E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
louiecat

My Ride: 2000 Bmw 323ci
Bent fuel rail

I hope I'm posting this right, I recently helped replace the motor in my 2000 323ci and noticed the fuel rail is bent down slightly near the cabin air filter housing, this is from the new motor was strapped tightly to the wood pallet for shipping, could someone let me know how I can check this out to see if there may be a fuel pressure issue Thanks.
louiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
If your injectors are all not damaged by this distortion, and there are not leaks at any of the injectors, and the engine runs smoothly, then you're probably good to go.
You could check fuel pressure at the Schrader valve if you want to be thorough.

Did you put a 330 motor in there when you had the chance?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
louiecat

Thank you for responding, I have'nt got the motor to run yet, another friend of mine helped me try he shot starting fluid into the small hose inlet near the mas and the motor started for a second when I tried to step on the gas it died right away, The motor I bought for the car looks to be the same one we pulled out of the car. I am pretty sure its a 2.5 motor. we also tried pressing the little release valve on the front of the fuel rail near the thermostat and some gas did come out of the valve I dont know how much pressure there is suppose to be. is there a way of checking the fuel pressure at that valve?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
louie586

My Ride: 2013 ATS 2.0T/6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiecat View Post
is there a way of checking the fuel pressure at that valve?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=30-81065041-2
louie586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiecat View Post
we also tried pressing the little release valve on the front of the fuel rail near the thermostat and some gas did come out of the valve I dont know how much pressure there is suppose to be.
Supposed to be in the neighborhood of 40 psi.

Always think about using the spaghetti coder

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/06/04/54
Old 11-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
louiecat

Hello Stinger9 I checked the fuel pressure monday and while cranking car the gauge went up to 55 then it would drop down and stick around 35 fr a short time, I still am not able to get car to start. DO you know if there is a plug that controls the fuel injectors we could have overlooked when putting motor in car? it seems like the injectors are not coming on. I greatly appreciate all of your Imput. Bill
Old 11-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
Stinger9

This is not something I've had any experience with as I've only replaced my fuel injectors.
I know there is a harness bundle from the injectors that must come from down under. I'd only suggest following the bundle down under to see if you can find anything out of order.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
I would prime the pump and see how long the rail stays pressurized. It's a fair bet that a quickly-dropping pressure means a fuel leak. I would probably replace the rail for peace of mind personally, but it may not be strictly necessary.

Based on your posts, I am guessing that your issue is not directly fuel-related. You can, however, use a noid light to make sure the injectors are getting a proper signal from the DME.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
Stinger9

Or listen to the injectors with a stethoscope (or screwdrive) to see if they click open.