E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #41
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
So, I am gathering that going sideways has nothing (or not as much as we thought)to do with the stock BMW diffs and the way they lock up. The OEM diff and LSD is doing a pretty good job. Conclusion, not fact.

OSG LSD is not even needed to help keep the car straight.
Or maybe the OSG does help, but first it needs a car that has a proper alignment (toe in on the rear) and the OSG should be properly ADJUSTED to do anything well. This remains to be seen. But probably, yes.

Right now, according to OSG North America every single one of their Super Locks that were installed in any HPF car is going to be locking up too fast. The higher the RWHP, the worse the OSG super Lock performs. Fact.

If the out of the box OSG Super Lock is set up for 270 rwhp, then the unit is being overpowered by a factor of two and almost three times depending on what the HPF car is putting to the ground. Fact

So, we dont really even know how well the OSG works until someone sends it back and gets it properly tuned...to lock up MUCH slower. Conclusion.

I do believe that a lot of cars end up slewing sideways violently under acceleration. So do you guys think every single case is due to alignment alone? Well, worn or maybe even soft stock RTABS may contribute too. I can see that. Dont forget tire compound. Conclusion.

So, Jake should pursue several avenues FIRST before he even considering an OSG Super Lock. Get a really accurate alignment, install stiff RTABS. Poly MAY be good enough....delrin is pretty rough. IDK. A tire compound assessment should also be on his list. Conclusion.

It is very possible that the OSG is NOT needed to keep our cars straight. That is a function of the above mentioned factors.

It is not beyond the realm of possibility that a WELL TUNED Super Lock is going to AID straight line grip. The super lock may well benefit the HPDE user better than the drag racer or street driver. Is that fair to say? its a conclusion, not fact.

And last, an out of the box OSG Super Lock installed in a very high HP HPF car may well HARM the performance by locking up way too fast. I think that is fair to say. Fact..maybe..Probably.

ANy new buyers of the Super Lock should darn well be having the NA facility adjust the lock up BEFORE it ships. Or maybe HPF might invest in some Spec X High Horsepower models. You get a pre tuned LSD and what ever fancy laser logo to boot.

So really we dont even know the full potential of these units until somebody runs a TUNED OSG Super Lock. Conclusion.

It is also possible that a well tuned OSG Super Lock up may well compensate for faulty alignment and soft RTABS. We have nothing to corroborate this because everybody's HPF OSG is not tuned properly..yet.

So pay attention to your rear alignment, RTABS, and tire compound no matter whose LSD you are running. make sure the LSD you have is properly tuned if that is an option.

Last edited by Bdave; 11-07-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #42
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
I just found a pic of bdave after I read this entire thread.

815whp @ 625wtq 27psi E98

dallasberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #43
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Lol...I don't even read these page long posts anymore
Old 11-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #44
FragNasty

My Ride: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasberry View Post
I just found a pic of bdave after I read this entire thread.

What do they say? A picture is worth a thousand words?

What's an animated gif worth? I'd say it depends on the image. Cute pic.

If you are the owner of a OS Giken LSD or considering any LSD, this information is golden. I'd say he posted two animated gifs worth of info that pretty much summarizes the "full circle" of the issue (except that consideration of...). Information like this is better than sliced bread.

If you don't have LSD or don't know what it is: they sell it on little bits of dense paper... muahahaha

Ok idiotic joke. I didn't even laugh.
FragNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #45
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
OSG is very much on board to come up with a good all around tune for their Super Lock that will work much better with the vastly larger HP and TQ of the HPF cars.

Hi Dave,

Yes, Mark and I were talking about this last night, so its good to know that we are both
on the same page. All the HPF setups have immense power, so it makes total sense that
people would experience too much lock, especially when equipping street tires. I will
continue to let Mark spearhead this project so that it keeps things simple.

Thanks,
Bernard

Toyota Tsusho America
1977 W. 190th St. Suite #200
Torrance, CA 90504
PH: 310.243.1348
FX: 310.516.0858

It is absolutely heart warming to feel all the love for my efforts to help improve a product for our cars. Thanks, guys.

Last edited by Bdave; 11-07-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #46
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
BDave, I love your passion for these cars, and your willingness to contribute to the forum, but you should try to summarize, and or bullet your points. It would make it easier for most of us to participate in conversations with you. Its hard to read 4-5 paragraph posts, over and over when most of us forum goers only have time for touch n' go.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #47
SlideFox

My Ride: A Bucket w/ 4-Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
BDave, I love your passion for these cars, and your willingness to contribute to the forum, but you should try to summarize, and or bullet your points. It would make it easier for most of us to participate in conversations with you. Its hard to read 4-5 paragraph posts, over and over when most of us forum goers only have time for touch n' go.
Bdave's posts are at least 4-5 thumb flips on my iPhone! Exhausting!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #48
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideFox View Post
^ This...scrolling by the acclaimed "Bdave" posts is exhausting...its almost a form of trolling.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #49
M5chas

My Ride: e90 m3 + cornfed gtr
I love Bdave's posts. He semi-reminds me of my 10 year old son who talks and talks and talks and talks and half the time I don't really listen, but you know what... in like 3 years he isn't going to give a **** about talking to his Dad and at that point I will really miss listening to all that **** he spews to me now.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #50
AirFrcd

My Ride: Mfizzle, and GT-R
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideFox View Post
I'm developing what's known as "Carpal Thumbitis"
Philippians 4:13

AirFrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #51
MisterM

My Ride: 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5chas View Post
I love Bdave's posts. He semi-reminds me of my 10 year old son who talks and talks and talks and talks and half the time I don't really listen, but you know what... in like 3 years he isn't going to give a **** about talking to his Dad and at that point I will really miss listening to all that **** he spews to me now.
Amen. Quoted for truth. I will have a few seconds more patience with my son tonight thanks to your logic M5chas.

The M-Variable lock is an excellent LSD from the factory, albeit not intended for cars sporting the HPF 700 rwhp club sticker. I would think addressing spring rates, alignment settings, tires/pressure, and suspension bushings would yield better results for the high HP cars looking to track straight.

Last edited by MisterM; 11-08-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: fat thumbs for a phone
MisterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #52
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
I run a 2.5 and the OSG and have NT05 275 19s when the car spins it goes straight as an arrow, if I'm in a straight line and the wheel is straight. (Only minor corrections to input r needed in 2nd thru 3 .) If there is any angel at all the car SNAPS sideways and u need to steer with wheel and throttle. ( I love that part, raise the hair on the back of ur neck) Takes experience and a skid pad with water is the best way to learn

I've been very impressed with the traction and how the car tracks when spinning and keeping ur foot in it

Last edited by being3; 11-09-2012 at 10:26 AM.
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote