E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
brandonwish

My Ride: 02 325i 5MT
02 M3 Vert: Passenger Window Auto-Up Won't Work - Tried Everything

Bought a 2002 M3 Vert no longer than a month ago and I'm in the process of restoring the interior. One problem I can't seem to fix is the passenger window auto-up function. I've read countless threads of this occurring but very few of them have been successfully solved.

My problem is the passenger window will go up by manually holding the button but when I release my finger it stops. All the doors are closed and the convertible top is closed as well when I try to do this so I know that's not the problem. I've also replaced the window switch with a brand new one and that also did not solve the issue. I've also tried resetting the "pinch sensor" using the following procedure..

-Keep key in position 1 or higher
- With convertible top in closed position, or hardtop in place, open the front windows fully.
- Disconnect and reconnect fuse 57 at the fuse panel. See 610 Electrical Component Locations.
- Close window by pulling up and holding window switch to second detent.
- When fully closed, keep switch in second detent position for at least 3 seconds.
- Repeat for opposite window.

No luck. I'm completely stumped and would greatly appreciate any help at all. If you can solve the issue I'll paypal the one responsible $5 for incentive. Thanks everyone!

-Brandon
brandonwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
scim459

My Ride: 2002 330ci
pull the switch out and clean the electrical connectors.
scim459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
silyb0y

My Ride: E46 330
edit

Last edited by silyb0y; 11-03-2012 at 12:00 AM.
silyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Brandon,

The Vert windows are a bit tricky and the info out there is inaccurate..

There is also an issue when the auto up feature started, it was phased in and differently for M3 vs non M.

Did the pass window ever auto up??

Do this, do not pull the fuse again.

Roll window all the way down, holding the switch for a solid 10 count, at least 5+ seconds, then hold the switch while rolling the window up and hold for a solid 10 count, then repeat the procedure so you have done the same thing twice for the window.

Let me know what happens, hopefully this will sort your issue. If not, you may have an older widow regulator in this door or possibly a switch issue??

The trick with these windows is you only pull the fuse once when doing both windows, I was mislead by the procedure and you have to run the windows up and down while holding the switch 2 times, not 1 time. The documented procedure is really poorly written.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
I tried "fixing" this same problem in my '01 M vert. Turns out these North American cars were delivered this way from the factory. I've gotten different answers but it seems that it cannot be coded out.

What I'm wondering is if BMW knew the window was never going to have the auto-up feature, then why did they use the "click switch" instead of the standard one with only one position?
Old 11-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
deliroast

My Ride: '02 M3 vert
Send a message via Skype™ to deliroast
Had to code mine to do it. Only driver side was coded.

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
deliroast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
M3 Verts from 03/2003 build date and regular Verts from 09/2003 had the auto up feature.

I have not done the research, however, I believe there were different window motors and possibly different window switches as well?? I am sure some time on RealOEM would answer this for sure.

Then there could be a coding issue on top of the proper parts being required?

I recall there is info about retrofitting earlier model cars and also physically modify the window switches to allow them to travel a bit further.

But before you through in the towel, follow my procedure I posted previously.

The last Vert that I had to sort both windows on required running the window up and down 2 times each before the auto up feature started to work again.

If this procedure does not resolve your issue, then you will need to check the build date and then figure out if you have the proper parts and coding.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 11-03-2012 at 07:59 AM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
brandonwish

My Ride: 02 325i 5MT
Thanks for all the responses. The auto-up feature never worked to my knowledge but I just bought the car no more than a month ago. The build date is 4/2002. I will try the reset procedure you posted after work in a couple hours and report back but I have my doubts. Ill let you know. Thanks everyone
brandonwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
On mine, it was an option that had to be switched on in the computers coding.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
For some reason early verts came coded that way. It can be changed with something like NCS Expert
Old 11-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
Beamer Creamer

My Ride: 2005 bmw m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
M3 Verts from 03/2003 build date and regular Verts from 09/2003 had the auto up feature.

I have not done the research, however, I believe there were different window motors and possibly different window switches as well?? I am sure some time on RealOEM would answer this for sure.

Then there could be a coding issue on top of the proper parts being required?

I recall there is info about retrofitting earlier model cars and also physically modify the window switches to allow them to travel a bit further.

But before you through in the towel, follow my procedure I posted previously.

The last Vert that I had to sort both windows on required running the window up and down 2 times each before the auto up feature started to work again.

If this procedure does not resolve your issue, then you will need to check the build date and then figure out if you have the proper parts and coding.
. Your vanos link sounds too much like my 2005 m3 in that my car will have drops at idle but doesnt show on tach. Happens pretty often but only ever an issue at idle not staying steady, it runs solid through the revs?
Beamer Creamer is offline   Reply With Quote