E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
RyanSoegeng562

My Ride: E46 328ci
Cleaning Engine Bay???

How should I go about handling this? I am the third owner looks like never been done before and there is coolant splashed everywhere...
RyanSoegeng562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
with engine as cold as possible (very warm is OK) mist with a safe degreaser. let sit. rinse. for stubborn areas, repeat again with a brush to loosen dirt. repeat. avoid prolonged and/or direct spray at any one part, especially electrical parts/sensors.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
I wipe mine down with a 50/50 mix of SimpleGreen. Stuff is amazing! And cheap. Not as thorough as a full wash w/ an engine degreaser, but it majkes the plastic a rich black. Then hit it with some ArmorAll or EagleOne Interior and it'll be looking pretty fresh.

Last time I was at a shop, they came out and asked me if they could put a sticker in my engine bay because it was so clean and wanted permission first

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0e3o7 View Post
Just keep your lil boy zell on a leash; a proud self proclaimed TROLL
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Armorall is a big no-no in the pro detailing world. Heavily frowned upon. The engine should look matte after a nice cleaning/detail. just like from the factory. not 0.00001% different.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I've heard good things about 303 Aerospace protectant. I think it's more of a matte finish than Armorall.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Johal E32

My Ride: E46 323iT/5
303 is good stuff. I use it on tires, wood trim, and engine bays. A little goes a long way.

Btw, 303 is NOT a cleaner, its a kind of dressing/protectant. It will go after you clean the engine bay. As Mango mentioned, take it easy with the water, do not focus on one area, especially electronics..
Old 11-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #7
TOGWT

My Ride: Jaguar XKE
"Engine Bay Detailing" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1448628

I hope the information in this article is of some help to you. If you have any further questions please let me know
TOGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #8
Scooby24

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
with engine as cold as possible (very warm is OK) mist with a safe degreaser. let sit. rinse. for stubborn areas, repeat again with a brush to loosen dirt. repeat. avoid prolonged and/or direct spray at any one part, especially electrical parts/sensors.
This...exactly.

I'm a hobbyist detailer and have followed the same approach on every engine bay and never experienced a problem. Just have to be cognizant of any exposed filter elements.

Only additional recommendation would be to cover the alternator if it's aged. An alternator on its way out will have an accelerated death after being exposed to a significant amount of water.

edit: Also, I agitate and then rinse...and by safe degreaser I use a very mild alkaline degreaser. I've played around with 1z blitz, w99, Optimum power clean, simple green, and a few others. In the right dilution, all are safe, though some more safe than others. w99 is the most aggressive, blitz the least. I prefer OPC above all for cleaning power + safe results. I finish by dressing plastics with Finish Kare Top Kote. Also dry immediately following rinse with a leaf blower to avoid "soak" time.

results from OPC:

Last edited by Scooby24; 11-10-2012 at 03:56 AM.
Scooby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
99magna

My Ride: 2to4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
This...exactly.

I'm a hobbyist detailer and have followed the same approach on every engine bay and never experienced a problem. Just have to be cognizant of any exposed filter elements.

Only additional recommendation would be to cover the alternator if it's aged. An alternator on its way out will have an accelerated death after being exposed to a significant amount of water.

edit: Also, I agitate and then rinse...and by safe degreaser I use a very mild alkaline degreaser. I've played around with 1z blitz, w99, Optimum power clean, simple green, and a few others. In the right dilution, all are safe, though some more safe than others. w99 is the most aggressive, blitz the least. I prefer OPC above all for cleaning power + safe results. I finish by dressing plastics with Finish Kare Top Kote. Also dry immediately following rinse with a leaf blower to avoid "soak" time.

results from OPC:

That is an excellent cleaning job man !!!!!!!!!.
99magna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
Mr.Makeveli

My Ride: 2001 325i(sedan)
Looks terrific
Mr.Makeveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
straight_beamin

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
Wow impressive!
Old 11-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
Scooby24

Thanks guys! A few more if you don't mind me sharing.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
Johal E32

My Ride: E46 323iT/5
^ Did you put plastic bags or something over all of those electronics like the alternator etc..? The acura and scubie look like they had some relatively difficult engine bays to clean. It makes the BMW engine bay look easy!

-Thanks! *******
Old 11-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #14
acidbass303

My Ride: 2003 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
Thanks guys! A few more if you don't mind me sharing.

Wow mate! Splendid job!
acidbass303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #15
Arock1092

My Ride: Bmw M3
Get a good degreaser thats safe to use, drive to a diy carwash, spray degrease all over engine bay/ desired parts, pressure wash with sprayer, repeat until you are satisfied, Drive car for 20min to ensure self dry.. Open hood and enjoy the clean look!
Arock1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #16
Scooby24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johal E32 View Post
^ Did you put plastic bags or something over all of those electronics like the alternator etc..? The acura and scubie look like they had some relatively difficult engine bays to clean. It makes the BMW engine bay look easy!

-Thanks! *******
I did over the alternator on most of them. The electronics I don't worry about because they are sealed and the ones that aren't have no/very little risk of bridging connections by getting wet.

As a safe measure I blow dry the engine bay and spend a little more time at each of the obvious electrical connectors. The bay is bone dry by the time the car is started again.

And yes, the Subaru took forever...I took a little extra time on the intercooler with a set of tweezers to pull out the bent fins, making it look new again.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:00 AM   #17
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I found that "scrubbing bubbles" works great. Got the idea from M5Board (here). Just spray the stuff on, wait about 10 minutes, and then rinse off. I personally dried away as much as I could before starting the engine.

Before:

After:

And a shot of my car (don't have a before picture, but it was about as bad if not worse than the E60 above)

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 12-23-2012 at 01:01 AM.
TerraPhantm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning engine bay