E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
widebody350

My Ride: 350Z
M3 FI owners, regret it?

A friend of mine who has an E46 M3 and I were talking the other day about going FI with the M3, specifically HPF. With HPF you are getting a lot of power, but at a high rather high cost. I have been lurking(posting occasionally) for a couple of years so I know this cost is because you get a high quality kit, made by a quality company that will stand behind their product. Do you HPF, big build s/c, or custom turbo guys regret spending so much boosting the E46 when the E9x M3s, M6s, Porsche 996 Turbos, GTRs, various AMGs, and some muscle cars are available at relatively reasonable price points, some offering better overall quality and performance potential? How do you guys feel your cars compare to some of the aforementioned models? How have some of these cars been doing in terms of re-sale?

Please understand I am not knocking HPF, or anyones decisions to build an E46 M3, I am only trying to get an understanding of how the owners of these bigger builds feel. Thank you for your input.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by widebody350 View Post
A friend of mine who has an E46 M3 and I were talking the other day about going FI with the M3, specifically HPF. With HPF you are getting a lot of power, but at a high rather high cost. I have been lurking(posting occasionally) for a couple of years so I know this cost is because you get a high quality kit, made by a quality company that will stand behind their product. Do you HPF, big build s/c, or custom turbo guys regret spending so much boosting the E46 when the E9x M3s, M6s, Porsche 996 Turbos, GTRs, various AMGs, and some muscle cars are available at relatively reasonable price points, some offering better overall quality and performance potential? How do you guys feel your cars compare to some of the aforementioned models? How have some of these cars been doing in terms of re-sale?

Please understand I am not knocking HPF, or anyones decisions to build an E46 M3, I am only trying to get an understanding of how the owners of these bigger builds feel. Thank you for your input.

But seriously you'd better love the car if you're going to head down the big power path because the majority of mods have very little resale value. Keep in mind you're working with a 3.2L straight six (a great one, but still).. you want easy power, easy performance and a simple install.. go buy a Corvette.. its hard to argue with how simple it is to make power on those cars and how stout the motors are.. I personally am not a fan of the cars and love taking the difficult route.. but thats a personal preference and I think you'll find that most here will be biased, obviously.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Ky///m3

My Ride: 1988 E30 M3
Dammit. I was just about to post that gif

2006 E46 M3 HPF stg II SOLD
1988 E30 M3 Touring Class
1995 E36 M3 I-Prepared Class
Ky///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
Worst decision ever.

Not Srs...
Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
No regrets other than expensive...its been a great learning experience on what I want out of my car.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
No regrets other than expensive...its been a great learning experience on what I want out of my car.
I think Kenton nails it on the head here. To some the experience is worth the cost when its all said and done. You really need to take your car to its furthest levels to learn what you like/don't like.. and to each his own as well.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
Lsx ftw!
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
SexiPYm3

My Ride: 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by widebody350 View Post

Just curious as I wonder... Are any of those German cars able to get to 700whp for a cheaper overall cost? (car and parts included)
SexiPYm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
widebody350

My Ride: 350Z
The E9X M3 and M6 both hit 700 crank for about $15k s/c kits + install and run mid tens. I also forgot to mention the 335, which sees 700ish wheel for around $10k installed.

The 996 turbo will make 670whp on pump for $18k installed at Switzer and can do it much cheaper on race gas.

The 63AMGs are seeing around 700whp on Weistec Stage II SCs and are around $20k or so. I can't really find final pricing. The SL/CL/S 65s can get 800hp which is about 700whp for $15k. The old 55AMG S/C motors get around the 700whp mark pretty reasonably as well.

I understand that some of these packages are similar in price and performance to the E46 M3, however these cars are newer and/or more expensive platforms (Porsche 996 Turbo, 65AMG cars). Newer cars tend to have more expensive parts because of R&D costs, and the more expensive cars tend to have a tax, in addition to the R&D costs and to account for the lower volume sales. When you are spending so much on an older platform, likely much more than the car is worth, it starts to not make as much sense (as if there is any sense to modding) as opposed to putting $15/20k in a $60k car. Also, some of these cars, although down on power are achieving very similar performance to the HPF M3s so rather than looking at power alone, look at performance.

The value of the car to cost of mods ratio, performance achieved and just being newer are reasons why I asked the question. The Supra is probably one of the only cars that is an exception to mods, where cars still command top dollar and sellers do see some return on quality mods. I was also wondering if these HPF/quality built M3s see similar returns and consideration from buyers.

Also, I am not a fan of Corvettes and when I said muscle cars I was thinking GT500 and ZL1 as competitors to well built M3s. It's obviously not all about power which is why my thread isn't asking if you guys regret not getting a Fox body Mustang and putting down 1200whp for $15k including the car. I really am just wondering how you guys feel the cars stack up with newer cars on a similar level of quality/performance an if you regret not starting with one of these newer and/or other platforms.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Pick a body style, the rest is just money. Some people love the e46.

Last edited by xixixi; 11-03-2012 at 06:16 PM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #11
Cipri

My Ride: E46 M3 2002
Buy a GTR, that's what I would do if needed to start again.
Cipri is online now   Reply With Quote