E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 09:44 PM   #1
E46Architect

Switch from Bilstein PSS coilovers to Koni FSD/Eibach Sportlines

I wonder if anyone has experience going from coilovers to springs/shocks?
My car is nearing end-of-life on its second set of Bilstein PSS coilovers. The first set was installed in 2008 and the second in 2012. The fronts are starting to leak now.

I am starting to wonder whether I should get another set of PSS's to replace them or to change strategies and get Koni FSD 2100 shocks & Eibach Sportline springs.
I love how the Bilsteins handle on the highway and in the mountains but am a little tired of the bouncing around when driving on uneven city streets.

Does anyone have experience with a switch like this? Specifically I would like to know how the Koni/Eibach setup would compare with what I am used to, both at speed, in the twisties and around town.

Thank you

Last edited by E46Architect; 05-12-2016 at 09:52 PM.
E46Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:24 AM   #2
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Architect View Post
I wonder if anyone has experience going from coilovers to springs/shocks?
My car is nearing end-of-life on its second set of Bilstein PSS coilovers. The first set was installed in 2008 and the second in 2012. The fronts are starting to leak now.

I am starting to wonder whether I should get another set of PSS's to replace them or to change strategies and get Koni FSD 2100 shocks & Eibach Sportline springs.
I love how the Bilsteins handle on the highway and in the mountains but am a little tired of the bouncing around when driving on uneven city streets.

Does anyone have experience with a switch like this? Specifically I would like to know how the Koni/Eibach setup would compare with what I am used to, both at speed, in the twisties and around town.

Thank you
FSD can handle a max drop of 25mm or they don't work correctly. Eibach Pro-kit are the correct springs, Sportline have to much drop.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:49 AM   #3
E46Architect

Interesting. It seems that Bavarian Auto sells them as a kit (item 2150 4006). Are the springs in that kit pro-kit?
Old 05-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Interesting. It seems that Bavarian Auto sells them as a kit (item 2150 4006). Are the springs in that kit pro-kit?

Yes they are the pro kit.

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,H&R Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:58 AM   #5
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Quote:
No idea but using springs too short is a common mistake with FSD. 24mn max drop, less even better. Best combo available for a DD, comfort and handling. Not a racetrack combo though...
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #6
E46Architect

I like the idea of a 'softer' ride when driving on uneven city/downtown streets. However I would like to retain the excellent handling at speed... Especially on twisty mountain roads. How would the FSD/Pro kit combination compare to what I'm used to when driving out there?

By the way I also have upgraded Hotchkis sway bars and an Active Autowerke upper strut brace. All bushings are always kept fresh.

Last edited by E46Architect; 05-13-2016 at 09:30 AM.
E46Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
your Bilsteins PSS have a lifetime warranty.

if youre going to switch I think the Koni Sport Adjustables and H&R springs would be an option for you.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #8
zander271

I have the FSD pro Kit on my ZHP with Hotchkis sway bars and handles great in the turns and at speed. You can look at my signature for the mods on my cars.

OP what springs do you have now? Also if your roads are crap the Eibach Sportline(Use with Koni Yellows) and Pro Kit springs are less harsh.

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,H&R Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob

Last edited by zander271; 05-13-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:42 PM   #9
E46Architect

I have been running on Bilstein PSS Coilovers for a decade now. Considering a slightly less harsh ride now
Old 05-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #10
bimmernate

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
My sisters E46 which I have driven quite a bit has Bilstein PSS, I have koni sports/eibach pro kit. The konis/eibach are a bit softer/more practical imo for DD use, but the bilsteins feel pretty damn great in the corners. Even when I up the dampening on the konis it doesn't match the bilstein ride for cornering. The bilsteins are just significantly stiffer

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS F&R Sway bars, M3 RTABs w/ Vorshlag Limiters, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TFX Projector retrofit by lightwerkz, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills, mobius dash cam

Last edited by bimmernate; 05-14-2016 at 10:05 AM.
bimmernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:25 PM   #11
zander271

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernate View Post
My sisters E46 which I have driven quite a bit has Bilstein PSS, I have koni sports/eibach pro kit. The konis/eibach are a bit softer/more practical imo for DD use, but the bilsteins feel pretty damn great in the corners. Even when I up the dampening on the konis it doesn't match the bilstein ride for cornering. The bilsteins are just significantly stiffer

Does she have the same springs?

Last edited by zander271; 05-14-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:43 PM   #12
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
well the FSD should be a more compliant ride than the Bilsteins you have. and generally in the kits the Eibachs are a softer spring than the H&R (although that can vary on Progressive vs Linear and spring rates).
Old 05-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #13
BE46N

My Ride: E46 M Sport Coupe
I have eibach sport lines on standard M-sport (zhp?) shocks with no issues. Best of both worlds, sits nice and low and ride is very compliant. I believe the eibach pro springs don't give any drop over the standard springs on my car. E46 M-Sport coupe.
BE46N is offline   Reply With Quote