E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #21
mkodama

Damnit, I wanted to be on the first page!

Last edited by mkodama; 11-06-2012 at 06:16 PM.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #22
mkodama

I second that those installation instructions were garbage.

-The instructions had pictures of a non-M engine bay in one frame, and then switch to an M3 engine bay in the next.
-They give you arrows on where the stock power steering reservoir bracket goes, but not where the new one goes.
-They say you need to cut a hose, but not where on the hose you need to cut it.
-The parts and instructions varied.
etc...

Old 11-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #23
chivo328

My Ride: 328/330/633/M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
Oh, and at idle, this vortech unit rattles like crazy....
Check all your tensioners and pullies, the addition of the S/C may have pused a tired one over the edge although yes, these units are rather loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
In my mind. If you blew your valve cover gasket.....something is wrong.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Not uncommon to have a vcg fail after an S/C install.
chivo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #24
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Installed a new valve cover and gaskets and did the VANOS seals while i was in there. Car drives great now and idle no longer dips when coming to a stop. Rock solid!
Old 11-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #25
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chivo328 View Post
Check all your tensioners and pullies, the addition of the S/C may have pused a tired one over the edge although yes, these units are rather loud.

Not uncommon to have a vcg fail after an S/C install.
Interesting. So with this engine/car having enough crank case pressure to blow out your vcg is ok?

Old 11-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #26
TKC

Quote:
Interesting. So with this engine/car having enough crank case pressure to blow out your vcg is ok?

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I had 130k on the motor and never changed the vcg before, so maybe it was on its way out?

On a separate note, I saw a post showing an aftermarket, shorter, billet power steering resivior, but I can't remember where I saw it. Does anyone know the manufacturer or where I can find one? Thanks!
Old 11-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #27
mkodama

I remember who it was, ESS Tuning.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #28
TKC

Thanks miles! I can't find it on their site so i guess I'll have to call them and see if it's something they still have and how i can order it.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #29
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Quote:
Thanks miles! I can't find it on their site so i guess I'll have to call them and see if it's something they still have and how i can order it.
It comes with their ESS TS. You're gonna want to email hans@esstuning.com

You should of just bought my kit. lol.
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #30
chivo328

My Ride: 328/330/633/M5
Quote:
Not sure if it makes a difference, but I had 130k on the motor and never changed the vcg before, so maybe it was on its way out?

On a separate note, I saw a post showing an aftermarket, shorter, billet power steering resivior, but I can't remember where I saw it. Does anyone know the manufacturer or where I can find one? Thanks!
Quote:

Okay in the sense that it is common on higher mileage vehicles. If the gasket is old and on the edge the pressure created by an S/C install is oten enough to push it over the edge.

Last edited by chivo328; 11-12-2012 at 12:57 AM.
chivo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #31
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:

Ok but how much do you want to bet as soon as you put a new VCG on there it won't last long. VCGs leak but don't blow out under normal circumstances. You need to check the crank case hose which originally went to the OEM separator. If its kinked or seeing boost it will blow out your gasket. Not something to overlook.

With almost any SC system, servicing things get much more complicated. You can run some hoses to the pass side and relocate your pump but it should be fine where it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
You got a sh!tty kit for a high dollar price, I feel for you more. No hard feelings, I see all your FS threads 3 different injectors for sale, etc... How much did AA pay you, to you R&D their product? Why are you selling so many parts? From all your FS threads, sounds like you replaced a lot of things you didn't need to.
Honestly, I could give two sh1ts if you wanna mess with trippinbimmer but I'm going to put you on the spot. If you hate every FI company, fine. We all know that by now. No need to keep polluting every thread.

@you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Actually, it sounds more like you don't understand the concept of getting what you rightly paid for.

The solution is to throw money at the problem, am I right assuming this is how you cope with your issues?
You are a little b1tch on xixixixixixixixi's nuts. Should be more like xoxoxoxoxoxo with xixixixixixi. If you want better directions, tell the company you won't buy their kit unless you get some.

Last edited by bigjae1976; 11-12-2012 at 08:04 AM.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #32
TKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Ok but how much do you want to bet as soon as you put a new VCG on there it won't last long. VCGs leak but don't blow out under normal circumstances. You need to check the crank case hose which originally went to the OEM separator. If its kinked or seeing boost it will blow out your gasket. Not something to overlook.
I think I miscommunicated then. The VCG didn't "blow out" but basically there was a bad oil leak coming from the bottom (seen oil all over the exhaust manifold heat sheild) and in the front where the two dips are at the front of the vanos.

The crank case hose can't be kinked because it's plastic.

New gasket is in place with new valve cover for good measure. Also did the vanos seals repair while I was in there. Car runs great! Thanks.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #33
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
I think I miscommunicated then. The VCG didn't "blow out" but basically there was a bad oil leak coming from the bottom (seen oil all over the exhaust manifold heat sheild) and in the front where the two dips are at the front of the vanos.

The crank case hose can't be kinked because it's plastic.

New gasket is in place with new valve cover for good measure. Also did the vanos seals repair while I was in there. Car runs great! Thanks.
Good deal!

Last edited by bigjae1976; 11-12-2012 at 07:07 PM.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #34
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
We did a custom oil separator that sits outside the motor for easy access. This fixed the excess crankcase pressure. There is a thread about it.

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #35
TKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Murphy View Post
We did a custom oil separator that sits outside the motor for easy access. This fixed the excess crankcase pressure. There is a thread about it.

Jim
Awesome, thank you! I'll search for it.

Would love to start looking into what it would take to start increasing boost a bit.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #36
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
TKC, you're the man. I'm still on my FI quest

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #37
TKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
TKC, you're the man. I'm still on my FI quest
Thanks! It's been crazy with this car. Put up for sale, decided to keep it but un-mod it, put parts up for sale, now supercharged and keeping all the parts

Why are you still searching for FI? Did you decide not to do the ess kit? I remember you mentioning something about getting a sponsorship and going twinscrew?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #38
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post

With almost any SC system, servicing things get much more complicated. You can run some hoses to the pass side and relocate your pump but it should be fine where it is.

Honestly, I could give two sh1ts if you wanna mess with trippinbimmer but I'm going to put you on the spot. If you hate every FI company, fine. We all know that by now. No need to keep polluting every thread.

@you

You are a little b1tch on xixixixixixixixi's nuts. Should be more like xoxoxoxoxoxo with xixixixixixi. If you want better directions, tell the company you won't buy their kit unless you get some.
Cant stop laughing at last part

Old 11-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #39
TKC

Does anyone know if/how a HKS SSQV BOV can fit this VFE Supercharger kit I have on my 330?

After a lot of searching and reading, all the threads discuss how to install this on either active of vf kits, but only on M3s, which apparently have 2 pressure release valves in their kits. I wasn't able to find any examples of this on a 330. Thanks for any help!