E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
m5t

My Ride: 325 Ci
Send a message via Skype™ to m5t
Uneven height at rear (oem stock parts)

I have e46 325 Coupe with sport suspension, which is 15mm lower then standard one. After replacing my original 18" wheels with 19 CSL replicas (8.5 square setup) I realized my rear right side is almost an inch is lower then the other, and therefore I'm rubbing quite a bit on that side. I was pretty sure my spring broke, but when I took everything apart yesterday I was surprised to see that spring is fine, shock absorber and all other parts look fine as well.

I need to understand what my next steps are, I don't mind rolling arches afterwards, but first I want to make sure suspension is looking good, and one side being lower is not good

Does shocks have any influence on the height, so I can exclude them right away? So in my case shocks and springs are the original oem ones, springs have 3 grey stripes (hardness). Can springs just wear out, as basically they are almost 10 years old now, can this be the case? Is there anything else that can cause this?

PS I'm attaching the picture from where you can see the height with 18" wheels.

Last edited by m5t; 10-28-2012 at 07:57 AM.
m5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Jperry666

My Ride: 2002 325i 5spd
I had a similar issue with rear ride height being different. My problem was a broken sway bar link. Have you checked those?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Jperry666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
chrisbp

My Ride: E46 Coupe
What make and what offset are the wheels and what profile tyres you running ?
chrisbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
m5t

My Ride: 325 Ci
Send a message via Skype™ to m5t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperry666 View Post
I had a similar issue with rear ride height being different. My problem was a broken sway bar link. Have you checked those?
Thank you for a hint, how do you check if its broken? B***1091;***1090;***1077; or physically broken into two parts? I guess it will hard to tell whether its bent, but I don't think its physically broken in my case, as I would see it. Also I have wheel alignment few month ago, I'm sure they would see if there was something wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbp View Post
What make and what offset are the wheels and what profile tyres you running ?
Offset is 37 and they are 8.5. Tyres are 255/35, so they should fit, and I can see this on one side, its just perfect - not too low to rub and not too high. There's a problem with suspension, as 1 inch difference its a lot, so I need to solve that first.

What I noticed few times already, is when putting rear wheels back on the ground from the jack, its actually stays might higher fist and then it goes down. So I don't think spring will do this, this behavior is more related to shocks, no? Unfortunately the only way I can check this, is to replace shocks, but I don't want to do it unless I'm sure they can influence the height level. I'm not saying someone can diagnose this with 100%, but at least in theory. For example I was pretty sure before that only springs are responsible for 'lowering the car', and yes, you might want to match them with shorter and sportier shocks. But can car actually go lower on the same springs if shocks are going bad? Or can the spring become weaker with time, as normally they just brake? Thank you in advance.

PS Adding a picture of my other side which is 'normal'

Last edited by m5t; 10-28-2012 at 06:04 PM.
m5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
Jperry666

My Ride: 2002 325i 5spd
You would have to visually inspect it. Mine was broken in two. Your bushings could be bad if not physically broken.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Jperry666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Beamer Creamer

My Ride: 2005 bmw m3
Jack car up by mounts and make sure measurement from rim to fender is same. If so sway bar good. I would thimk its a sacked of spring. But also think shock absorber weak or toast could prob put enough extra weight on spring to compress one inch possibly. Are fronts exactly the same? How many miles on shocks and springs?

Last edited by Beamer Creamer; 11-06-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Beamer Creamer is offline   Reply With Quote