E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #61
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
"Cough" BMW CPO program "Cough"

Blew an ignition coil, called BMW roadside assistance...30 min later (it was a 98* day) I got a tow to BMW. Got the car delivered after BMW was closed, got a call at 8am saying car was ready to be picked up...they made my car priority on the whole service list - $50.

Inspection I (valve adjustments, oil...the whole sha-bag) covered.

Control arm bushings were shot (from track day) went into service and they replaced the bushings and whole control arms - $50.

Currently per my Blackstone analysis they are sending in report for new rod bearings.

Oh, and I left everything on my car and not one BMW (I've been to 3 different for services) have said anything.

BMW CPO > Carcrap
Old 10-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #62
djmangee816

My Ride: ///m
carmax prices are horrible

djmangee816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #63
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus09 View Post
"Cough" BMW CPO program "Cough"

Blew an ignition coil, called BMW roadside assistance...30 min later (it was a 98* day) I got a tow to BMW. Got the car delivered after BMW was closed, got a call at 8am saying car was ready to be picked up...they made my car priority on the whole service list - $50.

Inspection I (valve adjustments, oil...the whole sha-bag) covered.

Control arm bushings were shot (from track day) went into service and they replaced the bushings and whole control arms - $50.

Currently per my Blackstone analysis they are sending in report for new rod bearings.

Oh, and I left everything on my car and not one BMW (I've been to 3 different for services) have said anything.

BMW CPO > Carcrap
Yea, well I got royally screwed with BMW CPO on my M5, I have never been screwed with CarMax.

So, as always, mileage will vary.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #64
GlockMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidinBimmerz View Post
What I wrote was not an opinion. It was and is fact. And sure they will buy back cars with flood or frame damage. Meaning if you're smart enough to discover something that they "accidentally" let slip, they'll honor a buyback...

Come on man. Don't be so gullable. Like I said, this isnt an opinion. I send garbage cars to auction. CarMax buys them. Period end of story.

EDIT- and for what it's worth, I am not a "used car dealer" per se. I am a franchisee and sell on average 75% new / 25% used cars per month. I do not compete directly with CarMax and have no reason to divulge any information on this thread other than the fact that I wish to make someone who is so in love with them more aware of what they are truly dealing with. Don't shoot the messenger
Did you ever consider the fact that CarMax sells to other dealers? Almost 70% of what they buy never gets sold to the public by them.

------------

As far as the rest of the haters. Great, don't buy or sell to them. You are entitled to your opinion. That is what makes America great.

The fact is they are the most successful used car dealership in history and they have treated me and everyone I know extremely well.

I was simply stating my opinion based on a long history with them AND OTHERS, I have been very happy.

I am not going to sit here and waste my time defending every comment.

TO EACH THEIR OWN.

Take care...

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
Old 10-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #65
RidinBimmerz

My Ride: Porsche 997 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
Did you ever consider the fact that CarMax sells to other dealers? Almost 70% of what they buy never gets sold to the public by them.

------------

As far as the rest of the haters. Great, don't buy or sell to them. You are entitled to your opinion. That is what makes America great.

The fact is they are the most successful used car dealership in history and they have treated me and everyone I know extremely well.

I was simply stating my opinion based on a long history with them AND OTHERS, I have been very happy.

I am not going to sit here and waste my time defending every comment.

TO EACH THEIR OWN.

Take care...
CarMax does not sell to other dealers. They may do a dealer trade from one CarMax to anothe, but no, they do not purchase cars from auctions with intent to sell them to other dealers. Not sure where you got that from

997S X-51 Pack, PCCB, Full Cocoa leather and MUCH more
RidinBimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #66
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
CarMax does not sell to other dealers. They may do a dealer trade from one CarMax to anothe, but no, they do not purchase cars from auctions with intent to sell them to other dealers. Not sure where you got that from
You sound pretty rustled

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #67
RidinBimmerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
You sound pretty rustled
I needed you to come in here and make me feel better. What the hell took you so long? Windstar not running good huh?

Old 10-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #68
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Of course, everyone has different experiences, but I have actually bought from them 5 times and getting ready to sell them my 5th car, so my opinion is formed from actually dealing with them.

Often, all the features or options are not listed! You can get a lot for free. Also their inventory literally changes every day.

As far as shipping a car cross country, its is an amazingly painless process.

First you get like 30 pictures to look at plus the vin number and an auto history report. Of course you could use the vin to do your own carfax or dealership research.

After you decide you want it, you create a list of questions about the car. What is the treadwear? What brand and model of tires? Curb rash, etc. Your salesman (who gets paid the same regardless of what you buy for $5k to $95k) contacts the location where the car is for a "walk around." A buyer or inventory person at that location answer all the questions.

thanks for the feedback. One of the corporate offices is here. My in-law who works there purchased 3 cars from them and hasn't had a problem. I like to weigh my odds. My 1st Bimmer was a CPO and I had several problems but they were all fixed which is why I'm mad/sad that my car is gone. The only thing I was repairing was old parts on the car. It ran smooth. Thanks again.

Carfax is like playing lotto. You may/may not get a full report. My Acura was in an accident and it was never reported.

Last edited by saxual328ci; 10-28-2012 at 10:24 AM.
saxual328ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #69
GlockMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxual328ci View Post
thanks for the feedback. One of the corporate offices is here. My in-law who works there purchased 3 cars from them and hasn't had a problem. I like to weigh my odds. My 1st Bimmer was a CPO and I had several problems but they were all fixed which is why I'm mad/sad that my car is gone. The only thing I was repairing was old parts on the car. It ran smooth. Thanks again.

Carfax is like playing lotto. You may/may not get a full report. My Acura was in an accident and it was never reported.
You are welcome.

I am actually on my way there to sell my truck.

Paid $17,999
Selling it for $12,000 4 years later.
Needs tires, brake pads, some interior trim parts, etc.

KBB trade in is:......................$9,341 (very good cond.)
KBB private party is:.............$10,896 (very good cond.)
Edmunds trade in is:...............$8,578 (clean cond.)
Edmunds private party is:........$9,725 (clean cond.)
Cheapest on Autotrader is:....$10,999

I am very happy with a $12,000 check in less than an hour total.

Let me just take this one step further. I paid $17,999 4 years ago with no negotiation and a factory warranty.
A 2009 in excellent condition is worth over $17,000 in trade in according to KBB.

In other words, the truck I bought would be worth TWICE the difference between 2007 and 2009 when I bought it.

MSRP with my options was $27,000. I paid $17,999 with 17k miles and 1 year old.

SO...It was worth well over $20,000 when I bought it 1 year old for $17,999.

Great price when I bought it AND great price when I sold it back to them.

---------------

Anyway, not every deal is perfect. There are plenty of cars they are too expensive on. It is all supply and demand and timing (like any dealership.)

But if you are smart and use thier nationwide service, you absolutely can get a great deal.

BTW, they DO pay more if you sell them a car you bought from them. I talked with my buyer first and had great rapport. He looked at my records. I figured I got a $1000 more for it. He showed me his value book, it was at $10,000-$10,500 for excellent cond.

To each their own. I am not going to answer every remark about them on here. The fact is, I have had more experience with them than every negative remark on here combined. Of course, you have to use your brain and compare to others. They are not going to just hand you money. But, there are deals out there. If a dealership in Plano Texas bought twice as many BMWs as a normal month, they are going to offer less for another one and they are going to reduce prices to sell them. It is just common sense.

I applaud them for no other reason than their great website. It is a fantastic reference tool for researching used cars if nothing else. 35,000 prices updated every minute of the day. No BS, No hidden charges, etc.

Good luck.

2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 10-28-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #70
GlockMan

Quote:
REALLY? What else can I prove you wrong on?

Do you sell cars? Is CarMax a competitior? Oh yea, they are. Go figure.

--------------------------------------------------------------

...CarMax auctions are DEALER ONLY auctions. All individuals attending a CarMax auction must be signed up as a representative of a licensed dealership...

...we acquire thousands of units each week that do not meet our strict retail parameters. These vehicles that are sold through our auction. Other vehicles may be CarMax Auto Finance repossessions.

Anyone attending the auctions must be signed up as an authorized agent of the dealership they represent. Our auctions are for DEALERS ONLY!!...

2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 10-28-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #71
RidinBimmerz

Quote:
REALLY? What else can I prove you wrong on?

Do you sell cars? Is CarMax a competitior? Oh yea, they are. Go figure.

--------------------------------------------------------------

...CarMax auctions are DEALER ONLY auctions. All individuals attending a CarMax auction must be signed up as a representative of a licensed dealership...

...we acquire thousands of units each week that do not meet our strict retail parameters. These vehicles that are sold through our auction. Other vehicles may be CarMax Auto Finance repossessions.

Anyone attending the auctions must be signed up as an authorized agent of the dealership they represent. Our auctions are for DEALERS ONLY!!...

what have you proved me wrong on? And no, CarMax isnt even my competitor lol

CarMax buys garbage cars to put on thier lot. If I actually cared enough, I would post an auction report and show you the same VIN# cars being sold on their lot. So where am I wrong? And CarMax does not purchase cars at auction to sell to other dealers. Where are you getting this information???

Last edited by RidinBimmerz; 10-28-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #72
GlockMan

Quote:
what have you proved me wrong on? And no, CarMax isnt even my competitor lol
Quote:
CarMax does not sell to other dealers. They may do a dealer trade from one CarMax to anothe, ...
oops

I am done arguing. To each their own. Your dealership is the best in the world and CarMax sucks. They sold 2MM cars because they suck. I was just lucky the 10 times I dealt with them and actually had a real transaction with them.

You win. Congrats!

PS - Just for my own curiosity, what is your position at the dealership?

2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 10-28-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #73
v8 5

Quote:
PS - Just for my own curiosity, what is your position at the dealership?
Owners son

Old 10-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #74
Wes

Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #75
RidinBimmerz

You made a thread telling why you love carmax so I offered you my opinion as to why you should rethink your so-called love. I am speaking facts. Nothing against you or carmax, just telling it like it is. Like I said, don't shoot the messenger. Sorry if I offended you.

--GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Owners son
in my wildest dreams

Last edited by RidinBimmerz; 10-28-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #76
v8 5

Quote:
You made a thread telling why you love carmax so I offered you my opinion as to why you should rethink your so-called love. I am speaking facts. Nothing against you or carmax, just telling it like it is. Like I said, don't shoot the messenger. Sorry if I offended you.

--GM

in my wildest dreams
Something is weird here because you sound mad

Old 10-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #77
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
Shut up V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #78
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
Quote:

--GM

in my wildest dreams
He did just prove you wrong about. That's a fact. You could at least admit that, since you are into facts

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #79
04yfz

My Ride: A car
Quote:
You are welcome.

I am actually on my way there to sell my truck.

Paid $17,999
Selling it for $12,000 4 years later.
Needs tires, brake pads, some interior trim parts, etc.

KBB trade in is:......................$9,341 (very good cond.)
KBB private party is:.............$10,896 (very good cond.)
Edmunds trade in is:...............$8,578 (clean cond.)
Edmunds private party is:........$9,725 (clean cond.)
Cheapest on Autotrader is:....$10,999

I am very happy with a $12,000 check in less than an hour total.

Let me just take this one step further. I paid $17,999 4 years ago with no negotiation and a factory warranty.
A 2009 in excellent condition is worth over $17,000 in trade in according to KBB.

In other words, the truck I bought would be worth TWICE the difference between 2007 and 2009 when I bought it.

MSRP with my options was $27,000. I paid $17,999 with 17k miles and 1 year old.

SO...It was worth well over $20,000 when I bought it 1 year old for $17,999.

Great price when I bought it AND great price when I sold it back to them.

How many miles are on your truck now? Unless it has 200k miles, an 07 suburban 4x4 is worth way more than 10 or even 12k trade in.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #80
GlockMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04yfz View Post
How many miles are on your truck now? Unless it has 200k miles, an 07 suburban 4x4 is worth way more than 10 or even 12k trade in.
Trailblazer not Suburban.

Big Difference.

2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci