E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Barneyhyphen

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
Possible speaker replacement?

2000 323i Non-HK. All mid/bass speakers shot.

My understanding is that the lower two speakers in the front doors and the two in the rear deck are all the same, correct?

http://cheapcarspeakersystems.blogsp...-300-watt.html

Would the above be suitable (better than stock) replacements?

They are 4 ohm instead of the stock 2 ohm, is this a problem?

They are 2.84" deep, does this mean they will fit in the rear shelf but not in the doors?

Any other things I should know?

Thanks.

BH

Last edited by Barneyhyphen; 11-06-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: incorrect placement of thread
Barneyhyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
You should try to get the same resistance. That won't be a huge difference, but you should if you can. If you can't, I believe it is better to get a higher resistance (like the ones you have chosen) to keep the current down. I=V/R, so a higher resistance will lower the current and power and keep your amp alive. Someone with more audio knowledge please validate this, though I am pretty sure it's correct.

Last edited by WDE46; 11-06-2012 at 03:28 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
The HiFi system (none HK cars) uses 3 speakers in each door. You have a woofer located in the lower door panel, a mid located near the center area of the door panel and a tweeter located on the top of the door. If you'd prefer to pick up factory replacement speakers, I have them avaible HERE for your car.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
DBrown

My Ride: BMW 325 Ci
I replaced my stuff with bsw, an absolutely love it. If you got the money I would definetly recommend them. Yes that are expensive, but incredibly smooth speakers. If you like good sound. They are worth it. I was very impressed I like them better for midranges and tweeters than my old jbl, alpines and kaption audio ones. Which have been in this car and others.

The new ones from ecs will also do the job and be a lot better then the current ones you have. Bsw route is an expensive one.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Go with BSW, they're direct replacements. They spent a lot of time making them work for our cars. It's as easy as unplugging the old ones and plugging the new ones in.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneyhyphen View Post
2000 323i Non-HK. All mid/bass speakers shot.

My understanding is that the lower two speakers in the front doors and the two in the rear deck are all the same, correct?

http://cheapcarspeakersystems.blogsp...-300-watt.html

Would the above be suitable (better than stock) replacements?

They are 4 ohm instead of the stock 2 ohm, is this a problem?

They are 2.84" deep, does this mean they will fit in the rear shelf but not in the doors?

Any other things I should know?

Thanks.

BH
Yes, the four midbass drivers are same.

I don't know if these Pyle speakers will count as an improvement over the stock speakers, but they should work alright. Perhaps they'll be quieter than the stocks, them being 4 Ohm vs. 2 Ohm, but that's something you can fix with the equalizer.

With these, your primary concern should be fitment, not sound quality. You will have a hard time fitting these in the front. They have an outer diameter of 6.64". Anything larger than 6.25" - 6.3" will require a lot of work to make it fit on the front door panels. I don't think doing this for some $10 speakers will be worth the effort.

I went with Infinity Reference 6032si, $50 per pair, they fit directly with adaptors ($10 per pair on Ebay). The adaptors needed a bit of work with a rough file and a drill. You can also make them yourself from some thick plastic. The 6032si is a two-way speaker, 4 Ohm tweeter+4 Ohm midbass/midrange, total impedance of 2 Ohm. Most likely the tweeters don't do anything since the amp shouldn't send high frequencies to the midbass, but all in all I'm pleased with the result.

Last edited by Megalocnus; 11-07-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
Barneyhyphen

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
Thank you all for the constructive input/suggestions. My daughter is buying these for herself so $'s is certainly a driving factor.

BH
Barneyhyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Jeremy Bavsound
Sponsor

My Ride: Bavsound
Our speakers on top of being plug and play and sounding significantly better than an OEM speaker also carry a 4 year warranty. She would be very pleased with the sound improvement, and it would also allow her to not have to worry about another OEM speaker failing!

Bavsound | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404.381.1800

Jeremy Bavsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
RJDaly28

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bavsound View Post
Our speakers on top of being plug and play and sounding significantly better than an OEM speaker also carry a 4 year warranty. She would be very pleased with the sound improvement, and it would also allow her to not have to worry about another OEM speaker failing!
This is probably your best "drop in" option. Those Pyles will be tough to fit and the few of those I've listened to before were not very high quality speakers.

If the $599 for the BSW stuff is a bit more than you want to go I am selling basically all of the HK stuff that just came out of my car. It all works fine and would just drop in. (the speakers, not the amp, etc)

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=956036

$150 for the 6 speakers I have and you're done.