E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Nico16

My Ride: 2000 323i
Any Advice before doing my ccv/pcv tomorrow!

:d
Nico16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Yes. Buy band-aids.

I would also remove the alternator. While it's out, I would pull the voltage regulator and inspect that (it likely needs to be replace, anyway--if applicable)
Also I'd clean and re-seal the TB, DISA, ICV, and clean the maf. Since the belts are off, I'd recommend replacing those too as well as the tensioner pulleys (all available at your local auto parts store, most likely)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
You do NOT have to or do you need to remove the alternator for this job. If you're asking for advice, I'll assume that you are new to wrenching on your e46. Don't jump into too much at one time, You'll need to remove the intake box/elbows, I also removed the throttlebody and loosened/disconnected a few plugs on the wiring harness "box" under the intake manifold. I also removed the cabin filter housing to get more access. It's not that complicated a job, but can be frustrating.
Tip: There is a hose that bends up through the front of the manifold, install on the main piece first and then feed up while attached, I had a hard time connecting it under the manifold.
Brinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Take your time, you WILL bleed I GUARANTEE IT, make sure to reconnect all connectors and label them, make sure to install the throttle body, icv and intake boots properly.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Mango
A full five stars, son

yes especially the throttle body boot. the boot has a tab on it and can only face ONE direction. feel with your fingers where the tab should go.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkley View Post
You do NOT have to or do you need to remove the alternator for this job. If you're asking for advice, I'll assume that you are new to wrenching on your e46. Don't jump into too much at one time, You'll need to remove the intake box/elbows, I also removed the throttlebody and loosened/disconnected a few plugs on the wiring harness "box" under the intake manifold. I also removed the cabin filter housing to get more access. It's not that complicated a job, but can be frustrating.
Tip: There is a hose that bends up through the front of the manifold, install on the main piece first and then feed up while attached, I had a hard time connecting it under the manifold.
I've done this job at least 12 times this year. Trust me, removing the alternator makes things a lot easier. You will bleed... it just allows you to bleed less. You can do things the easy way or you can cause yourself more headache and blood (and time) and just take a few minutes to remove the alternator.

OP take it from us. We've bled from this. Between Jake and I, we have 9 stars. That should be enough stars! Good luck!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 11-02-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Nico16

Wow! Thanks for the advice! I already clean my TB and ICV, and i was supposed to the OS but i got lazy, so im doing it tomorrow, thanks guys
Old 11-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Mcbridges11

My Ride: 03 325i, 03 540i
Ccv

take your time!!! its a bit** of a job but it can be done in a few hours- the real bugger is getting the tubing reconected. Bav auto has a nice video on how to do this- see link below- if you have any questions or reach a snag just message or PM me - I always have my phone on me and E46fanatics is always running

http://blog.bavauto.com/8003/diy-vid...lation-system/

^^ def watch this at lease once- "otto" has some great pointers!
Mcbridges11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
tystager93

My Ride: 2003 325XI
Basically the same as the video but this is very useful also. I did not pull out the alternator but I can see how it would help, there is very little room to work. It is quite interesting trying to put the new pipes in, BMW definitely made it a bit difficult.

I would print this out and just go step by step.

http://blog.bavauto.com/5434/bmw-m54...30i-525i-530i/
tystager93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Oil the o-rings for everything that connects to the actual CCV. You'll have to connect them blindly and (at least on the one I did) the seal is incredibly tight. The combination of doing it blindly and the tight seals mean its incredibly difficult. That part alone took me quite a while. Watch the BavAuto DIYs a couple times. It's good when it comes to the basics of the job.

Oh and remove your throttle body and clean it while you're in there. Make sure you change the throttle body o-ring if you take it out.

Luckily my car doesn't have a CCV like the M54 Mine is similar to the ///M.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico16 View Post
Wow! Thanks for the advice! I already clean my TB and ICV, and i was supposed to the OS but i got lazy, so im doing it tomorrow, thanks guys
I did my CCV and TB and ICV for the first time last summer and took my time and never rushed any step. Not that overwhelming as the legend tells it. No cuts, nothing broken, parts all fit well and had no cuts as a result. Engine started first time after and never looked back!

Really helps get the car to a better height if you do the job with the car up on ramps. Ignore at your own back ache peril!

Never removed the alternator and it did not get in the way.

Lubed all the O-rings with silicone O-ring lube.

Last edited by Stinger9; 11-02-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Nico16

Yeah, and i have the the cable tb, so its gonna be different but i did a research how to remove it,
Old 11-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
Nico16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
I did my CCV and TB and ICV for the first time last summer and took my time and never rushed any step. Not that overwhelming as the legend tells it. No cuts, nothing broken, parts all fit well and had no cuts as a result. Engine started first time after and never looked back!

Really helps get the car to a better height if you do the job with the car up on ramps. Ignore at your own back ache peril!

My back hurts too, after cleaning the TB and ICV, its pain in the back
Old 11-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
zwei e46

My Ride: '99 323i & '05 325xi
I've read here where a few people got hung up with the throttle body electrical connection (myself included when I did my ccv). Maybe your familiar with it, but if not ... http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/04/35/75. You got some great advice OP, you'll be fine
zwei e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
tystager93

My Ride: 2003 325XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post

+1 comfort is the key, also a good pair of shoes will do your back wonders.

I would unbolt the under trays first as you will most likely drop at least 1 bolt or socket, and they are no fun to pick off the tray from the engine compartment.
tystager93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #16
Nico16

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith323 View Post
I've read here where a few people got hung up with the throttle body electrical connection (myself included when I did my ccv). Maybe your familiar with it, but if not ... http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/04/35/75. You got some great advice OP, you'll be fine
Question, i dont have the equipment reset the adaptation of the TB, do i really need to do it?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #17
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I didn't do any reset of the TB...don't think your tb needs it...if it's a cable like mine. I didn't remove tb for ccv though, not as I recall. Did I?

Also, I didn't bleed, but maybe I did it the wrong way! Next time, I'll be sure to bleed!

My tip would be to have magnetic bit for the ccv screws...or use dumdum/window weld or grease to hold that one screw on the left of valve.

Also, practice assembling vent hose to valve before trying to connect them behind the intake mani.

Not too bad a job at all. Oh, 6 o-rings for the intake air runner too (probably good idea) and for the guide tube (sure you know about that).

GL!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #18
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico16 View Post
Question, i dont have the equipment reset the adaptation of the TB, do i really need to do it?
Some say moving the throttle plate disturbs the setting and requires you to recode. Best to not pry this play any more than absolutely necessary. Clean from both sides with spray and gently wipe black away.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #19
Nico16

Hey guys, it's done. Thanks for all the advice, after 7 hours of pain plus adjusting the throttle cable, I'm idling at 2000rpm. The good part is I fixed it.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #20
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
2000?
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote