E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Police overstepping their authority

Judge Orders $1 Million Returned to Exotic Dancer

A federal judge has ruled that Nebraska cops must return over $1 million confiscated at a traffic stop from a woman who saved the money $1 at a time during her 15 year career as an exotic dancer.

The money belongs to Tara Mishra, 33, of Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., who began putting aside her earnings when she started dancing at age 18, according to an opinion U.S. District Judge Joseph Bataillon wrote last week. The money was meant to start her business and get out of the stripping business, the judge wrote.

State troopers confiscated the money in March 2012 when they pulled over Rajesh and Marina Dheri, of Montville, N.J., for speeding in Nebraska, according to court documents. The Dheris are friends of Mishra and had been given the cash so they could buy a nightclub in New Jersey. Mishra would own half of the business and the Dheris would own the other half.

Mishra had packaged the money in $10,000 bundles tied with hair bands and placed in plastic bags, and it was stashed in the trunk of the Dheri's rented car, which the Dheris were driving to Chicago. When they were pulled over for speeding, a state trooper asked the Dheris if he could search their vehicle, which they allowed, Bataillon explained.

The state trooper found the money and after suspecting it was drug money took the Dheris into custody, according to the judge's opinion. But police did not find any evidence of drug activity in the car and a K-9 analysis found only trace elements of illegal drugs on the cash, according to Bataillon.

Neither Mishra nor the Dheris could not be reached for comment.

"The government failed to show a substantial connection between drugs and the money," Bataillon wrote in his opinion. "The dog sniff is inconsequential…The court finds the Mishras' story is credible…Ms. Mishra did have control over the money and directed the Dheris to deliver the money to New Jersey for the purchase of the business."

Bataillon ordered that Mishra receive cash or a check in the value of $1,074,000 with interest.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...151044009.html
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
idgaf

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Damn she's hittin that pole hard as fuck.

^Driving this car makes me a homosexual
2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
She saved $66k a year?! **** me.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I take it that most of that money wasn't taxed.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
6 posts in and no request for pics of said stripper? I want to see the broad that rakes in enough to save $66k per year.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Probably is a provider on the side

^Driving this car makes me a homosexual
2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
6 posts in and no request for pics of said stripper? I want to see the broad that rakes in enough to save $66k per year.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Kwando

My Ride: rolls Volks TE-37SL
I'm just here for pics.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
nike001

My Ride: Fergo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
I take it that most of that money wasn't taxed.
Yeah but that's also money that she was able to SAVE... which means she must have had a decent bit of spending/living money as well

330i ZHP 6MT | H&R Sport Cup | BMW Performance | OEM Clears | Coby Wheel
nike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
Old 07-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
A million in low bills in the trunk of a car with trace amount of "drug residue". If a dog can pick it up, then you have probable cause. The dog does not tell you, oh I smell drugs but it is so trace that it's equivalent to what is typically found in anyone's wallet. The dog tells you that there is drug scent, couple that with seeing more cash than is typically reasonable for someone to have.

The dog hits and a million in someone's trunk is worth following up. Police were completely in the right and made it right in the end. Please cry more.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Wasn't there a story about 90% of bills having traces of cocaine? With that much cash it's no wonder the dogs went off.

I have a buddy that's a stripper here in ATL at a prominent club. The amount of money a girl can make on a good night is phucking insane.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #14
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
A million in low bills in the trunk of a car with trace amount of "drug residue". If a dog can pick it up, then you have probable cause. The dog does not tell you, oh I smell drugs but it is so trace that it's equivalent to what is typically found in anyone's wallet. The dog tells you that there is drug scent, couple that with seeing more cash than is typically reasonable for someone to have.

The dog hits and a million in someone's trunk is worth following up. Police were completely in the right and made it right in the end. Please cry more.
Evidence of a crime is needed to seize property. That cash has drug residue is not evidence that the person with such cash acquired that cash illegally. Proof of a crime is needed not "well this person might have committed a crime but we have no evidence showing that at this time".

It is not illegal to transport large amounts of cash.
It is not illegal to be in possession of money which, at some point in it's circulation, was exposed to drugs.
It is not illegal to do both of those at the same time.

With no evidence that a crime has been committed by someone, there is no probable cause to seize their property. The appropriate action on the part of the police would have been to open an investigation if they felt it was likely that the money was part of a criminal activity. Not seize the money without probable cause. "This is unusual" is grounds to initiate contact, it isn't probable cause though. Feel free to read Terry v. Ohio for clarification on what constitutes probable cause.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post

meh, a dog sniff search without warrant of a citizens property has already been ruled unconstitutional, the same should be said about car searches with dogs
Old 07-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #16
Hedges

My Ride: C63 AMG
I agree with JJ
Old 07-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #17
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
meh, a dog sniff search without warrant of a citizens property has already been ruled unconstitutional, the same should be said about car searches with dogs
Quote:
When they were pulled over for speeding, a state trooper asked the Dheris if he could search their vehicle, which they allowed, Bataillon explained.
The search isn't the issue. The question is whether someone driving around with a million in small bills is so out of the ordinary that the police were right to detain the people and seize the money.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #19
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
How did she not get robbed in 15 years? Someone shady had to know she was stashing this. Also, who is picking up the tab for interest? Taxpayers?

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #20
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
Pic of her first morning in the slammer?

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote