E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
jcallanan

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Name This Oil Leak?

I know, I know, there are a gazillion posts trying to figure out where an oil leak is coming from. I havee looked at a bunch, but I'm not certain I can nail this down. Figured I'd post a few pics and see if anyone has any opinions.

It's leaking a pretty decent amount - I've lost more than a quart in the last couple of days.

First I checked the oil filter gasket and tightened it to rule that out, then I cleaned the underside of the engine with engine cleaner/degreaser and started it. within a few minutes, the leak started - it's coming down on the driver's side of the engine right near the front. You can see it clearly in the pics.

I did the vanos seals and the vgc about 5-6 months ago. I don't know if that is it, but I would not rule it out. The OFHG looks to be ok, but not positive. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil-leak underside 2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	477078   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil-leak underside 3.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	477079   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil filter cover ring.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	477080  
jcallanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Fajitas

My Ride: 04 E46
Vanos oil line and OFHG. Change them both at the same time along with new crush washers. JMHO
Fajitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
Agreed. When you get in there, you might also find leaks from the PS reservoir and feed/return hoses. You can replace the hoses or trim and re-clamp. Either way, not high $$$.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
jcallanan

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Thanks guys - will pull it apart this week. Parts on order.
jcallanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Clean things up and look again in a few days just to confirm.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote