E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #601
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
How do you know the natural gas line won't be down after a storm? With gas/diesel you can at least store extra fuel somewhere.
Exactly......... NG is currently shut off in most parts of NY

Get a genny and convert it to run NG LP and gasoline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #602
sgplayer69

My Ride: 2003 CB M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
How do you know the natural gas line won't be down after a storm? With gas/diesel you can at least store extra fuel somewhere.
we had natural gas no problem, used the stoves, just lit them with matches
Old 11-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #603
andrewrossnagel

you can get a nice kohler generator or another very good brand for well under 4k. if you live in NY ill give you an e46fanatics discount on install
andrewrossnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #604
andrewrossnagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Exactly......... NG is currently shut off in most parts of NY

Get a genny and convert it to run NG LP and gasoline.
if youre going with your "doomsday" approach you should have both because that diesel is burning out pretty quick with these 10+ hp engine. loud and inefficient, im sure in a case where ng runs out that generator will be so loud the looters will go toward the houses with them. especially since you will have other fuel stored. you need to store it outside because its harder to vent the exhaust with its terrible imperfect combustion. i think you will be using those guns a lot in an emergency like that. and the only places that gas is being shut off is the barrier islands and breezy point. not exactly queens or brooklyn.

Last edited by andrewrossnagel; 11-10-2012 at 11:52 AM.
andrewrossnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #605
grkm3

My Ride: Money Pit
Send a message via AIM to grkm3
I'm probably looking at 20kW in a standby generator. I already have oil heat and was told I would be able to use the same fuel, with the addition of an additive. I also have something to keep looters at bay.

Coming Soon: Open to suggestions

Last edited by grkm3; 11-10-2012 at 12:01 PM.
grkm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #606
rkhettry23

My Ride: Has2Turbos & X-Drive
I have this http://www.generac.com/Residential/GuardianSeries/30kW/ and it worked like a champ for over a week.

It was such a breeze. No refilling gas cans/refueling the generator. Just turned it off once a day and let it set for an hour and checked oil levels. Other than that, you would have no idea (aside from the noise) that my house wasn't being powered by the normal grid.

I also have two gas powered generators for backup incase the natural gas lines stop working.

2002 325xi--Parted Out

Last edited by rkhettry23; 11-10-2012 at 01:57 PM.
rkhettry23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #607
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
How many of you guys that own your own homes are now considering natural gas generators at your house now? Friend of mine just ordered one ($8000) saying he's had enough of this power outtage bs.
Costco has(had I'm sure now) for 2500. Install costs a bit but still. An amazing deal.

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #608
BimmerIsMyName

My Ride: 2007 VW Jetta 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkm3 View Post
I'm probably looking at 20kW in a standby generator. I already have oil heat and was told I would be able to use the same fuel, with the addition of an additive. I also have something to keep looters at bay.

Uzi?

2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 2.5L
Mods: Smoked headlights and tail lights, Clear Side Markers, Front grill chrome delete, BSH Cold Air Intake, MSW 17" Black Wheels, Eibach Pro-Cup Kit, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit (Front and Rear), Magnaflow Catback, 18" BBS CK
BimmerIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #609
grkm3

My Ride: Money Pit
Send a message via AIM to grkm3
Pre-Ban UZI, Model B

Coming Soon: Open to suggestions

grkm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #610
Rif Raf

My Ride: 2001 330i w/ Sport
I have a question. How do I help people rebuild?

I've been involved in the architectural and construction fields for over 30 years, I've designed and built homes, schools, retail, commercial, and industrial projects in California, Ohio and currently Utah. I spent 10 years of my life overseeing the construction of more than 2000 homes for the AF Housing Privatization program mandated by congress until June of this year when my project ended. I've since gotten my GC License in Utah, and I'm looking to do something meaningful with my life.

I think helping those who have experienced such devastating losses would be a good use of my skills and experience, but honestly I don't have a clue where to start.

How do I get involved?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #611
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rif Raf View Post
I have a question. How do I help people rebuild?

I've been involved in the architectural and construction fields for over 30 years, I've designed and built homes, schools, retail, commercial, and industrial projects in California, Ohio and currently Utah. I spent 10 years of my life overseeing the construction of more than 2000 homes for the AF Housing Privatization program mandated by congress until June of this year when my project ended. I've since gotten my GC License in Utah, and I'm looking to do something meaningful with my life.

I think helping those who have experienced such devastating losses would be a good use of my skills and experience, but honestly I don't have a clue where to start.

How do I get involved?

Thanks

Its tough. I remember some of my family members went down to New Orleans to help. They said it was more govt bs than anything. Very hard to help them clean up, even when they had proper paperwork. If you get in contact with a church or organizations with the proper paper work or that's legit who that will actually help these people that would be your best route.

http://www.fema.gov/volunteer-donate-responsibly

http://vimeo.com/dustandgrooves/norton

Quote:
Norton Records is looking for volunteers to help save their stock...from their blog...

Thank you again to all the volunteers who have been helping Norton Records recover the near total destruction of our Brooklyn warehouse at the hands of Hurricane Sandy. We have been able to salvage some stock but the job is incredibly overwhelming. We will need able hands to help with the salvage effort here at Norton HQ in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn. This is an indoor job, pulling records out of wet boxes, etc. If anyone has a vehicle of any sort to assist in getting wet boxes from the Red Hook warehouse to HQ in Prospect Heights, please call. No reception in Red Hook. Email is best bet atnortonrec@aol.com. Billyís cell (917) 671-7185 and the office landline (718) 789-4438 are the best bet for phone. Donít leave a message. Call back til you get one of us. Messages are full.