E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #61
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
This is a decent resource that simplifies what I was talking about ie glycogen stores etc.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/s...bohydrates.htm

This little chemistry blurb explains the fat->glycogen issue.

Quote:
The body can convert glycerol to glucose but it prefers to use amino acids for gluconeogenesis.

"Oxidation of fatty acids yields enormous amounts of energy on a molar basis, however, the carbons of the fatty acids cannot be utilized for net synthesis of glucose. The two carbon unit of acetyl-CoA derived from b-oxidation of fatty acids can be incorporated into the TCA cycle, however, during the TCA cycle two carbons are lost as CO2. Thus, explaining why fatty acids do not undergo net conversion to carbohydrate.
Essentially body goes to recently digested carbs -> glycogen stores in muscle -> amino acids (proteins) via gluconeogenesis -> fat lipids via gluconeogenesis (but it prefers amino acids)

A product of gluconeogenesis in the liver is ketone production, which is why low carb diets like atkins require very high protein and fat intake, to fuel gluconeogenesis due to the fact there are no carbs in the bloodstream... almost ever. A 24/7 low carb diet is NOT for athletes lol.

All this stuff I feel backs up the use of high intensity, short duration exercises for fat loss. You destroy your glycogen stores, elevate insulin sensitivity, and don't "overtrain" to the state of amino acid gluconeogenesis (obtained from both dietary protein and muscle fiber)

Last edited by dabears; 11-07-2012 at 10:40 AM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #62
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Actually "cardio" (I assume you mean aerobic type exercises) is a catabolic (muscle utilizing) form of exercise. There is a reason long distance runners look the way they do. Their "fast twitch" muscle fibers are either very underdeveloped or even long gone (responsible for short, intense bursts of strength, sprinters need them that's why they are ripped). Slow twitch endurance fibers are all that is left. The body only has so much glycogen stored in the muscles (from carbs) and over long duration exercise it is used up. The body is horribly inefficient at creating glycogen from fat stores, it utilizes muscle tissue much more effectively. Over time, it will take effect on body composition.

By consuming adequate high quality protein and carbs peri-workout, despite running an energy deficit, you are directing your body to utilize the protein and carbs to repair muscle tissue, and make up the "deficit" via body fat stores. Heavy intense weightlifting / conditioning / HIIT type exercises create an anabolic state in your body, and your insulin sensitivity skyrockets (a good thing). I would never personally recommend any aerobic type exercises with durations longer than 30 minutes for fat loss

Simple terms get you into confusion sometimes, but basically fat loss is achievable from diet alone, however it is not ideal as an athlete because you will also lose strength. Strength gaining = eating more calories than you burn combined with strength training and weight loss = eating less. If you want the majority of that weight loss to be fat, i highly suggest you eat the proper nutrient macros and strength train at the same time, while maintaining an overall calorie deficit.
deserves a re-quote for being a very good summary of all the basic information you need to understand why a person should be weight lifting to lose body fat and change the body

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:30 AM   #63
E92M

My Ride: '08 ZCP M3 | '03 R6
Quote:
Actually "cardio" (I assume you mean aerobic type exercises) is a catabolic (muscle utilizing) form of exercise. There is a reason long distance runners look the way they do. Their "fast twitch" muscle fibers are either very underdeveloped or even long gone (responsible for short, intense bursts of strength, sprinters need them that's why they are ripped). Slow twitch endurance fibers are all that is left. The body only has so much glycogen stored in the muscles (from carbs) and over long duration exercise it is used up. The body is horribly inefficient at creating glycogen from fat stores, it utilizes muscle tissue much more effectively. Over time, it will take effect on body composition.

By consuming adequate high quality protein and carbs peri-workout, despite running an energy deficit, you are directing your body to utilize the protein and carbs to repair muscle tissue, and make up the "deficit" via body fat stores. Heavy intense weightlifting / conditioning / HIIT type exercises create an anabolic state in your body, and your insulin sensitivity skyrockets (a good thing). I would never personally recommend any aerobic type exercises with durations longer than 30 minutes for fat loss

Simple terms get you into confusion sometimes, but basically fat loss is achievable from diet alone, however it is not ideal as an athlete because you will also lose strength. Strength gaining = eating more calories than you burn combined with strength training and weight loss = eating less. If you want the majority of that weight loss to be fat, i highly suggest you eat the proper nutrient macros and strength train at the same time, while maintaining an overall calorie deficit.
Triple re-quote.

Being realistic, the lowest I think I have ever achieved is approximately 10-11%. That was with 4x a week lifting, a very good diet and extremely high and expensive (IMO) protein intake.

Having returned as a full-time student these last 5 semesters, I have COMPLETELY fallen off the fitness train. I would put myself right now somewhere between 14-17%... probably closer to 16% . I have lifted probably 4 times (total) in the last 1.5 years . As I'm about to graduate, I'd like to push myself to return to that lower BF% region... and maybe a percent lower (@ 9%). That said, I personally feel like ~10% was pretty arduous to maintain. .

-Chris
Old 04-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #64
dabears

bumping this since I needed to look at it, for those who missed I feel it is a very informative thread.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #65
mkodama

Could I say 12% now?

And why have these pictures not been embedded yet?

Was originally going for ottermode. I think I need to work on arms and chest more.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #66
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
10-12 for me
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #67
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Could I say 12% now?

I would say that you're right on that mark. More muscle on your frame at 12% would look really good. Keep it up!

P.S. T-Rex and Curlbro are funny as hell. LMAO!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-25-2013 at 02:55 PM.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #68
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Looks like I am at about 25%, probably a little more. I have a scale at home that measures body fat but I am not sure how accurate it is and I never really use it.

I have a lot if muscle, but a lot of fat to go with it.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #69
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Could I say 12% now?

And why have these pictures not been embedded yet?

Was originally going for ottermode. I think I need to work on arms and chest more.
Bear mode is where I hope to end up some day.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #70
dabears

I'd be happy with "ripped" for life
Old 04-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #71
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Bear mode is where I hope to end up some day.
I actually like Bear Mode and Built myself, but with a waist as small as mine, I think I'm destined to remain in the body builder range forever. I measured my waistline Monday and it was a 29.....a friggin' 29...........at 188 lbs.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #72
bgsmith

I'll settle for bear mode, minus so much ab definition, I just want a flatter stomach and no love handles.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #73
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
I'll settle for bear mode, minus so much ab definition, I just want a flatter stomach and no love handles.
What's wrong with ab definition?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #74
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
that's a lot of work man!
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #75
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
that's a lot of work man!
Not really bro. If I can maintain my level of ab definition on my diet - and you eat cleaner than I do without a doubt - so can you.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-25-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #76
dabears

I'm banking on the assumption that once I achieve the level of body fat required to have visible abs, I will be able to stay there (like m3inline suggested). I essentially did it this winter at a +15% level, which is more difficult.

Slowly but surely I'm hoping to be able to have the knowledge + results to back it up.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #77
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
You guys should peek in my fat progress thread and see m3inline6's latest pics

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #78
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Nothing at all, just not my goal at the moment.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #79
M3Inline6

Quote:
I'm banking on the assumption that once I achieve the level of body fat required to have visible abs, I will be able to stay there (like m3inline suggested). I essentially did it this winter at a +15% level, which is more difficult.

Slowly but surely I'm hoping to be able to have the knowledge + results to back it up.

It does become pretty easy to manage body fat. When you're really lean, you can almost instantly see how certain foods/ingredients affect you. I know exactly what not to eat.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #80
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
I think it's a lot easier when you are naturally skinny though. I have a hard time putting on weight, so the weight I do put on makes me look pretty cut..but in reality I'm trying so hard to bulk but its fvcking impossible for me. I do have abs as a bonus though, and it makes me look way stronger than I am lol.
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote