E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 11:05 PM   #1
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
Amtrak derailment in Philly

Being called a "mass casualty event"

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...303536331.html

Very sad. RIP to the lives lost
Old 05-12-2015, 11:10 PM   #2
Stankia

My Ride: V8
5 dead is hardly a mass casualty event
Old 05-12-2015, 11:46 PM   #3
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
"Casualties" also include injured people. So right now I think it's more like 60 people.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:23 AM   #4
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
If you line up a friggin dozen or more ambulances, I think that qualifies as mass casualties.

Looking at the first (admittedly crappy) photos, I'm surprised it only killed 5.
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Xcelratr; 05-13-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:34 AM   #5
Chris3Duke

I don't think we're done with the death toll yet. There are still people missing, and a number of those in the hospital are in critical condition.

I woke up to this news at 4am EDT, as I prepared to grab a 6am Acela (high speed) Amtrak train from DC to NYC (ie. this route). Looks like all service will be shut down for at least a couple of days, if not much longer.

I just rebooked onto a flight to Laguardia. Expect air travel prices on this route to spike as a ton of business travelers temporarily shift to planes.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:03 AM   #6
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
My initial guess without knowing but so much is the train was taking the curve too fast causing derailment but we'll have to wait and see what the investigation produces.

Quote:
The cause of the derailment was unknown, but Amtrak said it was investigating. The area where the derailment occurred is known as Frankford Junction and has a big curve.
This link has a bunch of photos: http://news.yahoo.com/photos/amtrak-...041931407.html

"My philosophy as a businessman has always been to take care of the people who make me successful. It has always been "we" in my business conversations with others. At a certain point in a successful business it behooves one to make sure those doing a good job of supporting you are not struggling to make ends meet."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:34 AM   #7
Chris3Duke

That curve is crazy. Wasn't one of Obama's campaign pitches to fix the 100 year old train tracks in eastern PA to pave the way for high speed rail?

Up to 6 dead now, 150 hospitalized.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:00 AM   #8
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
We kept a nice little townhouse in DC that used to belong to my brother from when he worked on the hill, a brief walk from Union Station... And we often stay there when we go East to visit. If we go to NYC from there, we frequently take the early Acela to Penn Station... Have for years. I know exactly where that happened. Crazy... Now My Beloved is all freaked out about it...

Last edited by BoogetyBoogety; 05-13-2015 at 07:00 AM.
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #9
217Bimmer

My Ride: Dodge Durango
always takes a tragedy to fix **** like this. our rail infrastructure sucks ass.
217Bimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:12 AM   #10
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
The infrastructure of this country is going to come and collect very soon....to 217s point, it isn't only our rail....in NY and NJ for instance, there are holes looking straight down to the water in bridges, rusted out I beams in overpasses, etc. This stuff will happen more and more often.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:21 AM   #11
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3Duke View Post
That curve is crazy. Wasn't one of Obama's campaign pitches to fix the 100 year old train tracks in eastern PA to pave the way for high speed rail?

Up to 6 dead now, 150 hospitalized.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/05/09/lahood.rail/

http://m.lancasteronline.com/opinion....html?mode=jqm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...ajM_story.htmlhttp://thehill.com/policy/transporta...portation-bill
Old 05-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #12
217Bimmer

My Ride: Dodge Durango
would be nice to stop spending money on pointless wars, foreign country reconstruction, and defense spending and instead hire thousands more engineers and construction workers to fix **** here!

upgrade air traffic control, which will allow planes to take the most efficient routes.
update and maintain bridges
redo the rail system, separate freight rail from commuter as much as possible. upgrade for high speed rail where it makes sense.
power grid.

all of these things would greatly benefit the country by improving the infrastructure while providing many high paying jobs. instead lets fvcking bitch about gay people marrying, smoking weed, and trying to deny people health care.
217Bimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
would be nice to stop spending money on pointless wars, foreign country reconstruction, and defense spending and instead hire thousands more engineers and construction workers to fix **** here!

upgrade air traffic control, which will allow planes to take the most efficient routes.
update and maintain bridges
redo the rail system, separate freight rail from commuter as much as possible. upgrade for high speed rail where it makes sense.
power grid.

all of these things would greatly benefit the country by improving the infrastructure while providing many high paying jobs. instead lets fvcking bitch about gay people marrying, smoking weed, and trying to deny people health care.
Well, in the NY, NJ, CT, PA area, the bridges and tunnels have extremely high tolls, which are supposed to pay for maintenance (they don't) ....so I don't want to see any tax money going to those things until the entire MTA union is disbanded, but that's another thread. The George Washington bridge brings in more money on a daily basis than some countries entire GDP.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #14
TRITONAL

My Ride: 04 330Ci
A train derailment will more than likely happen in Milwaukee very soon. Just saw this on the news last night:

http://fox6now.com/2015/05/12/this-n...e-next-quebec/

All you need to do is look at the pictures. The steel support beams that hold up the tracks are corroded through. The beams should be ~1" thick, some are either completely corroded or are down to .3" thick.

The railroad company "inspects" them yearly. No fixes in the future are planned. Like 217 said, a tragedy is the only way to fix **** like this.
The E46s are the Knights of the chessboard. They can outmaneuver the other, more powerful pieces on the board. They aren't the King or Queen of the garage, but they are the first piece that you want to move.
TRITONAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #15
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Gun control thread in 3..2..1...
Old 05-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #16
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
Gun control thread in 3..2..1...
If a keen-eyed citizen had a gun, he could have sniped the driver and shot the fuel lines to stop the train. This never would have happened.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #17
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
5 dead is hardly a mass casualty event
It is if there was a gun involved.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #18
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
Part of the problem with our country's infrastructure is that we are forced to just fix an old dated system rather than start fresh with a blank canvas. Imagine if we had nothing but forest and plains from sea to shining sea and we could plan the most efficient cities, the most efficient transport systems, the most efficient shopping centers, etc. That would be the idea way to go.

Unfortunately we are stuck just mending and repairing outdated systems, outdated interstate arteries, outdated airports, outdated rail networks, outdated city infrastructures, etc. As others have said, I expect we'll see much more of these type of accidents in years to come.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #19
Lair

My Ride: e90,e90, $5k Boxster
http://m.thefiscaltimes.com/all/2015-03-25-478b-infrastructure-bill-blocked-senate-gop#1
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:51 PM   #20
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
bomb

terrorists

in 60 days...