E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 12:51 AM   #61
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstontj View Post
How many accidents have you been in?
This.

As I said before, this is the first car I've ever had with any form of traction control, I've never had a problem. In fact the only car I had a problem with (the black ice I mentioned before) was in a FWD car...
Old 10-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #62
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
South bend? Hell come out here in any car and ill teach you how to drive. I'm not that much older than you but I can definitely teach you what to do in a skid and understeer oversteer situations.
If you find a new e46 and need some help with it, or actually do need someone to teach you how to drive give me a shoutout. I'd be glad to help you work on or mod your new car.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #63
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomechinz View Post
Hey guys so the other day I was driving and pulled into a skid. Next thing I know, I'm pounding my passenger side into the curb and popping my tires.. The insurance just totaled my car. I hadn't made any mods yet but I was planning to... Sadly I am no longer an e46 owner now unless I can find another e46 in my area for the 7500 insurance gave me with low mileage(around 100-125k)
I am sorry, but I don't even have a license yet, Only a permit, and I drive better than you. You are a mad suck ass driver man, look for a 325 or 323. Too much power is dangerous without proper skill. I feel for you though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #64
aahmed2016

Quote:
I was at 20 mph when I last looked at the speedometer.. What happened while I was maneuvering and trying so hard to keep my car and myself alive I have no memory of
It is damn near impossible to wreck all that at just 20. I can understand bent rims, and maybe a bit of suspension damage, but NO WAY n earth this happened at just 20. you would have to be at atleast like 35-40.

Quote:
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
Old 10-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #65
winstontj

My Ride: a car
I don't understand the insurance or high-risk pool thing. OP you must have had either other accidents or numerous speeding tickets (or something like a DUI/DWI, etc.).

Insurance companies don't just dump people into high-risk pools. I'm a bit lucky; due to my age and the fact that I've lived in NYC so I haven't owned a car in many years, my driving record is perfect and my insurance premiums are so low it seems like a joke. That said, holy crap is driving these days dangerous!!! It's almost like I have to re-learn how to drive; or re-learn how to drive defensively. I've still been spending time on the track all these years so I can drive but wow am I shocked at how much more careless and reckless people seem to be on the roads.

Here is a bit of a random suggestion for the OP: When I was younger (summer between high school and college) I was driving like such an idiot that I actually sold my Audi at the time and bought myself a 1983 Mercedes 300TD wagon. This was my choice, not forced upon me. I still miss that car, it was awesome - but slow as f**k and heavy as a tank. Perhaps instead of considering even an e36 take a look at an older BMW e28 524d/524td or a Mercedes 190d or 300d. It may seem painful but they are amazing, reliable and fun cars.
winstontj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #66
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahmed2016 View Post
It is damn near impossible to wreck all that at just 20. I can understand bent rims, and maybe a bit of suspension damage, but NO WAY n earth this happened at just 20. you would have to be at atleast like 35-40.
Like I mentioned earlier... That was the last speedometer reading I saw.. You mentally shut down when adrenaline is injected by your body so yes I probably did accelerate thinking it was the break

brown magic
awesomechinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #67
awesomechinz

Thanks for the support guys but while I was the one paying for my own portion of insurance and the servicing costs, my parents were the ones that paid for the car (yes the title was in my name) so it is up to them to choose which car they will buy me. But as I said, I have a job and I pay for maintenance and insurance for it.

Also, I mentioned the accident prone because on another thread the OP mentioned that insurance titled him accident prone after only one incident such as this. I have never gotten a speeding ticket nor have I cause/been in any other accident where I was driving

brown magic
Old 10-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #68
aahmed2016

Quote:
Like I mentioned earlier... That was the last speedometer reading I saw.. You mentally shut down when adrenaline is injected by your body so yes I probably did accelerate thinking it was the break
Duude, legit stuff, get into classes. I got into an accident a few times in the past, I experienced nothing like "mental shutdown"

Quote:
Old 10-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #69
awesomechinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahmed2016 View Post
Duude, legit stuff, get into classes. I got into an accident a few times in the past, I experienced nothing like "mental shutdown"
and exactly how long have you been driving? I have been driving since last January. And anyone in the mid-west will know that it was THE MOST MILD winter ever. So I did not even experience slippery conditions until I drove in the rain. And this was the second time I was driving my e46 in the rain. Normally, when I am out with my parents we take the RX-350 or Odyssey.

So while I will get into a skid class, I will not be told that a driver with YEARS of experience does not have a "mental shutdown" when you are comparing him to someone who has just started driving
Old 10-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #70
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
Quote:
and exactly how long have you been driving? I have been driving since last January. And anyone in the mid-west will know that it was THE MOST MILD winter ever. So I did not even experience slippery conditions until I drove in the rain. And this was the second time I was driving my e46 in the rain. Normally, when I am out with my parents we take the RX-350 or Odyssey.

So while I will get into a skid class, I will not be told that a driver with YEARS of experience does not have a "mental shutdown" when you are comparing him to someone who has just started driving
Congradulations you almost went a year without totaling your car

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #71
awesomechinz

Thank you for making me feel better man... If you need me I will be cutting my wrists in the corner....

jk but still
Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #72
0mega9

My Ride: 330Xi
Man, am I glad I have an Xi...
If anything though, I hope I'm not careless or "too brave" to try and speed on icy or slippery conditions....
0mega9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #73
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Honda Wants You
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:45 AM   #74
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I for one, would like to give him credit for not blaming "a friend" or "my brother", like most of the posters who manage to crash their cars tend to do. At least he owned up to it. Learn from it, and move on.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #75
E46inthe206

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
I for one, would like to give him credit for not blaming "a friend" or "my brother", like most of the posters who manage to crash their cars tend to do. At least he owned up to it. Learn from it, and move on.
+1

Make mistake > Learn from mistake > Move on
E46inthe206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #76
FenderGuy05

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46inthe206 View Post
+1

Make mistake > Learn from mistake > Move on
+1

Glad to hear your okay, and I've been there, got into my first real accident this last summer. Check out some courses, because the US definitely doesn't prepare you for anything but perfect situations. I think I learned most of the understeer, skidding, etc skills from playing granturismo as a kid haha.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #77
awesomechinz

Don't remember if I said this or not but somehow we made a profit on the totaled car... We bought for 6k and insurance totaled for 7.5k... Any reasons why that would happen?

brown magic
Old 11-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #78
shovelit

My Ride: 03 325xi and 04 330x
I hate to see threads like this. This kid made a mistake and totaled his car. Some of you were supportive but most just took this opportunity to brag about skills that you probably don't even know if you have. It's like saying "If someone was shooting at me, I'd........" Fact of the matter is, if you've never been shot at, you really don't know what you would do. Driving classes are probably a good thing, but nothing can prepare you for every concievable possibility. Glad you're OK man. Good luck finding another nice set of wheels.
shovelit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #79
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Don't remember if I said this or not but somehow we made a profit on the totaled car... We bought for 6k and insurance totaled for 7.5k... Any reasons why that would happen?
You bought the car for less than it's market value, so well done

Now use that money and buy a nicer one and this time make sure your tires are good and have some practice in an empty parking lot.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #80
ThreeOhFive

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
my parents bought it for me

Must be nice. Maybe if you beg mommy and daddy enough they will buy you a bus pass.