E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
vlcmstnsct

My Ride: 2002 E46 330i
BMW TC 103 - VANOS Faulty Reference Value Intake

I replaced my VANOS seals and did the anti-rattle kit this past September. As far as I could tell everything was working very well as my friend and I are very mechanically inclined and I made sure to take my time and clean everything up really well etc. For the past 3 or so weeks something has felt off with my 2002 330i; nothing drastic. My car has never thrown any CEL. I was snooping around with INPA tonight and found where the DME has a separate place for stored VANOS codes and there it was...BMW TC 103. I went back and I was observing the values for the intake vanos and sure enough the the value for the actual position of the intake vanos was slightly off the target value for the intake vanos. And by off we are talking less than 1 degree and for the most part it seems to be when idle. I'm going to monitor it a little more extensively within the next few days. Now in comparison the exhaust vanos target value and actual position value are dead on. I don't know how long it's been going on because it has never thrown a CEL or anything. With the car running in INPA I can clear the code and it comes back on and stores it within 1-2 seconds. I also tried clearing all the adaptations again and its still there. This sucks but at the same time I am happy because I knew something did not feel right. Any help, thoughts, or ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
Aaron

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App

VIR Oktoberfast 2013
vlcmstnsct is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
vlcmstnsct

My Ride: 2002 E46 330i
Update

Update: My intake CPS had SOFT Failed 100%. I replaced my intake camshaft position sensor today and cleared the code (TC 103) and also my adaptations, started her up and it did not come back on. Before replacing my CPS with the car at idle I could clear the code and it would come back almost instantly.

FYI there was no MIL or CEL on the DASH for a soft failed CPS and the only way I could view the code was with INPA. It was only viewable under E46 -> Chassis -> Body Electronics ZKE. It would not show up under E46 -> Engine -> MS43 M54.

What led me to find all this was after rebuilding my VANOS I would still experience a very slight hesitation and/or slight throttle surge and I could only feel it in 1st gear from a dead stop.
vlcmstnsct is offline   Reply With Quote