E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Andrew99328i

My Ride: 328i 99
Noob question LSD conversion diff for e46

Hi,
I was reading this post

I'm a noob, this is my first post, so it probably might be a stupid one.

moving forward, i saw this deal on craigslist (below) I have a 99 328i 5sp, and I need a LSD, this dude is selling the whole rear end axles and whatnot in decent shape for one grand, it IS off a e39 m5 and it is 3.15. As far as mounting is this possible?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/3371715265.html
Also i bought m3 OEM suspension parts last week should be a direct swap(correct me if i'm wrong) for shocks and struts.

Ref:
http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/GearRatios.htm
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/3371715265.html

thanks!

_a_
Andrew99328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
That e39 subframe will not fit in an e46. You will need to go with an aftermarket lsd unit for the e46 non-m carrier or get an m3 rear subframe and diff assembly. If you go the m3 subframe route, you will need different rear wheels due to a change in offset.

I believe that the m3 suspension fits if you knock the alignment dowel out on the front strut towers. i cannot confirm for sure though.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
You said you need an LSD? Are you building a track car?

If so, there might be other avenues you would want to consider

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Bimmer App
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Andrew99328i

@GSherbs
No not building a track car thisi s my daily driver, i have a ws6 Trans am. I got this car to drive to work its nice but its slooooow. and that lack of LSD kills me. and i cant just swap the diff for and older one and all the diffs for this housing are so expensive i'd rather just but a m3 backend. :/
this car is bone stock perdy much. I just put some ebay headers on and got suspension for 100 bucks on craigslist prob gonna put a golf tee in the back. I dont wanna put too much money in it paid 4g's for it so i dont wanna spend another 1,5k on a diff u know?

@Dangerousminds
When you say knock off do you mean rethread em? or literally just cut them off?

Regards,

Last edited by Andrew99328i; 10-29-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: addition to reply
Old 10-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Andrew99328i

Here is a question to all: if this was your car, what would you do on it for cheap to make it reasonably fast? (please no air intake suggestions)
tnks!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
aikmanson

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew99328i View Post
Here is a question to all: if this was your car, what would you do on it for cheap to make it reasonably fast? (please no air intake suggestions)
tnks!
Not much to do for 'cheap'. Best option is to supercharge it, buy a used or new kit for 3-5k and you will have nice power.

To answer your question, If it were MY car, I would leave it stock for now and worry about maintenance and suspension.
aikmanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Andrew99328i

@aikmanson
I asked the previous owner about maintanance: water pump hose pulley, therm housing lower collant hose upper radiator expansion tank hose heater core hose done done done....
engine rebuilt 15k ago.... so im pretty much staying with the meyle heavy duty stuff control arms and new bushings all around, (subframe upgrades also).
and then im out of things to do :/
thanks for the suggestions!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Cheap? Nothing.

Take it for what it is.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
You could piece together a turbo kit for it for reasonably cheap, but after a good tune and everything you're still going to spend at least $3k. I'm with Choxor, take it for what it is and enjoy devouring corners... I'm with you on the lack of LSD though, I nearly didn't buy my E46 based on that alone, but you get used to not having one after a while.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Not to mention you're gonna need a special tool to remove the diff.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
Unfortunatley the LSD option for non-M e46 is pricey. I never felt the need for the LSD even with supercharged 325.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
If it were my car, my daily driver - I'd leave it as-is and focus on maintenance & reliability...

You'll never "need" an LSD for getting back and forth to work. And it probably won't change your commute time all that much
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
for all that it will cost you and what you plan to use the car for i would not do it. this is coming from someone who has put a LS unit into a non-M diff many years ago.
i absolutely loved my LSD but for the cost and effort that you say you want the car for i would pass.

also as said, the M5 diff is not what you need
Old 10-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #14
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
M3 diff and rear subframe is probably the best way to go if you are dead set on putting in an LSD, BUT it's not going to be inexpensive. There are several things to consider here. You have a 328, which without any modification to the engine or HP seem to tear out rear subframes on these cars. It can be fixed and if you plan on installing the M3 LSD then you should take the time to install one of the subframe reinforcement kits that are out there. I know there are at least two, Turner comes to mind but can't remember the other one. have it welded in by a shop and then mount the M3 subrame. You'll also need adjustable camber arms in order to align the rear end in your non-M once you shift over to the M3 subframe. Also take into consideration that the stock M3 diff is 3.62:1 which means that you'll be turning quite a few RPM going 60 in 5th gear, and first gear will be all but useless.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///

Last edited by TitaniumCranium; 10-30-2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: correct diff ratio
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #15
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
The car will never be fast unless you want to dump a good amount of money into it. Abandon that idea now.

The road handling is impeccable *until* you break traction. At that point, the open diff and drive by wire (in later models) kills any sort of control you may have to steer with your right foot. But here's the thing...the rear floor pan is so weak, that driving in a manner that would require you to have a LSD will eventually tear the mounting points out (you have checked these for damage, right?).

If you want to drive it like a hooligan, put reinforcement plates in the back and spend some money on a custom diff or full M3 setup. If you want a LSD for bad weather, i'd strongly weigh your options and get some good snow tires in the mean time.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
spikester550

My Ride: 330ci, 86.5 hardbody
Send a message via AIM to spikester550
Quote:
Originally Posted by aikmanson View Post
Not much to do for 'cheap'. Best option is to supercharge it, buy a used or new kit for 3-5k and you will have nice power.

To answer your question, If it were MY car, I would leave it stock for now and worry about maintenance and suspension.
exactly what i did!
CF CSL Trunk, Black Kidney Grills, Smoked Corners,
Painted Reflectors, M3 Steering Wheel,
ZHP Shift Knob, Clutch Stop, Shark Injector,
15mm Spacers, 3k DDM HID Fogs, OEM M3 Hood,
Coilovers, UUC Sways, and many more..
spikester550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
Andrew99328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
...the rear floor pan is so weak, that driving in a manner that would require you to have a LSD will eventually tear the mounting points out (you have checked these for damage, right?).
Damage is scarce but yes, I have the rear subframe bushings to replace, prob will need someone in DFW area with an arc welder and spare time
Old 11-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Read this BMW official file on the rear subframe problems.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf e46_subframe_tis.pdf (361.3 KB, 67 views)
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #19
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
just to correct a few misunderstandings on a Limited Slip diff. it is not only useful to just high power cars. if you think the non-Ms devour the corners now, or have impeccable road handling...with a LSD it handles much better. people often confuse a LSD for just putting down power in launches or drifting, they actually do a great deal for handling.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #20
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
M3 LSD with M5 ring and pinion would be the way to go if you want the M-LSD with a decent ratio