E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #41
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
I'm 6'5", but who is counting.

Explain please.
When you are running a calorie deficit constantly, the body looks elsewhere for energy. If you aren't lifting weights and/or not getting enough protein intake, then over time your lean muscle mass will be lost along with fat/water.

This still happens regardless, but you can definitely severely reduce the effects by incorporating heavy weightlifting / conditioning type workouts and eating a lot of good proteins.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #42
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Nick, I'm never going to let you off the hook for telling me to go running wearing a garbage bag and sweat pants to lose weight. Similarly, I'm not going to let that other guy off the hook for his low-sodium, high water intake "diet".

that's good if you're a fighter trying to make weight by drastic cutting in a short period of time ... but it is terrible for someone who wants to see longterm change

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #43
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
When you are running a calorie deficit constantly, the body looks elsewhere for energy. If you aren't lifting weights and/or not getting enough protein intake, then over time your lean muscle mass will be lost along with fat/water.

This still happens regardless, but you can definitely severely reduce the effects by incorporating heavy weightlifting / conditioning type workouts and eating a lot of good proteins.
I can't agree much with "Any dude looking to lose fat should be lifting weights a minimum of 3 times a week, and eating their bodyweight in protein a day" at all.

If you want to lose fat, you don't need to lift at all, and eating your body weight in protein will probably gain negative results. If you want to lose fat, fix your diet, and go running.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #44
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:
I can't agree much with "Any dude looking to lose fat should be lifting weights a minimum of 3 times a week, and eating their bodyweight in protein a day" at all.

If you want to lose fat, you don't need to lift at all, and eating your body weight in protein will probably gain negative results. If you want to lose fat, fix your diet, and go running.

For serious?
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #45
B_Cyrus
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
For serious?
Yes.

If I am completely missing something, please explain it to me. In a simpler way of saying it: cardio loses fat, lifting builds strength. Doing bicept curls and squats all day then eating the same and drinking protein wont make you lose fat.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #46
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:

That will result in loss of weight, but not necessarily in the form of fat only. I have lost tons of weight in the past following what you said, can't say everything I lost was fat.

You need to tear those muscles and reconstruct them while on a fat loss program in order to make sure the "net" loss will be in the form of fat only. And reconstruction requires a lot of protein.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Bimmer App

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT

Last edited by SeanC; 11-06-2012 at 07:48 PM.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #47
dabears

Quote:
Yes.

If I am completely missing something, please explain it to me. In a simpler way of saying it: cardio loses fat, lifting builds strength. Doing bicept curls and squats all day then eating the same and drinking protein wont make you lose fat.
Actually "cardio" (I assume you mean aerobic type exercises) is a catabolic (muscle utilizing) form of exercise. There is a reason long distance runners look the way they do. Their "fast twitch" muscle fibers are either very underdeveloped or even long gone (responsible for short, intense bursts of strength, sprinters need them that's why they are ripped). Slow twitch endurance fibers are all that is left. The body only has so much glycogen stored in the muscles (from carbs) and over long duration exercise it is used up. The body is horribly inefficient at creating glycogen from fat stores, it utilizes muscle tissue much more effectively. Over time, it will take effect on body composition.

By consuming adequate high quality protein and carbs peri-workout, despite running an energy deficit, you are directing your body to utilize the protein and carbs to repair muscle tissue, and make up the "deficit" via body fat stores. Heavy intense weightlifting / conditioning / HIIT type exercises create an anabolic state in your body, and your insulin sensitivity skyrockets (a good thing). I would never personally recommend any aerobic type exercises with durations longer than 30 minutes for fat loss

Simple terms get you into confusion sometimes, but basically fat loss is achievable from diet alone, however it is not ideal as an athlete because you will also lose strength. Strength gaining = eating more calories than you burn combined with strength training and weight loss = eating less. If you want the majority of that weight loss to be fat, i highly suggest you eat the proper nutrient macros and strength train at the same time, while maintaining an overall calorie deficit.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #48
M3Inline6

^^^And there you have it.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #49
B_Cyrus
Banned User

Quote:
Simple terms get you into confusion sometimes.
I'm sorry. Obviously my simple mind can't get around my field knowledge. Know that you explained all this to me, hopefully my feebleness can be excused. You are the expert in this field and I really should listen to everything you say.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #50
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
I'm 14.6% and was at 11.8 but that was hardly sustainable for me

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #51
M3Inline6

Quote:
I'm sorry. Obviously my simple mind can't get around my field knowledge. Know that you explained all this to me, hopefully my feebleness can be excused. You are the expert in this field and I really should listen to everything you say.
Why the sarcasm? He's really trying to be helpful and informative. You made a statement and asked for clarification as to why we disagreed. We're all here to learn from and share info with one another.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 11-06-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #52
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
you are all fat.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #53
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
He was referring to people in general?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #54
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
you are all fat.
My ass hurts!
Old 11-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #55
dabears

Quote:
believe me I'm far from an expert, but all that is based on legitimate studies/science. and in no way was what I said condescending, yet your answer is defensive and sarcastic. you also asked for an explanation.

what exactly is your point here? I'm thinking you don't have one
Old 11-07-2012, 01:17 AM   #56
BMW_Matt

Quote:
you are all fat.
I will take a picture and prove you wrong.

How do you take pictures in the locker room without looking....weird?

Last edited by BMW_Matt; 11-07-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #57
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
its physically impossible. and never been done.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #58
mkodama

Quote:
believe me I'm far from an expert, but all that is based on legitimate studies/science. and in no way was what I said condescending, yet your answer is defensive and sarcastic. you also asked for an explanation.

what exactly is your point here? I'm thinking you don't have one
lol, he never had a point, just butt hurt about me talking sht about him.

Interesting read though. Most of that made sense, but there a few parts didn't seem quite right. From everything I've read(more from a biologist point of view than athlete's), yes, there are different muscle fibers that process energy differently and have different strengths and weaknesses, but you don't ever lose or gain any. You are born with all the various types of muscle fibers, but exercise will increase the diameter of specific muscle fiber types being that they are activated separately. The increased diameter and biomechanics inside them is where the additional strength comes from. So underdeveloped muscles, yes, but long gone, no. The other part was the simplified explanation of the types of fuel used by the muscle fibers. I'll have to look into that more.

Last edited by mkodama; 11-07-2012 at 01:29 AM.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #59
BMW_Matt

Quote:
its physically impossible. and never been done.
Crap
Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #60
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
lol, he never had a point, just butt hurt about me talking sht about him.

Interesting read though. Most of that made sense, but there a few parts didn't seem quite right. From everything I've read(more from a biologist point of view than athlete's), yes, there are different muscle fibers that process energy differently and have different strengths and weaknesses, but you don't ever lose or gain any. You are born with all the various types of muscle fibers, but exercise will increase the diameter of specific muscle fiber types being that they are activated separately. The increased diameter and biomechanics inside them is where the additional strength comes from. So underdeveloped muscles, yes, but long gone, no. The other part was the simplified explanation of the types of fuel used by the muscle fibers. I'll have to look into that more.
The benefit I see from me typing stuff out and trying to be as detailed as possible (makes more long reads I know) is so that I can ingrain it in my own head. The setback to that is I may sound more confusing than a well thought out article haha.

What I meant by the "long gone" was me just exaggerating the effects of endurance type cardio on the fast twitch muscle fibers that we have all BUILT up with hard work. You are always genetically predisposed to what cards you are given, but through hard work you can still go beyond your "comfort zone". Building up muscle mass for 8 months and then cutting fat for 6 months without lifting any weight would severely impact the gains you realized in the 8 months... similar to a hardgainer struggling to gain mass, finally achieving it, then stopping eating a lot of calories. Both scenarios result in a significant loss of hard earned lean tissue!

I always seem to go into multiple paragraphs once I start typing, so I try and keep things simple... which leads to "holes" in what I'm saying that can easily be filled I think.