E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
323tom

My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
Need suggestions what Clutch to handle 1100+ WHP

Hey guys so what clutch would be able to handle 1100 whp+/900+ wtrq, my car should be at these levels soon enough once SP gets some time to build me a tubular mani and up the NOS shot to 200 HP

Which means I doubt the STG 3 HPF clutch will be able to handle up to these power levels... I have talked with a few vendors and they believe even the Tilton may not handle these power levels? At this point the price is irrelevant I just want a clutch that will handle the power

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
Hey guys so what clutch would be able to handle 1100 whp+/900+ wtrq, my car should be at these levels soon enough once SP gets some time to build me a tubular mani and up the NOS shot to 200 HP

Which means I doubt the STG 3 HPF clutch will be able to handle up to these power levels... I have talked with a few vendors and they believe even the Tilton may not handle these power levels? At this point the price is irrelevant I just want a clutch that will handle the power
Noone has made that power and pushed it for extended periods of time, so anyones guess is just that.. A guess.

I've had no issues with my os giken triple, and a tilton triple carbon should have no problems either. I think os giken (or tilton) also makes a quad.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
323tom

I spoke with a rep at os giken and be said the rc4 was tested on a guys car in Sweden but did not fit and that's what alot of the supra guys use with high hp... He said the rc3 would only be good for 1000ish... So pretty much same as my current stg 3 hpf clutch...
Old 11-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
sniperm

My Ride: maxima
Dont they have like special carbon clutches ? $6K and up? for this kinda power..

What do supra guys use?

04' LSB
sniperm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
mkodama

Why not first make that power, and then see if your current clutch actually slips?

Wait, but then you couldn't brag about numbers.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
I thought HPF's Master clutch "Bronze" was up to that task. Have you thought of asking them? They are oddly absent from this thread. They have plans for cars at that beyond 1000 HP and I am pretty sue they have a clutch lined up.

Last edited by Bdave; 11-03-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
I thought HPF's Master clutch "Bronze" was up to that task. Have you thought of asking them? They are oddly absent from this thread. They have plans for cars at that beyond 1000 HP and I am pretty sue they have a clutch lined up.
Lol what inside connection do you have? Southbend makes the clutches for HPF...w/e you want southbend will build.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #8
Fimpen

My Ride: Bmw 335D Coupe -07
Maybe have a chat with this guy: http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=908129

Think he is around 1100hp now. If I remember right he mentioned what clutch he use in that thread.
Fimpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
323tom

Ya the Tilton but apparently that may not even hold up the power goals I am looking for
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperm View Post
Dont they have like special carbon clutches ? $6K and up? for this kinda power..

What do supra guys use?
Lol. That can cause more damage then good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Why not first make that power, and then see if your current clutch actually slips?

Wait, but then you couldn't brag about numbers.
Ya I spoke with HPF Chris and he believe the new STG 3 clutch with the riveted design probably wont handle much more than 1000-1100whp..Is this the "Bronze" clutch you speak of? Also HPF uses a dynojet so all there numbers read higher vs a mustang dyno like SP uses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
Maybe I should give Southbend a call
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Lol what inside connection do you have? Southbend makes the clutches for HPF...w/e you want southbend will build.
I have not spoken with him but I read he is looking for a new clutch setup as well, maybe I will PM him and see if he has found any solutions... I believe he currently uses the OS giken RC3 if im not mistaken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fimpen View Post
Maybe have a chat with this guy: http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=908129

Think he is around 1100hp now. If I remember right he mentioned what clutch he use in that thread.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
Bdave

No, Tom. I knew I read about it somewhere. Talk to HPF about the Clutch Masters (not master Clutch) FX850 twin BRONZE("bronze bronze") set up.'Its what Pat got instead of a Stage 3 feramic. Tom, if HPF did not tell you about this, then it most likely is not strong enough. I just thought it might be.
I know Chris recently posted his desire to get HPF up closer to the big boys with 1200 and maybe more RWHP. That is one of the reasons for bringing John Reed on board. So, they (HPF) darn well better have a clutch lined up.

HPF Erik wrote:
"More than meets the eye here. The clutch had done so much damage to the flywheel that it was unusable. Originally we were going to use an HPF stage 3 but between the cost of a new OEM flywheel and a HPF stage 3 clutch it was more cost effective to go this route. The CM twin is something that we have used on a couple cars now and have made a few tweaks too it. instead of the FX700 we are using an FX850 "bronze bronze" setup. It has very manageable engagement and is incredibly durable. Pat you should be happy with this setup."

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...masters&page=3

If not, then most definitely I would be calling South Bend. Give them as much info as possible and they will most likely be able to BUILD you what you need.
South Bend is awesome.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #11
323tom

Thx for the post Dave, I spoke with Chris about the FX850 and it seems like that clutch will not hold up... I will call south bend on monday and we will see what they have to say
Old 11-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
Thx for the post Dave, I spoke with Chris about the FX850 and it seems like that clutch will not hold up... I will call south bend on monday and we will see what they have to say
Ah. So, I wonder where the FX850 stands in all this. It is very expensive. A good bit more expensive than the Stage 3, a dual disc, etc.
I am thinking it must be stronger than the Stage 3. Just curious. This doesn't help your cause.

Dimes to dollars South Bend will get you hooked up with something incredible. Maybe YOU will be getting what will be the future HPF Stage FOUR clutch. LOL.
But seriously. That may end up being the case.

Just make sure you let them know HOW your power is made. The hard NOS hit (all that extra power instantaneously) may make a difference when they design a clutch for you.

Good luck! You still have all sorts of things to iron out. But they all have solutions, I am sure. Do you plan on trying for any records like 1/4 mile, mile, 60-130? You will eventually be perfectly set up to do so.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
That's quite a bit of torque. You definitely will need a dual or triple disk and most likely a carbon material. Carbon clutches suck for launching and especially daily driving but they hold a lot more power. Or you could do an auto

Chris.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 11-04-2012 at 02:29 PM.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #14
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
I originally ordered a triple carbon from tilton but the carbon disks were back ordered for months, so I switched to the so giken rc3. It's a great clutch and I have no issues driving it. Their customer support is fantastic as well! Are you dragging the car Tom? If not the rc3 should be just fine.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #15
323tom

I plan to drag it here and there definetely not every weekend but I already spoke with a rep from os giken he said the rc3 you have will not handle the hp/try goals I am looking at, maybe I will try the Tilton triple carbon, I'm in no rush my car is at SP for the cold season...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
I originally ordered a triple carbon from tilton but the carbon disks were back ordered for months, so I switched to the so giken rc3. It's a great clutch and I have no issues driving it. Their customer support is fantastic as well! Are you dragging the car Tom? If not the rc3 should be just fine.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #16
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
I ran the OS Giken triple disk as well and it had no problem holding the power. Although it wasn't 900ft-lbs. ha ha. But it may hold that much.

Chris.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #17
Bdave

Kind of sux that there is no street friendly solution in a manual type clutch when you get not that far over 1000 HP. Or is it the 900 ft lbs of torque figure?

What do all the 1500 HP lambos, Ford GT's and Nissan GTR's use? Arent they at least 900ft lbs of TQ?
The Tilton triple carbon is like a gazillion dollars too!

I am a little surprised OSG didnt step up to the challenge.

Last edited by Bdave; 11-04-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #18
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
If southbend can make clutches that hold 1500ft lbs of torque on diesel engines...I think they may have some options for you
Old 11-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #19
323tom

Like I said before I spoke with a rep at OSG and he confirmed the rc3 will not hold up to these power levels he said 1000ish whp is its limit, he said someone in Europe already had a custom made rc4 which is what alot of high hp supra guys use and the clutch did not fit... So OSG is pretty much out of the question
Old 11-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #20
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
If southbend can make clutches that hold 1500ft lbs of torque on diesel engines...I think they may have some options for you
Take that number and times it by three.......

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App