E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
Dathaeus

My Ride: 1997 328i+SportsPack
Finally! My New ZHP

Hey guys, first I wanna thank you all who have helped me get to this point... I didnt take all the advice 100% but I think I am happy for now. Photos at

http://minus.com/mxAqEwf42W66l

2003 ZHP Silver (114,000 miles, clean carfax, 2 owners)
17" wheels (dont most ZHP's come with 18"?)
Harmon Kardon Stereo
$7000 flat

Contrary to prudent advice, I did not get a PPI across the street at Braman even tough he was willing. They were going to charge $330. He had a look over inspection done by them when he got an oil change a couple of months ago, and they listed some of the stuff listed below.

- Got it from a car salesman at a local dealer, it was his personal car... he is getting another customer's 2007 330i with 36k on it for ~18k and getting rid of this one
- Test drive felt good, just have to get used to this clutch, but couldnt feel anything wrong and engine feels more "throaty" than my now old 328i
- I cant tell there is an extra 40+ HP in this one, but I wouldnt say its slow by any means, and the 6th gear is nice to have finally
- Body looks very good, small chips here and there, one fog light slightly cracked
- Known problems that he told me and I saw before purchase:
----- drive belts (big surprise, just like my car)
----- needs new tires soon
----- Both rear plastic door trimmings falling off, need to be glued back on with the snaps
----- The shifter rattles a bit when the car is on, I guess it has to be tightened?
----- He had one key that rarely worked, and one good key... he lost the stupid good key the day before sale, so he went and got a cheap valet key instead for like $50, said the regular hey is over $200. (I should have just paid the $150 and told him to get the regular) I thought that was kind of a dickweed move... I'll probably end up getting a new key anyways since the remote doesnt work on the bad key either
----- He said the brakes will probably need to be replaced soon... testing it felt fine but we'll know when I get a proper inspection
----- Handbrake needs to be tightened or something

So next step is finding another indy here, sigh... one of the guys I used to go to had that Shell station close down, so I heard they moved somewhere else, I'll have to see. And I got laid off the place that had the indy a few blocks away so wont be there anymore, and they didnt seem that great anyways. So as long as they dont come up with $3k + nasty repairs, I am happy.

Comments?
Tires: BBS 17" rims
Hankook Ventus V12
Front: 225/45ZR
Rear: 255/40ZR

Answerway.com

Last edited by Dathaeus; 11-04-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Dathaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
Russell318

My Ride: E46 318 coupe
Nice looking car, check out the hand brake, either a gorilla pulled it up or its in need of some adjustment, other than that very clean looking car for the year and miles.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
Dathaeus

LMAO, oops ya I forgot to put that on there, loose hand brake, nice catch!
Hankook Ventus V12

Answerway.com
Old 11-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
98bimmer

My Ride: E90 330i, E36 328i
You can pick up a brand new key for like $130 through one of the sponsors on the site.

Nice Car!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Looks good for the price. Even with 3k repair bill. Still cheap.
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
nlav26

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
17" wheels (dont most ZHP's come with 18"?)
Yes, ZHP's come with 18" wheels stock. Those are aftermarket wheels however, BBS CH's.

Last edited by nlav26; 11-04-2012 at 09:30 AM.
nlav26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
blksab65

My Ride: 1987 325 (i Swapped)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan5420 View Post
Yes, ZHP's come with 18" wheels stock. Those are aftermarket wheels however, BBS CH's.
he makes it sound kinda bad, YOU GOT BBS CH's!!! if there real you could sell them for some good money to cover some of the repair bill and buy some oem zhp wheels again
Old 11-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
Dathaeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98bimmer View Post
You can pick up a brand new key for like $130 through one of the sponsors on the site.
Nice Car!
Thank you! Do u mean someone like Patrick at BMWPartssource.com? I thought the official key with the remote/chip and everything can only be gotten from BMW directly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
Looks good for the price. Even with 3k repair bill. Still cheap.
Exactly what I was thinking... hopefully the thorough inspection doesnt come up with major water damage or something else really stupid.... hoping to spend about 2k....

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan5420 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksab65 View Post
he makes it sound kinda bad, YOU GOT BBS CH's!!! if there real you could sell them for some good money to cover some of the repair bill and buy some oem zhp wheels again
LOL, so BBS CH's are supposed to be "upgrades" to the 18" stock ZHP's? I dont get it, I thought a car with decent power always feels better with the larger wheels. Can you guys tell me what are the pros and cons of the BBS's vs the stock 18"?
Hankook Ventus V12

Answerway.com
Old 11-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
98bimmer

Quote:
Thank you! Do u mean someone like Patrick at BMWPartssource.com? I thought the official key with the remote/chip and everything can only be gotten from BMW directly?

Nope, you send em a copy of your vin and ownership and they make a oem key with remote and everything
Old 11-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
Dathaeus

Quote:
Nope, you send em a copy of your vin and ownership and they make a oem key with remote and everything
Sweetness... if u guys were near me I would def buy u shots until u pass out.
Hankook Ventus V12

Answerway.com
Old 11-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
Very nice. Clean find!

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
nike001

My Ride: Fergo
Quote:
LOL, so BBS CH's are supposed to be "upgrades" to the 18" stock ZHP's? I dont get it, I thought a car with decent power always feels better with the larger wheels. Can you guys tell me what are the pros and cons of the BBS's vs the stock 18"?
Rotational Mass, sidewall flex etc etc.

OEM ZHP wheels are known to be one of the heaviest rims from BMW. So your previous owner opted for smaller rims that are a lot lighter. Tires cost less for 17s too.

330i ZHP 6MT | H&R Sport Cup | BMW Performance | OEM Clears | Coby Wheel
nike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #13
Dathaeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Rotational Mass, sidewall flex etc etc.

OEM ZHP wheels are known to be one of the heaviest rims from BMW. So your previous owner opted for smaller rims that are a lot lighter. Tires cost less for 17s too.
But in this type of car can that kind of small weight difference make any real performance difference... I could see that in an Indy car but on a 330i? Is there a site that compares actual car performance due to the difference in such tires?
Hankook Ventus V12

Answerway.com
Old 11-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #14
98bimmer

Quote:
But in this type of car can that kind of small weight difference make any real performance difference... I could see that in an Indy car but on a 330i? Is there a site that compares actual car performance due to the difference in such tires?
Yes, if you go from light wheels to heavy wheels you'll notice the difference in acceleration, handling etc.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #15
nike001

My Ride: Fergo
You'll notice it more in a less hp car than a high hp car.

I forget the ratio but I think I remember that for every pound of wheel weight reduction is like losing 10lbs of unsprung weight. Someone feel free to chime in on that

330i ZHP 6MT | H&R Sport Cup | BMW Performance | OEM Clears | Coby Wheel
nike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
Dathaeus

Quote:
Yes, if you go from light wheels to heavy wheels you'll notice the difference in acceleration, handling etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
You'll notice it more in a less hp car than a high hp car.

I forget the ratio but I think I remember that for every pound of wheel weight reduction is like losing 10lbs of unsprung weight. Someone feel free to chime in on that
I just didnt think wheel weight between 1" and a few pounds made such a difference wow... but ya I was wondering then why does Porsche use 19" but I guess when you have 400HP, then 19" are better bec it can produce more torque? I was thinking I should draw some FBD's and check for myself, lol... but last thing I need is to feel like a college student again haha.

Now I assume thats 1lb of wheel weight on ALL 4 wheels? Geez... I am reaching for my pencil and paper..........
Hankook Ventus V12

Answerway.com
Old 11-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #17
98bimmer

Quote:
I just didnt think wheel weight between 1" and a few pounds made such a difference wow... but ya I was wondering then why does Porsche use 19" but I guess when you have 400HP, then 19" are better bec it can produce more torque? I was thinking I should draw some FBD's and check for myself, lol... but last thing I need is to feel like a college student again haha.

Now I assume thats 1lb of wheel weight on ALL 4 wheels? Geez... I am reaching for my pencil and paper..........
Size of the wheel doesnt matter, material does. A certain 19 inch wheel can be way lighter then a 15" wheel