E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 02:24 AM   #1
adr1an

My Ride: Carbon Black E46 M3
E46 M3 TOP TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) Replacement / DIY / EML

Hi guys - Recently I had my EML light come on. In researching the issue, I found several extremely helpful threads with regards to this light, and possible causes.

The 3rd post HERE was useful to others, and may be useful to you as well.

In my situation, the EML light would pop on while driving, and when I came to a stop, my traction control light would come on and the car would not be allowed to move beyond 2K rpm - aka limp mode. Eventually a check engine light would follow.

Some information about the EML light from the web:

The "EML" warning light in a BMW indicates a problem with the "drive by wire" throttle control system."

"EML" is an acronym for "Elektronische Motorleistungsregelung". Loosely translated from the original German for the BMW owner means Electrionic Engine Power Control.

"EML" is BMW's system name for electronic throttle management. The "EML" system, in it's most basic sense consists of an accelerator pedal (with an electronic position sensor), a computer module (usu. integrated with the main engine computer), and an EDK (Elektronische Drosselklappe or Electronic throttle valve). The EDK is also known as a "drive by wire" throttle. "EDK" throttles use a computer controlled stepper motor rather than a purely mechanical linkage (usu. metal cable attached directly to the accelerator pedal) to control the opening and closing of the throttle plate.

Anyway - I opted to replace the top throttle position sensor, and figured I'd snap some photos on my cellphone in case it might come in handy for someone out there!

If you have been driving, it's a good idea to let the engine cool down. You'll be working near the oil filter, and it's extremely hot.

First, make sure you have a small socket wrench along with a Phillips head bit that fits the screws. The material the screws are made of are fairly soft, and I encountered a few threads where folks stripped them by using an improper size.

The sensor is roughly 54.50 through pelicanparts.com. There isn't much sense in buying this from the dealership for 100.00. Order it online. The part number is listed in this photo: 13-63-7-840-383

This is where the sensor is located:

Remove these two screws:

Here it is removed:

Push down on this metal clip, and release the sensor:

You'll notice the inside of the sensor has a groove - don't worry about this, when you go to install the new one - you will adjust this to the correct position just by mounting the new sensor and turning it into place. Should take very little pressure.

Here it is all finished up. In my case, it looks like the plastic protective tubing around the wires cracked/wore - so I placed some temporary electrical tape on this until I buy some loom to fix it:

I turned my car on and off a couple of times, and my check engine light reset and now I am not receiving an EML light I hope this helps someone else. The other thread I mentioned has some other useful tips and tricks, so if this doesn't solve your problem - make sure to give them a read.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	6428
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	476411   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	6603
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	476412   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	6389
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	476413   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	6346
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	476414  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	9303
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	476415   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	7096
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	476416   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	9862
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	476417  

Last edited by adr1an; 11-02-2012 at 05:50 AM.
adr1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
2001bimmer330i

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Sorry to post on an old thread but this is a good DIY and easy to follow. I know there are a thousand (and one) threads on Limp Mode, and I have done several of them but not the sensor. I wonder if this has helped others get rid of limp mode, and what code did this fix?
2001bimmer330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #3
itscoo2pyopants

My Ride: E53 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to itscoo2pyopants
Thanks for this post. My EML and dsc light turned on under hard acceleration tonight. Pulled a throttle position sensor code. Sounds like it's going to be an easy fix
Old 05-10-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
itscoo2pyopants

My Ride: E53 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to itscoo2pyopants
E46 M3 TOP TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) Replacement / DIY / EML

Replaced the top sensor, still getting the light under hard acceleration. Is the sensor under the intake manifold the same part as the top sensor? Saving the pedal for last
Old 05-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #5
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr1an View Post
First, make sure you have a small socket wrench along with a Phillips head bit that fits the screws. The material the screws are made of are fairly soft, and I encountered a few threads where folks stripped them by using an improper size.
Good tip -- I stripped the screw using my BMW toolkit screwdriver!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
jdub9

My Ride: 2002 M3 vert SMG
I used this DIY a couple of weeks ago, and found my screwdriver bits were too chewed up and were going to strip the screws. Bought a small rachet set and the whole thing took 15 minutes, 10 of which was me trying to test the old switch with an ohmmeter. Car has been just fine since, and actually is much smoother at low speeds and more responsive in the fun zone. The fault code was PO121 THROTTLE / PEDAL POSITION SENSOR A CIRCUIT RANGE, if that helps anyone, although I thought I saw somewhere that you can get that with the other two TPS locations as well. Finally tested the old TPS last weekend with some more appropriate test leads, and it had an open in the midrange, which would explain why I ended up in limp mode.
jdub9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
jdub9

My Ride: 2002 M3 vert SMG
Oh, and a great DIY (should have said that first), thanks!
jdub9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:45 AM   #8
lakal05x

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
323i throttle position sensor

Hi guys I was wondering a few things can you find the throttle position sensor in a 323i as you can on this m series? Yesterday since my car has been throwing up EML traction control (dsc) and service engine soon light I decided to take matters into my own hands and look for the sensor since I've been reading up, well I got to the throttle body and couldn't find the sensor. Anyone know where it is? Also I've been looking online for the sensor and all I can find is for m series e46 and older BMWs please help guys I need to get it fixed ASAP as it's my only transportation to work.
lakal05x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #9
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
Your TPS are inside the throttle body, you need to get your codes read so you have more information on where to start. Be careful using any M3 DIYs for your car, they are different cars. Once you get codes, post back in a new thread.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #10
lakal05x

Just another quick question thank you for the quick reply too! Do you know where it'd be possible to find a new throttle position sensor I've looked on summit racing on turners and they have for other year cars but not mine. Any ideas?
Old 07-13-2014, 11:44 PM   #11
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

Its a part of the throttle body, not something you can change by itself, throttle bodies are expensive and don't fail often, please post some codes so we know for sure what is going on. If you are referring to the symptoms in this M3 thread you may be off track.

To find parts for your car, the best place to go is realoem, punch in your last digits of your VIN number and it will give you exact part numbers for all parts of your car. Then google those part numbers, some good places for parts are ECS tuning
AutohuazAZ
BMAparts

The link for real oem is:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Be very careful getting parts at autozone or summit etc for BMWs.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #12
lakal05x

Sensor code P0120 throttle/pedal position sensor.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #13
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

Here is some info:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=631647
Old 07-15-2014, 09:35 PM   #14
lakal05x

Thank you ddaniel1 for the link I have tried this concept on my car and I did it every time it went into limp mode and for a while it was working but at this point I'll try and try and as soon as I turn on the car it'll throw up Dsc service engine soon and EML.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:26 PM   #15
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

Ok, what I would do is remove and clean the heck out of the throttle body and idle control valve, including the electrical connector many DIYs on youtube and on here, you don't have a pedal sensor. If that doesn't work I would get a new throttle body on ebay for 200.00 I would not buy a new one.
I also recommend buying the software and cables off of ebay to turn a laptop into a diagnostic machine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Scanner-...item4ad02c7055
You should have a 20 pin round connector on the passenger side up by the firewall, if so you will need another adapter to use this software, well worth it.
I would also start a new thread on here about the 323i P0120, you will get feedback from others that have tackled this problem. We are hijacking this M3 thread.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #16
rfixed15

My Ride: 2003 E46 m3
My first post :)

I just want to say thank you. Your post has helped me a lot and learn, please continue these badass DYI I really appreciate it.
rfixed15 is offline   Reply With Quote