E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
cbm3ltv

My Ride: e46 m3
What is an enthusiast?

Hello all. I'm currently studying subcultures for my pop culture class. I received my 328i two years ago and thanks to this forum I've been obsessed with everything BMW and cars ever since. So I figured why not take an in-depth look at the culture I enjoy.

I have a couple questions for the e46fanatics community. Also if you don't mind it would be nice if you guys posted pictures of your ride as well if you don't mind me using them for my assignment.

-What was the reason why you got into cars?

-Why did you choose the e46?

-Why do you modify your car? or why you don't modify your car?

-What are your views on other car subcultures? (ex.Stance, purists, track-oriented cars.)

-What car subculture do you associate with? Why?

-What do you consider a "proper" car?

-What do you think a car enthusiast is?

If you have anything more to say feel free to post your opinions. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by cbm3ltv; 11-06-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Added another question!
cbm3ltv is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Eliott's-BMW

My Ride: E46 3-Pedal Mafia
Im an enthusiast, i'll post a pic and add more stuff later...

Always loved cars since I was a kid.
Because the handling is amazing and looks very good.
-Why do you modify your car?
Because I modify almost everything I own.
-What are your views on other car subcultures? (ex.Stance, purists, track-oriented cars.)
I like some and hate others (ex, I like track oriented and anything that has to o with upgrading and not so much into crazy trends like extreme camber or car too low or wheels too aggressive )
just peeps that like to baby their cars and upgrade them, Why? because thats what I do to my cars.
A car that first of all is well maintained, well taken care of and has nice upgrades like so many fanatics in here

"May GOD grant you DOUBLE the amount you wish upon me!"

Last edited by Eliott's-BMW; 11-05-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Eliott's-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
cwhiteboy

My Ride: 2000 323iT, RWD/5spd
-What was the reason why you got into cars? I got into cars as a child because I've always enjoyed tinkering with things, and going fast.

-Why did you choose the e46? I've always loved the styling of the E46, but it was the birth of my first son that spurred us to look into buying a sport touring E46 5sp.

-Why do you modify your car? The E46 remains stock; My E30 and my Honda CRX are modified, mostly for light track duty.

-What are your views on other car subcultures? (ex.Stance, purists, track-oriented cars.) No problem with any of them at all. They may not suite my style, but it obviously does someone else.

-What car subculture do you associate with? Why? Use to be pretty involved with motorsports.

-What do you consider a "proper" car? Something you enjoy driving, something you love.

Last edited by cwhiteboy; 11-05-2012 at 09:49 PM.
cwhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
KrasivataSabine

My Ride: 323Ci

Childhood OBSESSION

Excellent handling-per-price. Especially of the ones my parents were willing to pay for.

It's an expression of my automotive passion - so its modded to handle and thrill

I guess I'm a driving purist more than anything. I don't like posers and generally don't approve of street racing. For example, an acquaintance told me two days ago that he swapped the V4 in his Integra for a V6. He says he street races, but wants to build up his car before he races for slips. He contacted me in the first place because my car looked fast and he wanted to see if I street raced. I asked him where he sourced his V6 from and never got a reply.

I feel like street racing gives "purists," by which I mean enthusiasts who appreciate cars for the driving experience/ engineering showcase, a bad name; the common observer can't differentiate the two car cultures.

I can go to a meet and be comfortable talking to anyone for the most part.

A proper sports car is something that facilitates that distinct bio-mechanical connection than makes racing/driving so fun. Ultimately, a proper car in general is one that serves its design purpose through its merits as an engineering product, not through media hype or advertising.

Edit: After reading some posts I felt the need to clear this up. I say "purist" meaning driving/performance purist. Not that I want to keep my E46 bone stock and OE haha

#BattleBimmer #323RS

Last edited by KrasivataSabine; 11-06-2012 at 12:08 PM.
KrasivataSabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
cbm3ltv

My Ride: e46 m3
Thanks for the replies! Keep them coming!
Old 11-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #6
MrEmitter

My Ride: 2002 330ci

I've always loved cars as a kid like most people here
Since high school I've always loved the e46 but they were expensive then as they were just released. Almost a decade later, I'm driving the realistic dream car with the exact color I wanted and black interior which I also wanted. (Beige is not in my crayon box)
I only modify my car to fit my needs. I try to keep it oem looking as much as possible. (ipod dock + dice, euro tray, possible lip soon)
Each have their own opinion and I like to leave it at that. My opinion involves not liking the wheels angled or super lowered or super track looking. I like to keep my car looking comfortable for me and my passenger. It's my daily driver so I keep it maintained, clean and must have music.
I would say I'm a purist since I like to keep things oem looking. I don't like replacing the bumper with an entirely different look. I only like to enhance what is already available.
a proper car is a fully maintained, always clean(detailed), no tacky mods such as CF wrap or smoked everything. Simple looking rims with enough fender to rim gap.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:04 AM   #7
Schaef

My Ride: 2012 Civic EX
A year and a half back I got my first car as a gift at the age of 17. Before then, I was never really into cars at all. They were just a means of transportation. With my new car, I started researching how to care for it, and I guess I slowly fell into the passion. I went from 9thcivic to /o/, from Top Gear to more indepth documentaries on youtube. I just, fell in love

I was looking for a bit more of a fun car, but still reasonable. I first was looking at a CR-Z, then moved on to thinking about a Z3. Then my friends dad got an E46 330ci convertible, and said he was selling it soon. I should be buying it in the coming months

I don't, I prefer to keep them stock, or at least able to be stock. On my Civic, I have some plasti dip on the front, just because I hate fake chrome sooo much

I'll get annoyed sometimes if I see a car I like "ruined" by these sorts of modifications, but in the end, they're just doing what they like, and I can't fault them for that
But God help them if they ruin a rare car.....

I wouldn't really say any...
Never been big into classic American muscle, and I, like I said, prefer to keep things stock

A proper car? Hm...
Well, take the Prius. Sure, I wouldn't want to drive one, but it's a good car for what it's meant to be, so it's a good car
There really are very few bad cars, but even those are kinda fun because they're so bad
So I guess, I'd say every car is a "proper" car
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120804_174454.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	477001  
Schaef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:40 AM   #8
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Fast and Furious and pussy

e46 makes pussy wet

attract more pussy

any subculture that's is pussy oriented is a good subculture

ricer, because Tokyo Drift and Asian pussy

a pussy magnet
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
SpoonerDee

My Ride: 2005 E46

Always loved them, fast, loud, sexy looking, what's not to like?

I came from an e36 (first BMW) once I had that car I was hooked and wanted an upgrade. Better looks, performance, everything.

I like to improve, whether it's looks or performance. I want my car to be unique to me.

Stance: Take a great car and ruin it. Purists: Take the stick out of your ass, unless you have a super rare car (which none of you do) there's no reason to shove your ideals down everyone's throat that they are bad for doing their own thing. Track cars: Why not? I love racing and performance have at it.

I would say the OEM plus crowd. Keep the cars clean, simple, yet unique. Too much is just that, too much.

Something that looks good, yet is still functional as it was meant to be.

If you have anything more to say feel free to post your opinions. Thanks for reading!

Keep the racing on the tracks, save lives. It is possible to have fun and enjoy your car with out being a dick bag and endangering peoples lives.

Last edited by SpoonerDee; 11-06-2012 at 07:36 AM.
SpoonerDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Born a gearhead, I guess. After r/c cars and planes, it seemed like a logical progression.
Car & Driver, mostly. All the reviews said it was a perfect compromise of sport and practicality.
To make it faster, lol.
Track cars, awesome. Stance, purists, etc. I genuinely dislike because I think it's a waste, but I've mellowed out about it over the years. It's more of an annoyance now.
Speed junkies/track guys/mountain runners...I think buying and owning a sports car because you want to park in a parking lot and stare at it is silly. I want to drive.
Any car that does it's intended purpose well with minimal compromises. Unfortunately, compromises are a fact of life. I guess that's why my e30 doesn't have a/c or power steering.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
I have a couple questions for the e46fanatics community. Also if you don't mind it would be nice if you guys posted pictures of your ride as well if you don't mind me using them for my assignment.

My dad

Precision

I don't modify just to modify, but usually when it comes time to maintain something, I end up "upgrading it" in the process.

Stance: a continuation of the 80s and 90s low-rider theme. It started in Northern California in an attempt to look "hard" and gangstery. I feel these stancers are often involved in gangs or thuggish clothes and looks or feel like that they should represent that look. They often wear flat-billed baseball caps with large round gold stickers on them and lean to one side at meets while standing around staring aggressively at anyone who "looks at them the wrong way." The cars are often neglected, abused, chipped up, shredded, torn, and rusty. Stancers don't care that their car is now dangerous, extremely underperforming, and ugly. They just want the hardest gangster look as possible. They want to outdo eachother and one up eachother.

Purists: awesome.

Trackers: awesome.

Purists and trackers because it's awesome.

"Well, there's a straight-six engine at the front, a manual gearbox in the middle, and drive goes to the back.That's page one, chapter one from the petrosexual handbook."

- Jeremy Clarkson

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 11-06-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
When I was younger, I played a lot of Need for Speed and Gran Turismo games. I also watched a lot of Fast and Furious.

I've loved the e46 design since I was a kid.
My first car was actually a 2000 323i, with many modifications already made to it. I went to a local auction house to buy my first car, and that one was there. Marshall seized, appeared to be in good condition. I bought it, loved it (but wished it was faster/had the possibility of some forced induction), eventually after nearly 3 years, I upgraded to the M.

There are some things that BMW and I don't agree on, such as wheels.

It's your own choice. Do what you love, but don't bash other people for doing what they love.
It also depends a lot on the car. I usually expect Hondas to be stanced, and sporty cars to be tracked. When it's the other way around, sometimes I question it, but then you realize that some people just love the look of slammed cars.

Well, probably trackers more-so than purists. I've been highly considering some mods (wheels and a drop), but we'll see where everything goes.

A car that was planned before it was modified. A car that when you buy, you really begin to consider mods as something to make the car come together, as opposed to just throwing stuff on because it's cool in it's own element (such as angel eyes, even if they don't flow with the rest of the car, or wheels without a drop, etc.).

Old 11-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
MrEmitter

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH03NIX46 View Post
When I was younger, I played a lot of Need for Speed and Gran Turismo games. I also watched a lot of Fast and Furious.

I grew up playing those games too and that's where my passion for cars started.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
What was the reason why you got into cars?
To drive around

Because my e36 was totaled and I needed another 3, manual, and right away!

So I could hold my gps discreetly.

Other 'cultures' presupposes that me, who hasn't modded, isn't an enthusiast. I couldn't love my car more. I think stance is usually overdone and reduces the car's functionality. I am a purist, so my view is purists are pure people! Track cars? All the power to our trackers...both literally and figuratively.

It has to be Fern Green Metallic and otherwise unmolested...at least on the major elements.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
What was the reason why you got into cars?
To drive around

Because my e36 was totaled and I needed another 3, manual, and right away!

So I could hold my gps discreetly.

Other 'cultures' presupposes that me, who hasn't modded, isn't an enthusiast. I couldn't love my car more. I think stance is usually overdone and reduces the car's functionality. I am a purist, so my view is purists are pure people! Track cars? All the power to our trackers...both literally and figuratively.

It has to be Fern Green Metallic and otherwise unmolested...at least on the major elements.
Where's the pics? OP asked for pics. You fail.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
For a second, Mango, I was wondering why my car was silver!

OP also said I'm not an enthusiast, so I was kind of pissed and didn't post pics purposefully! OP...I'm as enthusiastic about polishing my nuts as a 'modder' is about polishing his. Just saying!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #17
KrasivataSabine

My Ride: 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Born a gearhead, I guess. After r/c cars and planes, it seemed like a logical progression.
Car & Driver, mostly. All the reviews said it was a perfect compromise of sport and practicality.
To make it faster, lol.
Track cars, awesome. Stance, purists, etc. I genuinely dislike because I think it's a waste, but I've mellowed out about it over the years. It's more of an annoyance now.
Speed junkies/track guys/mountain runners...I think buying and owning a sports car because you want to park in a parking lot and stare at it is silly. I want to drive.
Any car that does it's intended purpose well with minimal compromises. Unfortunately, compromises are a fact of life. I guess that's why my e30 doesn't have a/c or power steering.
You. Are. A winner.

#BattleBimmer #323RS
KrasivataSabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #18
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
I have been riding motorcycles all my life. But after moving to Colorado, it was not practical to ride motorcycle in the winters in Colorado.

After driving accord, eclipse, mazda for sometime I test drove a friend's e39. Got hooked instantly but wanted a coupe, hence e46.

To make it to my taste, and/or update to better parts.

I am not part of any, but I dont hate them. I just dont like them.

None, may be a little towards purists. But not all the way.

A proper car is an extension of a the driver. Clean, maintained, reliable and most of all it should make you happy to drive it. For me: Jaguar XKR

Old 11-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #19
Schaef

My Ride: 2012 Civic EX
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Bunch of stuff too big to repost as a quote

Awesome picture

Another awesome picture

Oh hey look, another awesome picture!
Is it just me, or do your headlights look a wee bit foggy?

Also, damn shame these didn't come with angel eyes stock
I normally don't like to mod cars, but damn, a BMW with angel eyes is really gorgeous. Especially a grey one, your car looks absolutely fantastic
Schaef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaef View Post
Is it just me, or do your headlights look a wee bit foggy?

Also, damn shame these didn't come with angel eyes stock
I normally don't like to mod cars, but damn, a BMW with angel eyes is really gorgeous. Especially a grey one, your car looks absolutely fantastic
A BMW with angel eyes that didn't come with them from the factory looks really teenage. Trust us!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...0#post14335415

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 11-06-2012 at 03:47 PM.