E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
robreZ

My Ride: 01' Z3 Coupe
Arrow Let's talk 272/268 cams

Back in '06 I purchased a set of 272 intake, 268 exhaust cams from Samir at Technik. They were testing them at the time, and I'm not sure if they ever offered them to the public. He mentioned them in this post.

Technik did the install and tuning and they made pretty good power in my 3.0 M54 Z3 coupe, in addition to my bolt-on mods -- headers, Supersprint exhaust, Dinan cold air intake and Dinan big bore throttle body.

[/QUOTE]

The tuning involved bumping the idle to 900 to deal with the lopey idle and chatter from the lightweight flywheel. However, with the AC on, the idle rpms were even higher, which made the car a little balky to drive. In addition, my car kept throwing this P1190 code, which I was told was sign of running rich.

Earlier this year I had car my re-tuned by the non-defunct Jeremy at OE Tuning, and also changed the 02 sensors, and I no longer get the P1190 code, however, the idle is around 700 rpms now. I find myself needing to occasionally tap the gas at long stop lights, otherwise the revs will sometimes drop low enough that I get misfire codes on all cylinders. But if I drive with the AC on, it's perfect now.

Does anyone else have these cams installed in their car? And how are you dealing with the low idle issue? Does anyone offer a tune for 272/268 cams? I'm considering going back to stock or maybe ZHP cams if I can't get it tuned better for daily driving.
robreZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
You're not going to find a canned tune for those. You need to get it on the dyno with someone that knows what they're doing.

Your power is low, btw. I was making quite a bit more with 264/248s. Possibly your header/exhaust combo.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
OP, try contacting Evolve. Even though they are in the UK, I've read on other forums that they can tune a car/remap your ECU real time on a dyno in a remote manner. Many of those in the M3 camp rave about their software. Since you have the longer duration cams that sound like "one offs", like the other fellah mentioned, you'll need more tuner expertise. Good luck.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Pretty sure you mentioned to me that those cams were 264/248. Any dyno with your new tune?

Last edited by Iceman00; 10-25-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
robreZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
You're not going to find a canned tune for those. You need to get it on the dyno with someone that knows what they're doing.

Your power is low, btw. I was making quite a bit more with 264/248s. Possibly your header/exhaust combo.
Yeah, I guess I was being pretty optimistic about finding a canned tune. I've always wondered how much additional power these cams are capable of making. The dyno I posted was taken the same day of install, and Samir mentioned that it should be making a bit more power once I'd driven it some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_doggg7 View Post
OP, try contacting Evolve. Even though they are in the UK, I've read on other forums that they can tune a car/remap your ECU real time on a dyno in a remote manner. Many of those in the M3 camp rave about their software. Since you have the longer duration cams that sound like "one offs", like the other fellah mentioned, you'll need more tuner expertise. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Pretty sure you mentioned to me that those cams were 264/248. Any dyno with your new tune?
I'm pretty sure I didn't, especially considering I've posted information about these cams here and on bf.c in the past.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...2&postcount=27
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0&postcount=17

I don't have the dyno results for the new tune. I recall Jeremy saying that it had more torque but hp didn't change much. He was supposed to email me the results, but from what I can gather, OE Tuning closed shop soon after he tuned my car and he went back to Australia.

If anyone can recommend a SoCal shop that can dyno tune my car, I'm all ears. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
robreZ

Bump, anyone know who does good custom tunes in SoCal? Otherwise, I'm gonna start actively looking for ZHP cams. I'm kinda dreading dealing with finding someone to custom tune it again. Thanks
Old 02-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
Get a remote tune from epic motorsports, that's what I'm having done for my car with cams. He's in Florida but will tune over the phone.

1999 BMW 328i (Daily Driver) - m54b30 intake manifold, ebay headers, Rebirth Motorsports CAI, Rogue Engineering underive pulleys, Epic Motorsports Remote Dyno Tune, Custom 3 inch exhaust with Burns Merge, Schrick 264/248 Cams
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
robreZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
Get a remote tune from epic motorsports, that's what I'm having done for my car with cams. He's in Florida but will tune over the phone.
Thanks, not sure I want to deal with a remote tune.

Does anyone know where Zolti works these days? He was the person who actually installed the cams and tuned my car. Maybe I can take my car to him to re-tune it.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by robreZ View Post
Thanks, not sure I want to deal with a remote tune.

Does anyone know where Zolti works these days? He was the person who actually installed the cams and tuned my car. Maybe I can take my car to him to re-tune it.
I get where you are coming from but this guy does tunes for winning North American BMW race teams all the time. He's one of the best in his field and it would turn out just as good as a dyno tune with him in the same room.

1999 BMW 328i (Daily Driver) - m54b30 intake manifold, ebay headers, Rebirth Motorsports CAI, Rogue Engineering underive pulleys, Epic Motorsports Remote Dyno Tune, Custom 3 inch exhaust with Burns Merge, Schrick 264/248 Cams

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 02-21-2013 at 03:48 PM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
robreZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
I get where you are coming from but this guy does tunes for winning North American BMW race teams all the time. He's one of the best in his field and it would turn out just as good as a dyno tune with him in the same room.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on your build thread. But at this point, I'm starting to think that the ZHP cams or stock are more my speed (no pun intended).
Old 03-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
robreZ

Bump, smog is coming up again soon, so I've decided to remove the 272/268 cams.

Last edited by robreZ; 12-04-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
robreZ

Bump, 272/268 cams are now for sale

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...175&highlight=
Old 12-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #13
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
OE tuning is back you know...
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
robreZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
OE tuning is back you know...
If Jeremy is back in action maybe whoever buys the cams contact him for the tune. It was a great tune, but he never got to dial in the idle before the shop closed down.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
what should the gain be with everything dialed in?
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #16
robreZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
what should the gain be with everything dialed in?
With headers, exhaust, Dinan CAI and throttle throttle body - 230 to 235whp is what Samir estimated after adaptations. I don't know how much to expect with head/valvetrain work and more tuning. Hopefully someone wants to find out...
Old 12-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #17
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Let's talk 272/268 cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by robreZ View Post
With headers, exhaust, Dinan CAI and throttle throttle body - 230 to 235whp is what Samir estimated after adaptations. I don't know how much to expect with head/valvetrain work and more tuning. Hopefully someone wants to find out...
230-235 is not to shabby.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but these cams are far from a "Direct" bolt-in as they are implied.

There are many "Must Have" items needed to make these cams work properly in anyone's M54

Here's a short list

A) Upgraded racing valve springs. Titanium retainers would be also a good thing, but not absolutely needed.
B) A custom dyno tune from one of the very few tuners out there that really know what they're doing.
C) Headers
D) Cat-back exhaust is not critical, but would be a good idea.
E) CAI

Someone could argue D and E, but A,B & C would be critical to ensure proper operation.

Keep in mind that there will be a BIG shift to the upper RPM band of any motor using these. That may or may not be a good thing, drive-ability with suffer, but high RPM use will be good if they are "tuned" properly. Also, they are designed to RPM up to about 7400-7600; but most likely your "tune" will cut you off at 7000 RPM, so you'll never use them to there full potential

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #19
robreZ

Thanks for the info., I found a buyer who is going to tackle all the "must haves" plus a built 3.46 and maybe even add porting and polishing the head. Looking forward to the results. I'm sure he'll chime in when he has it all sorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK330ci View Post
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but these cams are far from a "Direct" bolt-in as they are implied.

There are many "Must Have" items needed to make these cams work properly in anyone's M54

Here's a short list

A) Upgraded racing valve springs. Titanium retainers would be also a good thing, but not absolutely needed.
B) A custom dyno tune from one of the very few tuners out there that really know what they're doing.
C) Headers
D) Cat-back exhaust is not critical, but would be a good idea.
E) CAI

Someone could argue D and E, but A,B & C would be critical to ensure proper operation.

Keep in mind that there will be a BIG shift to the upper RPM band of any motor using these. That may or may not be a good thing, drive-ability with suffer, but high RPM use will be good if they are "tuned" properly. Also, they are designed to RPM up to about 7400-7600; but most likely your "tune" will cut you off at 7000 RPM, so you'll never use them to there full potential