E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
182BMW

My Ride: 2005 330ci
Exclamation Vibration at a 80-100km ????

my mechanic told me that my front CA bushing are worn out , but before when i drove there there was no vibration in my srteering wheel , i bought a m3 steering wheel for a good price and installed it yesterday i took it out for a ride today and it stated shaking when i was going at 80 - 100km , i made sure it was dead centre with both markings lining up , so can this be from my steering wheel or from CA

P.S theres a refresh kit level 2 from ecstuning around use that ?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:48 AM   #2
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Not CA bushing, but a bad tire/rim
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:59 AM   #3
Bimmer4Lyfe

My Ride: 02 325i
^ +1

-j
Bimmer4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #4
182BMW

I'm gonna check tomorrow and report back, you think the weight might have fell off ?

Last edited by 182BMW; 03-24-2013 at 03:04 AM.
182BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:09 AM   #5
drawz

My Ride: BMW 3-series 325
Check your tire/rim first. In worst case, It can be signs of a bad steering rack. I also had this shaking at higher speeds. Do you have a knocking nois when moveing the steeringwheel when car is off? Thats how I found out that my rack was bad.

Last edited by drawz; 03-24-2013 at 03:09 AM.
drawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:23 AM   #6
182BMW

It's clicking when I move it from side to side it there a way from looking under at it that I could tell ? Cause my mech told me that he that it was rack and pin . The right tire has play in it so he looked closer and said that it was inner control arm ball joint or control arm bushing bracket , when I drove home that night there was no problem or vibration , the nested day after I installed my m steering and took it out for a drive the it started vibrating at 100 km
Old 03-24-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
drawz

My Ride: BMW 3-series 325
Hm, well. I do not have that mutch knowlage. Have a friend to help you out, one wiggle the steering wheel, and the other one reach down to the steering column and press It down away from the firewall and check of the clicking goes away. In my case this made the sound go away, so there was no question It was the rack. But it could also be a dusin other things. It also could be your coupling or steering shaft.
drawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:17 AM   #8
182BMW

It like an over night problem i dunno ? , I barely drive my bmw as its winter over in alberta ( 30cm of snow on thursday ) I just took it to the shop no problem on the way there only when i was pulling up to the shop really bumpy roads there , so it was making a knocking sound like metal on metal , my mech changed my atf fluid and filter and i told him to look at the right side CA cause thats there i thought it was coming from he did say he thought it was rack and pin but changed his mind and said CA bushing bracket , or inner ball joint , after he told me to drive on the freeway to get the fluid worked into the transmission , no vibration then , then 2 days later i put the M wheel in, go for a drive now its vibrating , This is exactly what i did .

I honestly doubt that putting the M wheel in is making it vibrate cause how could it do that ? if a tooth was broken off the wheel could it do that ?

I looked underneath and the bushing looked worn and there are not round more squared on the bottom on both side, the outter tie-rod i can move left to right on both sides are they supposed to do that or are they supposed to be no movement ?

the rotors on the front are kinda worn but still in good shape they are not warped, the right rotor on the back of it has this brown goo looking stuff on it .

the balancing weight are on both sides

sway bar link end are in solid on bothsides

the vibration is coming from the wheel and it feels close to my feet on the right

I will be using ecs tuning refresh kit level 2 , so thats outer tire rods ,CA's and CA brackets with bushing , sway bar link ends , strut mounts and plates
Old 03-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #9
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
Wobbly wheel is most likely caused by 1) unbalanced wheels 2) worn out bushings and 3) loosen ball joints
So, the first thing you need to do is checking wheel balance. If one of the wheels is damaged, it will not balanced properly. You can slap seller's face for not being honest then. My money's on wheel balance.

I highly doubt that problem would continue, but if it does check LCA bushings.
You might as well replace lower arms while you're at it as you can save some money on labor.

Last edited by mack89; 03-24-2013 at 04:25 AM.
mack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #10
182BMW

Im gonna check the rim and balancing tomorrow , I think the ecs tuning refresh kit is a lower CA or i might be wrong

Going to fix this and keep everyone updated so that if anyone else has this problem they know what to do
Old 03-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
182BMW

So today I went to the tire shop on the way there i drove on the freeway and there was NO vibration this time ???
Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
I don't think you just went back home only because it didn't exhibit the symptom. Are the rims balanced now?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #13
182BMW

I did go back home when I got to the tire shop it was closed on Sundays , the vibration stopped when I was drove the car today which I don't understand cause the other day it was vibrating a lot like shaking my side mirrors , I know it will come back soon enough

Last edited by 182BMW; 03-25-2013 at 05:30 AM.
182BMW is offline   Reply With Quote