E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
jjp735i

My Ride: 05 545i & 03 325xi
05 325xi

How much would you play for this car. I went and checked it out, but haven't driven it yet. It is as clean as it looks inside and out. In fact it looks brand new. Has a clearbra so the front has 0 chips. I think the price is a bit high myself. My brother works for this dealership, but different lot. He is looking into what I can get it for.

I already have a 05 545i, but would like to trade my 05 Scion tc in and get this as my daily driver.

Thanks, jjp

http://www.baierl.com/all-inventory/...rue&quick=true_a_
jjp735i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
$13,000 for the car, add another $1,000 for taxes means it's minimally a $14,000 car with 100,000 miles, and been driven on salted roads for 8 years so every nut and bolt is rusted on good and tight under the car; the car is right that point of needing replacement of some major items like the cooling system, a fuel pump, and at $140 per hr shop labor cost at a Dealer, I'd guess that would be a $3,000.00 bill. If it needs brakes on all corners, another $1000.00, and tires, add $750.00. That $13,000 dollar car is beginning to look like close to a $19,000 dollar car to me. I think the answer to the OP's question is very obvious.

Last edited by lucky_doggg7; 10-28-2012 at 10:44 AM.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Wow, "lucky" paints a dark projection. The OP undoubtedly is aware that ANY blind purchase of ANY car may go well or become a money pit. The mileage is not that bad and the price has room for negotiation. Without a proper inspection and without knowing there may be a documented service history, we are simply guessing at imaginary horrible's that may go wrong. No one on this forum can give you future invoice predictions. The buyer should anticipate some unknowns will rear up and have a budget to manage them.

Research and be an informed not emotional buyer. The car may be a slow mover on a non-euro lot ... beat 'em to death and act like you're losing interest. Steal that thing and drive her like a stolen bicycle!

Edit: I'd think 12K out the door would be fair at that size dealer.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 10-28-2012 at 04:17 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
jjp735i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_doggg7 View Post
$13,000 for the car, add another $1,000 for taxes means it's minimally a $14,000 car with 100,000 miles, and been driven on salted roads for 8 years so every nut and bolt is rusted on good and tight under the car; the car is right that point of needing replacement of some major items like the cooling system, a fuel pump, and at $140 per hr shop labor cost at a Dealer, I'd guess that would be a $3,000.00 bill. If it needs brakes on all corners, another $1000.00, and tires, add $750.00. That $13,000 dollar car is beginning to look like close to a $19,000 dollar car to me. I think the answer to the OP's question is very obvious.

This will be my 4th BMW if I buy and I have to disagree with just because it's been on salty roads doesn't mean it's bad underneath. My 88 735i which lived in Pittsburgh all it's life was very clean underneath. It all depends who owned it before and if they kept care of the underneath. I appreciate your opinions, but you are assume a bit much. It doesn't need tires or brakes, belts were done about 10000 miles ago.

But back to my point, every BMW I've owned has been trouble free, maybe I'm lucky or maybe I had previous owners that took care of them and didn't beat them, like a lot of people do. As for getting bolts and nuts off, doing plenty of my own work I have found BMW's usually are very easy and the bolts don't rust on like most American cars.

I may not no a lot about the E46, but I've worked on 76 530i and my 88 735i and now have a 05 545i and find they are still made very very well.

You sound very negative about BMW's like tons of people on these boards. They are high maintenance cars, anyone that has owned one will know that, it's just part of owning one.

A high millage BMW doesn't have to be a nightmare if you do your homework and check it out really well.

Just my two cents,
Old 10-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
Just hold the door right there, in my post, list one negative word that was used. List the exact word of words, please. It is you kind reader that has the "glass half empty" view, and as such have viewed my post in a negative light. Truth can be viewed as a negative thing because sometimes it's not what we want to hear but is. When it comes to a high mileage used car, optimism can mean a clouded judgement, but a bit of pessimism will bring preparedness because now you're looking for ways to prevent yourself from becoming hurt monetarily.

In any case, any reader who does not like the truth in any matter let's say, PM me, and I'll gladly sell anyone rose colored glasses, but for those who like the hard facts straight up and down, well then, let's get on with it then.

Last thing, since we're in rose colored glasses mode, let's all buy some mortgage backed securities that have been given a Moody's thumbs up rating and we'll make a killing. That's right in there with Glass-Stegal getting repealed because we need to modernize the way we allow banks to do business because the old way was cumbersome and too regulated. That was a great idea by a conservative congress but truth be told, what happened afterwards... Anyone who likes a tiny stock market crash from 14,000 to 6,500, please raise your hands. Get the point? Truth is great ain't it?

Last edited by lucky_doggg7; 10-29-2012 at 07:22 AM.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
jjp735i

325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_doggg7 View Post
Just hold the door right there, in my post, list one negative word that was used. List the exact word of words, please. It is you kind reader that has the "glass half empty" view, and as such have viewed my post in a negative light. Truth can be viewed as a negative thing because sometimes it's not what we want to hear but is. When it comes to a high mileage used car, optimism can mean a clouded judgement, but a bit of pessimism will bring preparedness because now you're looking for ways to prevent yourself from becoming hurt monetarily.

In any case, any reader who does not like the truth in any matter let's say, PM me, and I'll gladly sell anyone rose colored glasses, but for those who like the hard facts straight up and down, well then, let's get on with it then.

Last thing, since we're in rose colored glasses mode, let's all buy some mortgage backed securities that have been given a Moody's thumbs up rating and we'll make a killing. That's right in there with Glass-Stegal getting repealed because we need to modernize the way we allow banks to do business because the old way was cumbersome and too regulated. That was a great idea by a conservative congress but truth be told, what happened afterwards... Anyone who likes a tiny stock market crash from 14,000 to 6,500, please raise your hands. Get the point? Truth is great ain't it?
Sorry Lucky, I really didn't want to start a fight, your post just sounded a bit negative to me. There are many BMW that won't need any of the major repairs until they are well past 100,000 miles. Tires, brakes and such are are normal wear and tear items. Even the other poster starts by saying WOW you paint a dark projection so it wasn't just me. I like the straight facts, which you provided, but sorry, you did it in a very negative way. Almost like you have had bad luck with your BMW. Sorry, but I've had 3 BMWs and ownership has been nothing but great. Yes I've sunk some money into them, but knock on wood, nothing ever major has failed. As in all used cars you can never be totally sure nothing is going to brake down, you can only have it checked over by someone and keep your fingers crossed.

To point out there isn't one positive word in your post, like great car to drive, fun, many go for 100,000 miles without major parts failing. To me anyone posting on this board and many others knows BMW's and how they can run forever with little maintenance or can become a money pit.

We should not fight, we are all here to get knowledge on ownership of to me, one of the best cars ever built.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
thesamurair

My Ride: 325xi
Its overpriced.
thesamurair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Ok so here's my 2 cents in this. It appears to be a decent car and I'm not discounting the possibility that it is or isn't. My thoughts:

- There's a sticker on the tailgate, this is a big sign that the previous owner didn't GAF about the car.
- It has no premium package, therefore fake leather seats. May or may not matter to you but whatever.
- It's overpriced. The KBB value of the car is spot on for retail in "excellent" condition. We all know that this isn't truely the case though as it will need quite a bit of work to get it to be a reliable daily driver.
- Based on my internet evaluation and knowing that I would easily have to dump ~$1000 into this car no matter what, I would offer $9500.
- The above offer could change based on the availability of maintenance records and actual condition of the car. You know all the things to check so check them all.

Good luck.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
White_Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
- There's a sticker on the tailgate, this is a big sign that the previous owner didn't GAF about the car.
Wait... Are you talking about that raised logo thing next to the plate? It could be a cool, chrome deal the nice lady customized her car with that she cares to near obsessive levels about?

Sorry, not going with a sticker being bad Mo-Jo when walking around a clean car.

The OP probably left the party anyway and is eyeing a Prius.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
For that much money you could get a 6speed 330xi with sport seats, better wheels, xenons, with lower miles, and be happy.

Since you already have a 5series with a V8 it doesn't make sense to buy another BM. I'd take a hike to the honda dealer and get an accord.
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:42 AM   #11
jjp735i

bmw

I have to agree with everyone that the price is to high. I have been dealing with them over the last few days and have gotten them down to $10.700, which is still to high to me, My goal on this car is $9700.00 which i think it fair.

As for already owning a 05 545i and getting a Honda, I would rather keep my Scion Tc then buy an overpriced Honda. Based on everything I've read here and other forums the 325xi isn't that bad in gas and I should average around 25mpg. Don't need speed, got that with the 545i. I just want another BMW as a daily driver because I just like driving them over other cars and my 545i is my baby and want to keep the miles low on it. I also want a automatic, I'm just tried of driving manuals, that is all I've had all my life.

The plan so far is I have a meeting with them today to check the car out and test drive. If it doesn't end up were I want the search will continue. I'm in no hurry to buy so I see that as giving me the upper hand in making a deal.

On a side note, that stupid car emblem on the back is from the original dealer and will have to go, I never understood people that let dealers stick there names on cars. You want your name on my car you better pay me monthly to advertise. Even worse when there raised emblems like this one.

Thank you all for the help, will keep you posted on my search.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:57 AM   #12
jjp735i

Well I went and test drove it and wasn't pleased at all. Not sure if it was because it was a 3 series or maybe just because it was a xi. Maybe some of you can shed some light. It felt very underpowered and not smooth like my 5 and 7 series. I know I can't compare a 325 to my 545 for power and speed, but I really thought it would be faster. It seemed like I had to give it a good bit of throttle to get some power out of it. Is it just because it was a 325xi. I'm hoping, because I like the style and size and would like to keep looking. Maybe as someone posted I should look for a 330.

It also had a good bit of engine noise, didn't sound bad, just really could hear the engine. Is this also a 325xi thing or was it just this car. I think I'm going to rule out the xi and just go with a 325i or 330i.

What are you thoughts.
Thanks, jjp

Last edited by jjp735i; 10-31-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
latitude39

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp735i View Post
Well I went and test drove it and wasn't pleased at all. Not sure if it was because it was a 3 series or maybe just because it was a xi. Maybe some of you can shed some light. It felt very underpowered and not smooth ... It seemed like I had to give it a good bit of throttle to get some power out of it. Is it just because it was a 325xi. ...

It also had a good bit of engine noise, didn't sound bad, just really could hear the engine. Is this also a 325xi thing or was it just this car. I think I'm going to rule out the xi and just go with a 325i or 330i.

What are you thoughts.
Thanks, jjp
I have a 325xi, auto and love it. It doesn't have the power of the 330 but it is not underpowered, IMO. It pulls well up the hills. Not "fast" but it drives wonderfully and does *not* feel like AWD. I have no excessive engine noise, just the nice purr of a good-performing little 2.5. In fact, it runs quietly. Good gas mileage too: 23 city/30+ hwy.

Go drive another 325xi or 330xi (if you must have more power). The 325xi is definately *smooth* and the automatic shifts very nicely. Mine has 137k miles and I still love driving it. It's 220lbs heavier than the "i" but it does well on icy, snow-packed roads.

Maybe this one hasn't been kept up.

Good luck.

Last edited by latitude39; 10-31-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: sentence correction
latitude39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Ok so here's my 2 cents in this. It appears to be a decent car and I'm not discounting the possibility that it is or isn't. My thoughts:

- It has no premium package, therefore fake leather seats. May or may not matter to you but whatever.
- It's overpriced. The KBB value of the car is spot on for retail in "excellent" condition. We all know that this isn't truely the case though as it will need quite a bit of work to get it to be a reliable daily driver.
- Based on my internet evaluation and knowing that I would easily have to dump ~$1000 into this car no matter what, I would offer $9500.
- The above offer could change based on the availability of maintenance records and actual condition of the car. You know all the things to check so check them all.

Good luck.
Not true regarding leather. I have leather sports seats without the premium package.
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:28 PM   #15
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 2 View Post
Not true regarding leather. I have leather sports seats without the premium package.
I realize it was an option to get real leather without the premium package but it was rare. Whatever the case is, this car for sure has leatherette. You can easily tell by the seats.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #16
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
Wait... Are you talking about that raised logo thing next to the plate? It could be a cool, chrome deal the nice lady customized her car with that she cares to near obsessive levels about?

Sorry, not going with a sticker being bad Mo-Jo when walking around a clean car.

The OP probably left the party anyway and is eyeing a Prius.
Out of everyone I know with stickers on their car, none of them give two shits about the condition of their car. I would for sure be skeptical of any car with bumper stickers on it.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 10-31-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:15 AM   #17
jjp735i

test drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by latitude39 View Post
I have a 325xi, auto and love it. It doesn't have the power of the 330 but it is not underpowered, IMO. It pulls well up the hills. Not "fast" but it drives wonderfully and does *not* feel like AWD. I have no excessive engine noise, just the nice purr of a good-performing little 2.5. In fact, it runs quietly. Good gas mileage too: 23 city/30+ hwy.

Go drive another 325xi or 330xi (if you must have more power). The 325xi is definately *smooth* and the automatic shifts very nicely. Mine has 137k miles and I still love driving it. It's 220lbs heavier than the "i" but it does well on icy, snow-packed roads.

Maybe this one hasn't been kept up.

Good luck.
Thank you for the information. I'm still looking so I will drive another one. I like the idea of having awd for the winter. I wasn't looking for speed, just smooth running. I think you may have nailed it saying this one just wasn't taken care off.

At least I'm in no hurry to get a car so the search continues.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
LMAO at your test drive .
Its a 3500 pound car with a saggy old suspension, AT, AWD, and 200bhp (more like 140 at the wheels) what were you expecting? These cars are slow no wonder why i redline mine more than 30 times a day everyday.
BTW the 3 liter motor will get nearly the same mpg.
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
White_Knuckles

Wow I'm thinking this may be a run-away thread? The 325 series was designed as an "entry level luxury sports sedan". In a world market, BMW needs to fit diverse buyers that have no loyalty to the brand. They target safety, quality, appearance, mileage and.... Sportiness? Yeah they do better then most poor excuses out there with "sport" implied.

But are they fast? That would be subjective to each owner. Example, if your prior ride was a 4-banger Mazda, then your XI would be a freakin' road burner. But if your new car market wants decent mileage and reasonable performance, don't forget some luxury, then they hit the target.

Let's take your basic 325XI with an automatic and take a virtual butt dyno trip onto a freeway on-ramp. We all, well most of us, stuff the pedal in Sport mode to test acceleration when we need to get to speed. This of course is a required test every now and then to make sure the engine still works. The car will pull well not pinning you to the seat exactly but will make a Prius get smaller in the mirror quickly. (tee-hee) I would check the "adequate" box under the performance catagory.

It's a fun car to drive. AWD works great. The thing has surgical steering and fine stoppers. It's actually fun year around. Am I sorry I didn't get an M5 with a 5-point harness? No, for most 325 buyers we're good with what they delivered. If you find yourself looking at the redline "30 times a day" brother, you got the wrong model. These are targeted for an average world consumer certainly not the performance crowd.

The point is, we can drive a 30 thousand dollar car for a 10 grand investment with plenty of life, luxury and fun left. What could be better?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #20
latitude39

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
..."entry level luxury sports sedan".

... decent mileage and reasonable performance, don't forget some luxury, then they hit the target.

... I would check the "adequate" box under the performance category.

It's a fun car to drive. AWD works great. The thing has surgical steering and fine stoppers. It's actually fun year around. ... These are targeted for an average world consumer certainly not the performance crowd.

The point is, we can drive a 30 thousand dollar car for a 10 grand investment with plenty of life, luxury and fun left. What could be better?
Well said!
latitude39 is offline   Reply With Quote