashed/totaled suspension, broken rims/wheels - and you weren't going more than 20mph?
I was at 20 mph when I last looked at the speedometer.. What happened while I was maneuvering and trying so hard to keep my car and myself alive I have no memory of

brown magic
Old 10-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #48
awesomechinz

Mentally you shut down when you have not faced this situation before. One begins to see only what is in front of them and the epinephrine boost in your body makes your decisions rash and horrible.. As a result, I crashed Into the curb trying to straighten myself to go the correct way. If I still had sense at the time, I would have gone into the gas station entrance literally 2 feet from where I crashed and used the grass beside the station to stop myself

brown magic
Old 10-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #49
winstontj

Quote:
Mentally you shut down when you have not faced this situation before. One begins to see only what is in front of them and the epinephrine boost in your body makes your decisions rash and horrible.. As a result, I crashed Into the curb trying to straighten myself to go the correct way. If I still had sense at the time, I would have gone into the gas station entrance literally 2 feet from where I crashed and used the grass beside the station to stop myself
As other's have mentioned, I'd take a driving course. I used to instruct a street smarts for kids course and it was really fun for the new drivers as well as the instructors. I've done a few other courses too and the skid pads are always LOTS of fun. It's amazing how much your driving will change when you are comfortable in a skid.

Make sure the course is designed to force you into BOTH oversteer and understeer situations. Experiencing both, knowing the difference and knowing how to react to each can save your life.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #50
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexsir View Post
DSC and ASC do nothing. People who rely on these systems have never driven a car with no traction control on a track and learned how a car naturally behaves with input from steering clutch gear seleection throtle etc.
Bull. None of my E36's had traction control of any sort and I learned the ins and outs of those cars enough that if I ever did encounter a skid it was a fun feeling and not a s*** my pants feeling. So to a certain degree I see where you're coming from, but the DSC on an E46 works wonders. It will correct ANY type of wheel slip pretty much immediately (which will f*** you up at first if you're used to not having it) and keeps your car planted. I'm not saying you should rely on it fully, but it's definitely a good thing to have and it definitely prevents the normal drift out sideways at a low speed type situation that the OP is describing. I'm with everyone else that OP probably had balled tires though, in which case none of his tires had traction so he was phucked from the get-go.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #51
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
There are reasons why ASC is illegal in nearly every form of racing....

Per my BMW owners manual:
"ASC will not allow you to violate any laws of physics. Please drive with common sense"

LOL

SCCA offers a street survival driving school for teans, stats show a big reduction in single car accidents ,, My daughter(s) will be taking it....

Dave
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #52
awesomechinz

My wheels were good year eagles replaced in April

brown magic
Old 10-25-2012, 02:38 AM   #53
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
OP be glad you are ok and learn from this. At least you have the balls to come on here and say you messed up. Allot of the people giving you hell most likely cannot drive themselves. Save some money go take a driving course and get another e46 down the road.

Last edited by zander271; 10-25-2012 at 02:39 AM.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #54
awesomechinz

What's done is done I guess... And now there's one less e46 323i with a clean title out there for all of you that hate the 323i model

brown magic
Old 10-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #55
vicariously13

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Don't feel bad dude! I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a car is one of the worst feeling I've ever felt. Things will be ok. I suggest looking for a nice e36 328i or 328is from a private party. They're easier to work on, mildly cheaper to maintain and you'll still be part of the family. If you're lucky, you might even find a '98 that has under 100k miles. Go e36. You'll be happy. I promise. Good luck and I'm glad you're physically well after your accident. Much worse could have happened.

Seriously. Go e36.

No real mods... just loads of maintenance
vicariously13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #56
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicariously13 View Post

Seriously. Go e36.
+1

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 10-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #57
awesomechinz

Just a question. If e36 did NOT have any skid control wouldn't it be bad? Should take a course that teaches skid control and then buy a car with a traction control system?

brown magic
Old 10-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #58
vicariously13

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Quote:
Just a question. If e36 did NOT have any skid control wouldn't it be bad? Should take a course that teaches skid control and then buy a car with a traction control system?
Oh my... You can NOT be serious, right? How old are you? Is this a troll?

My first car ever was an e36 328i (1996). I put ZHP wheels on that thing and drove it like it was a race car thinking I was the most awesome BMW owner ever. Power slides, speeding tickets, trying to race Civic SI's not knowing what the heck V-Tech was... the works.

You DON'T NEED skid control. It's nice to have but you don't need it. Just open your eyes and look in the direction you want your car to go, POINT. and SHOOT.

And always, ALWAYS stay up on maintenance. Never buy a car without a Carfax report.

No real mods... just loads of maintenance
vicariously13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #59
awesomechinz

I'm just saying that considering insurance has marked me as "accident prone" or something that even if I know HOW to correct the skid, it would be smarter to also have a car with working skid control tech so i can work with it

brown magic
Old 10-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #60
winstontj

How many accidents have you been in?