E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
demoultrie

My Ride: E46 2001 325xi
Can you use a used Transmission control module

I was told that my transmission control module is gone and my car is in limp mode. The indy told me that i have to get a new one and have it coded to my car because a used one will not work because the VIN is associated to each car, The dealer states the same and the cost of the module is $1500 new?

Is it possible to get a used one recoded and if so who does it?
Thanks,
demoultrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
SteadyMobbin

My Ride: ImolaZHP 6spd M/T
What codes were pulled?
SteadyMobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
demoultrie

They didn't tell me it was pulling any codes. He said the put a tester on it and the dash lights went off. I took it to another tranny place and he told me they could not connect to the transmission. I'll check to see if it was pulling codes from this place.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:54 AM   #4
SteadyMobbin

Are there any lights on the dash board...? You should definitely figure out what codes were pulled before doing anything...
Old 10-30-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Not sure about the xi's but that doesn't sound right at all. When I was recoding modules during my tranny swap I dont' recall there being any programming menus in the EGS (transmission control module). To be honest, this is all conjecture at this point.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Can Use any egs. I'm using one off a diesal 330d

There is a spot on the egs for vin And other info.

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 10-30-2012 at 09:28 AM.
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
demoultrie

Sorry about that, I no longer have the 325XI I moved across country and two weeks after moving someone crashed into me and it was destroyed. I forgot to update my profile. I have a 2001 325I automatic now.

They said they could not pull any codes because the TCM would not connect. They only work on BMW's and Mini so I'm assuming they are using the correct scanners.

The dash has the (!) nest to each gear and will not shift out of 4th I believe and also has check engine light on. I took it to autozone when it first happened and with the OBDII scanner they could not pull any codes either.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
SteadyMobbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoultrie View Post
Sorry about that, I no longer have the 325XI I moved across country and two weeks after moving someone crashed into me and it was destroyed. I forgot to update my profile. I have a 2001 325I automatic now.

They said they could not pull any codes because the TCM would not connect. They only work on BMW's and Mini so I'm assuming they are using the correct scanners.

The dash has the (!) nest to each gear and will not shift out of 4th I believe and also has check engine light on. I took it to autozone when it first happened and with the OBDII scanner they could not pull any codes either.
Go to the dealer and get the codes read before You start throwing money away into irrelevant parts. Try cleaning your maf and see if that helps.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #9
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

So the long and short of it is that you can buy a used EGS on ebay. The only thing you need to be aware of is the type of transmission that was connected to the EGS. I think your indy was either clueless or was looking to make a butt raping.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
Old 11-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
bernzpeed

My Ride: 2001 325i
i have the same problem. My OBD II cannot be read by any of my shops scantools. Dealerships says it's EGS module and it's specific to the car when programmed. I wanted to find out more info about this and if I could reprogram a used one. Is there a possibility to reprogramming used EGS?
bernzpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #11
bernzpeed

Okay, an update. I replaced my EGS with a used one and the OBD reader read the DME but it failed smog still because I haven't driven the car for very long. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't need to reprogram the EGS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Old 11-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #12
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Pull the codes with a obd2 reader and figure out why it's throwing the code. EGS may have programming for VIN, but unless you have some specialized equipment you're not doing much to the EGS module with BMW standard tools.

/// MODS
Old 01-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
demoultrie

So I did get a used TCM and it was programmed with my VIN and worked for a couple months though is still didn't shift completely right. So I was driving the other day and all of a sudden the car jumps back into limp mode but that time much differently. If I turn the car on and off it comes out of limp mode but after a few minutes it's right back in and shifts very slippery. Fluid is good, new filter, it threw p0735 5th gear ratio and they say the fix is the speed sensor. well it's not, after replacing the speed sensor it I had the same limp mode slippy transmission. From what I have found it seem like the valve body has gone bad and it needs to be rebuild or a new/used tranny. I was hoping it was something electrical because it's kind of weird that turning the car on and off with take it out of limp mode.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
demoultrie

where did you find the tranny? I shopping for one now.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #15
bernzpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoultrie View Post
So I did get a used TCM and it was programmed with my VIN and worked for a couple months though is still didn't shift completely right. So I was driving the other day and all of a sudden the car jumps back into limp mode but that time much differently. If I turn the car on and off it comes out of limp mode but after a few minutes it's right back in and shifts very slippery. Fluid is good, new filter, it threw p0735 5th gear ratio and they say the fix is the speed sensor. well it's not, after replacing the speed sensor it I had the same limp mode slippy transmission. From what I have found it seem like the valve body has gone bad and it needs to be rebuild or a new/used tranny. I was hoping it was something electrical because it's kind of weird that turning the car on and off with take it out of limp mode.
my brother bought a 330ci and had the same problem and he ended up having the tranny rebuilt.

update on my EGS. I popped in a used one and worked perfectly and finally passed smog after about 300 miles. car is finally registered to me.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #16
Maxiest

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Did you have to have that EGS programmed? Because I am about to attempt the same thing to clear up my car being in LIMP Mode.
Maxiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #17
bernzpeed

no i didn't at all. it came from a 330ci and i just drove the car about 500 miles before i got it smogged.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #18
Maxiest

I also have a 330ci, trying to find one that was on my model also. But that's good news. As of now my car won't even shift because of the "limp mode." There is tons of people saying it needs programmed with VIN and what not. I think they are getting the main ECU/DME mixed up with the EGS. I am hoping I don't. Thanks for answering.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #19
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
I need to repeat myself?
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #20
Maxiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
I need to repeat myself?
No..... Goodness.

But all you have to do is a simple search and there are other posters that say you have to reprogram it, and I figured they were wrong. I was basically double checking with the bernzpeed because of I knew he just installed one.

As I said, I think in other threads people get DME, ECU, EGS, all mixed up. Saying they couldn't start after installing the ECU and had to have it programmed for their keys and VIN. But I figure they were talking about the main computer (DME).

Thanks!