E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
Guy.With.E46

My Ride: 00 BMW 328ci
what are the best coilovers?

Hay e46 fanatic fam please i have bin contemplating for a long time now and just can't figure out what coilovers to get I'm in to track/drifting so i like the stiff but comfortable ride and this is my first e46 i love the car just need the right suspension for it anybody got any recommended or now good coilovers.

thank you for reading

Car: 00 328ci
Guy.With.E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
which brands have you been looking at?

what's your budget?

what type of springs you want "progressive" or "linear".

328Ci on an island salt air...have you had your rear axle carrier mounts fixed/replaced/inspected????
Old 04-07-2017, 08:42 PM   #3
Starvega

My Ride: 323i
I've had good luck with bc. Height and damping adjustable, plus they come with camber plates.
Starvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:14 PM   #4
2kE46

My Ride: E46
Hey a fellow Oahu braddah!

Aloha!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
2kE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #5
2kE46

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy.With.E46 View Post
Hay e46 fanatic fam please i have bin contemplating for a long time now and just can't figure out what coilovers to get I'm in to track/drifting so i like the stiff but comfortable ride and this is my first e46 i love the car just need the right suspension for it anybody got any recommended or now good coilovers.

thank you for reading

I'm currently running megan coilover 32-way adj with camber plates.

Not sure if it's good for drifting but it's comfortable for daily.

-Dez
2kE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:09 AM   #6
maxenter

My Ride: 2001 BMW E46 325Ci C
Quote:

thank you for reading

I'd say look into brands such as BC Racing, Meagan Racing, or Bilstein if you want the best. My other advice is to not go cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
maxenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #7
Guy.With.E46

My Ride: 00 BMW 328ci
thank you to all for the replies ill look in to bc
Guy.With.E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:54 PM   #8
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Quote:
thank you to all for the replies ill look in to bc
Mediocre, save your money for something better.

Best equals Motons or Ohlins and others in this price range.

A very good no BS choice would be the Bilstein PSS10, find your best price and buy these.

Mods: Header, CAI, Shark, Koni Sport Struts, Rob43 9 Way Shocks, Big Sway Bar, Special Lowering Springs, 3.38 Diff, PFC Z-Pads, 75 Shot Of N20

E46 M3's are just tasty snacks i eat for lunch.

Last edited by SK330ci; 04-09-2017 at 12:23 AM.
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #9
Starvega

I love how all the coilovers people say are "the best" are never height adjustable, never come with camber plates and always have soft spring rates. Bilstein, kw, h&r, they'll all bend you over for $1800 or more and you end up sagging the springs to adjust the height and using stock strut mounts.
Meanwhile you can pick up a set of bc's for $950 or better yet a set of fortune auto's for around $1200 and get full adjustability, camber plates, and a two year warranty.

Last edited by Starvega; 04-09-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:06 PM   #10
SK330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starvega View Post
I love how all the coilovers people say are "the best" are never height adjustable, never come with camber plates and always have soft spring rates. Bilstein, kw, h&r, they'll all bend you over for $1800 or more and you end up sagging the springs to adjust the height and using stock strut mounts.
Meanwhile you can pick up a set of bc's for $950 or better yet a set of fortune auto's for around $1200 and get full adjustability, camber plates, and a two year warranty.
Can you post up at least 3 nasa or scca championships for either of these lower brands you mention? The op says he wants them for tracking and drifting, Bilstein, KW, and H&R live up to that winning racing pedigree.

Mods: Header, CAI, Shark, Koni Sport Struts, Rob43 9 Way Shocks, Big Sway Bar, Special Lowering Springs, 3.38 Diff, PFC Z-Pads, 75 Shot Of N20

Last edited by SK330ci; 04-09-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #11
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Lyra View Post
What do you mean "Never height adjustable"?

Now, I don't believe for a second the OP wants the best. They would cost more than the car is worth. Ohlins, Penske, high end Konis (not the schoolboy stuff that is generally discussed her), or even Bilstein race dampers (WAY different from any Bilsteins discussed here) are all among the best. They probably start at about $5k or more (it's been over 10 years since looking into them).

OP is dreaming. As for the BC's... I don't know much about them, but they very much strike me as a cheap street CO set.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:49 PM   #12
Starvega

Op wants a comfortable ride (obviously a street car) with the ability to do track and drift driving. I highly doubt he's doing any kind of racing in his 2000 328i that's going to warrant any of those extremely high end, high priced options you listed.
In my opinion, based off of experience with plenty of different brands on different cars, the best coilovers for a street car that sees track duty is whatever gives you all the features you need to set the car up the way you want it. If you only want to lower the car 1" and want to reuse your old strut mounts or fork out another $200 for new ones, then sure get bilstein, kw, etc. But there's no way I'm putting those on my car. I had bc on my last car and they rode fantastic and the car was extremely nimble on the track. Same goes for the stance gr+ on my buddy's car. Very capable on the street and track.
I would put money on the coilovers i recommended keeping up with or beating your $2000 set on a track.
Bc is my go-to when it comes to street/track cars.
Op i promise you will not be disappointed with the way these brands ride and they'll perform perfectly for what you're going to use them for. Look into Fortune auto and Stance as well, they're slightly higher priced but great value for the money.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #13
SK330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starvega View Post
Op wants a comfortable ride (obviously a street car) with the ability to do track and drift driving. I highly doubt he's doing any kind of racing in his 2000 328i that's going to warrant any of those extremely high end, high priced options you listed.
In my opinion, based off of experience with plenty of different brands on different cars, the best coilovers for a street car that sees track duty is whatever gives you all the features you need to set the car up the way you want it. If you only want to lower the car 1" and want to reuse your old strut mounts or fork out another $200 for new ones, then sure get bilstein, kw, etc. But there's no way I'm putting those on my car. I had bc on my last car and they rode fantastic and the car was extremely nimble on the track. Same goes for the stance gr+ on my buddy's car. Very capable on the street and track.
I would put money on the coilovers i recommended keeping up with or beating your $2000 set on a track.
Bc is my go-to when it comes to street/track cars.
Op i promise you will not be disappointed with the way these brands ride and they'll perform perfectly for what you're going to use them for. Look into Fortune auto and Stance as well, they're slightly higher priced but great value for the money.

laughing at bc coilovers being a good tracking setup, i will never forget this bc quote;

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...6&postcount=11

Old 04-09-2017, 11:10 PM   #14
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
I stick by everything in my last post.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #15
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
I've had BC Coilovers on my daily driven 325i for almost a year now.
They ride okay, and seem to be holding up fairly well both cosmetically & functionally.

Spring rates are a bit too stiff if I'm honest, but the box does indicate the setup is for an E46 M3.
That's what FCPEuro had in stock for my model, so that was my only option, as this was part of a warranty exchange.

I wouldn't consider these a high-end coilover set, but they do the job fine (fingers crossed for longevity).
If I was looking into building a car for the track, they wouldn't be my first choice though.

I will add that the BC Coilovers I'm currently running replaced a set (actually 2 sets) of ST V1s.
The STs are essentially KW V1s, with a galvanized body instead of stainless steel.

The STs were much more comfortable for a daily driver, but their longevity was GARBAGE.
I went through 2 sets within roughly 2 years:

- The front struts both failed, one at a time,
- 1 of the rear shocks eventually leaked, but both lost their rebound / dampening ability.
- The end links ended up failing, the strut bodies rusted to absolute shit after only 1 winter (BC is mint by comparison)
- Lowering range was nowhere near what was advertised (not a real issue unless you plan on "slamming" your vehicle)

HUGE THANKS to FCPEuro for working with me through the years to resolve my problems, and eventually replacing the entire ST kit.
I will never buy a KW / ST product again.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #16
SK330ci

^ Good solid review.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #17
Depraved

My Ride: ZHP Sedan 6mt Imola/
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlame View Post
I've had BC Coilovers on my daily driven 325i for almost a year now.
They ride okay, and seem to be holding up fairly well both cosmetically & functionally.

Spring rates are a bit too stiff if I'm honest, but the box does indicate the setup is for an E46 M3.
That's what FCPEuro had in stock for my model, so that was my only option, as this was part of a warranty exchange.

I wouldn't consider these a high-end coilover set, but they do the job fine (fingers crossed for longevity).
If I was looking into building a car for the track, they wouldn't be my first choice though.

I will add that the BC Coilovers I'm currently running replaced a set (actually 2 sets) of ST V1s.
The STs are essentially KW V1s, with a galvanized body instead of stainless steel.

The STs were much more comfortable for a daily driver, but their longevity was GARBAGE.
I went through 2 sets within roughly 2 years:

- The front struts both failed, one at a time,
- 1 of the rear shocks eventually leaked, but both lost their rebound / dampening ability.
- The end links ended up failing, the strut bodies rusted to absolute shit after only 1 winter (BC is mint by comparison)
- Lowering range was nowhere near what was advertised (not a real issue unless you plan on "slamming" your vehicle)

HUGE THANKS to FCPEuro for working with me through the years to resolve my problems, and eventually replacing the entire ST kit.
I will never buy a KW / ST product again.
Sounds like a bad set slipped by quality control, I've had the ST XTA coilovers on my ZHP for over a year and put close to 20k miles on them and everything is performing well and aren't showing any signs of major wear.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Depraved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #18
GhostFlame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depraved View Post
Sounds like a bad set slipped by quality control, I've had the ST XTA coilovers on my ZHP for over a year and put close to 20k miles on them and everything is performing well and aren't showing any signs of major wear.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
It was actually 2 bad sets, from entirely different production runs.

XTA is a slightly different (newer) iteration of the V1, with the addition of camber plates. I don't know if ST/KW changed anything else, be it valving, seals, coating etc. with this set.

That said, I can almost guarantee if you replaced your two rear shocks today, your car would feel different. Mine softened up gradually.

Good luck, especially if you live where they salt the roads!
Old 04-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #19
GhostFlame

I'll add also, the rear coil spring binding issue on the ST V1s is disappointing as well.

At parking lot speeds, or when torsion is applied to the chassis (pulling into driveways, going over humps while turning) the rear would always produce noise. The paint also flaked off in the areas where the springs binded, and ofcourse they rusted.

Example, with pics: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=375086

Notice how the OEM springs are designed completely different? (less coils) That's done on purpose.

My BC coilovers aren't stellar in that degree either, but at least the manufacturer decided to add some rather thick rubber insulators around where the coils can bind.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #20
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxenter View Post
I'd say look into brands such as BC Racing, Meagan Racing, or Bilstein if you want the best. My other advice is to not go cheap!

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36///M3 - RIP
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
Alpine WhiteCoral RedAluminum f30 328i Sportline/6MT
Imola RedBlackBlack Aluminum e46 330i ZHP/6MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote