E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
otto99

My Ride: 2002 325iT
Coilover questions

If this has been discussed and I missed it in my search, I apologize. I recently bought a 325iT that has, or so I'm told, Street Edge coilovers. While it rides pretty much like I expected, it's not horrible, and the thing corners wonderfully. However, I would like to raise the rear a half inch or so for a bit of rake and because I will have to occasionally haul some weighty stuff. I'm am told the rears are set as high as they can go, and my only choice will be new springs. Is that advisable to just get slightly taller springs, or am I going to have to live with it until I can afford something new with more adjustability? I saw the post with Rob43's set up, and that I can do in a few months, so I am encouraged. Thanks.
otto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto99 View Post
If this has been discussed and I missed it in my search, I apologize. I recently bought a 325iT that has, or so I'm told, Street Edge coilovers. While it rides pretty much like I expected, it's not horrible, and the thing corners wonderfully. However, I would like to raise the rear a half inch or so for a bit of rake and because I will have to occasionally haul some weighty stuff. I'm am told the rears are set as high as they can go, and my only choice will be new springs. Is that advisable to just get slightly taller springs, or am I going to have to live with it until I can afford something new with more adjustability? I saw the post with Rob43's set up, and that I can do in a few months, so I am encouraged. Thanks.
Yep. You want Rob's set-up for a nice improvement. Congrats on the touring. I love mine. Come on over the the Touring sub-forum (although this one is definitely right for this question).

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #3
otto99

Actually, I went to the Touring forum when I first got the car, and since I can't buy Rob's set up until I hit 500 posts, I guess I'll have to visit a lot more of the forums!
Old 03-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #4
I8UR911

My Ride: Spec E46 (01 330Ci)
Quote:
You certainly could install a taller spring.

I'm not familiar with those coilovers, but you'd want to get a spring rate that is similar to what you have now due to the valving of the damper.

There are a lot of companies that sell springs for coilovers. You just need to know if Street Edge uses a 60mm spring or a 2.5" spring.
I8UR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8UR911 View Post
You certainly could install a taller spring.

I'm not familiar with those coilovers, but you'd want to get a spring rate that is similar to what you have now due to the valving of the damper.

There are a lot of companies that sell springs for coilovers. You just need to know if Street Edge uses a 60mm spring or a 2.5" spring.
The rear springs on the E46 are not race springs (e.g. Eibach ERS) and are not coilovers. They are special springs that set on a adjustable perch. So, unlike a true coilover where you could use a variety of race springs, such is not the case on the rear of the E46.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
otto99

But these are coilovers, and they apparently have something of a stank about them. The company that sold them has stopped selling them for any BMW, and when called for information, like the documentation that would have come in the package, they were no help. Thanks to I8 for giving me a new avenue to explore, because I really want the car a bit higher in the back for normal use, and the ability to crank it back down for track days.

Greg
325iT
Old 03-23-2017, 10:28 PM   #7
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
But these are coilovers, and they apparently have something of a stank about them. The company that sold them has stopped selling them for any BMW, and when called for information, like the documentation that would have come in the package, they were no help. Thanks to I8 for giving me a new avenue to explore, because I really want the car a bit higher in the back for normal use, and the ability to crank it back down for track days.
I am 99.9% sure they are not coilovers in the rear. Are the springs wrapped around the dampers in the rear or in the stock location? If the stock location, regardless of whether they are height adjustable, they are not coilovers.

I've never seen rear springs on an E46 (even with adj height) that used regular race springs (again, e.g., Eibach ERS).

Old 03-23-2017, 10:31 PM   #8
Geo31
Ironman

Going back, I see you have Street Edge. The rears are not coilovers, although the full package are generally referred to as that. What's important is that you can't use std race springs used in coilovers in the rear to my knowledge.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:23 AM   #9
otto99

So then I'm just boned in the rear... wait, wait, without options on raising the back end without replacing it all?

Greg
325iT
Old 03-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #10
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
So then I'm just boned in the rear... wait, wait, without options on raising the back end without replacing it all?

Not sure. I think there are thicker spring pads you can buy. They may give you the additional height you need.

I think I remember someone else having an issue with their touring being too low with the Riceland coilovers. I seem to remember a rather prickly discussion over it between the user (bought them secondhand) and the distributor of Riceland.

Because the rear springs are not standard springs like the Eibach ERS, I suspect it will be harder to source just a new set of rear springs. You may be able to find a seller who sells different rear springs for their coilover set-ups, but I've not seen one yet. The thicker spring pads may be your only real hope.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #11
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
a few good thoughts; first if you really do plan on tracking your car, this would be a great time to sell off your se coilover kit. I'm sure once you polish them up you would get 250+ for them. A se coilover kit is not a track worthy setup, it's for looks not tracking, danger comes to mind as i think about it.

If you remove the tracking idea, then you could get away with a simple trick Rob43 told about, shim the rear springs with a xi 14.5mm spring pad. This is a good way to raise the rear up without spending big $ to do it.

The best way to do things imo would be to use the exact Rob43 built suspension that i use, it will cost you about 850 and the front and rear shocks are fully adjustable. Having the ability to adjust the shocks for street use or track use is a huge plus, it makes all the difference, plus i have a lifetime warranty on the shocks and springs.

Mods: Header, CAI, Shark, Koni Sport Struts, Rob43 9 Way Shocks, Big Sway Bar, Special Lowering Springs, 3.38 Diff, PFC Z-Pads, 75 Shot Of N20

E46 M3's are just tasty snacks i eat for lunch.
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #12
otto99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
I think I remember someone else having an issue with their touring being too low with the Riceland coilovers. I seem to remember a rather prickly discussion over it between the user (bought them secondhand) and the distributor of Riceland
Yeah, I saw that, if you mean the large font rant about second hand purchase and they wouldn't refund him. Idiot. And that was what I was referring to earlier about them having a stank.

Greg
325iT
Old 03-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #13
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that, if you mean the large font rant about second hand purchase and they wouldn't refund him. Idiot. And that was what I was referring to earlier about them having a stank.
Yep, that's the one. Totally agree he was an idiot.

Still, the situation is cause for concern about being able to adjust the springs high enough.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #14
otto99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK330ci View Post
a few good thoughts; first if you really do plan on tracking your car, this would be a great time to sell off your se coilover kit. I'm sure once you polish them up you would get 250+ for them. A se coilover kit is not a track worthy setup, it's for looks not tracking, danger comes to mind as i think about it.

If you remove the tracking idea, then you could get away with a simple trick Rob43 told about, shim the rear springs with a xi 14.5mm spring pad. This is a good way to raise the rear up without spending big $ to do it.

The best way to do things imo would be to use the exact Rob43 built suspension that i use, it will cost you about 850 and the front and rear shocks are fully adjustable. Having the ability to adjust the shocks for street use or track use is a huge plus, it makes all the difference, plus i have a lifetime warranty on the shocks and springs.
Thanks for the info! In paragraph order;

1. Well shoot. There goes my immediate plans to be the old dude in the wagon handing arses to 911's at the PCA autox! They were on the car when I bought it about a month ago, so I'm stuck for now.

2. Probably not worth it if I can't track it just to get the slight rake I want.

3. Not going to waste time on 500 posts, don't have sport package, have - horrors! - 18" wheels of which I'm not a fan, but again, they were on the car, and I want a square 8" wide set of Style 135's, as I thought they looked boss on my ZHP coupe. However in my favor, I do know exactly what to expect from an E46 chassis, as well as most everything back to E12's, having been around the old Blau und weiß for a good while now. But I guess I'm not a candidate for that package. I'll figure something out, but the car has more immediate concerns than whether or not the rear is a skosh higher. ;-)

Greg
325iT
Old 03-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #15
Geo31
Ironman

Hey Greg, you may be able to change to standard race springs in the rear after all. I was just looking at Status Gruppe and they use race springs in the rear. I though the changing angle of the spring seats would present a problem, and this was why other coilover kits didn't use these springs. I may be wrong. Here is an example:

https://statusgruppe.com/collections...s-coilover-kit

Old 03-24-2017, 03:37 PM   #16
otto99

Thanks, George! This forum has been a God send, as everything I've needed to fix on the car has been detailed in a DIY, and I've already saved a grand in labor costs. Although SK has made me leery now of tracking with this set-up, so I may have to wait until I can replace the whole shooting match.

Greg
325iT
Old 03-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #17
Geo31
Ironman

My pleasure Greg. I'd probably be leery of tracking the Ricelands. They are pretty trashy. Rob's rear dampers and a decent set of springs can make the set-up reasonable. I know he's taking a bit of a hiatus from E46F at the moment, but he does look at what's being posted.

I'm still a little leery of using standard race springs in the rear because of the variable angle of the seats as the suspension moves. Race springs don't really accommodate this well, at least I don't think so. I know the Status Gruppe folks have been monitoring another thread in this forum, so maybe if they see this, they can comment. I mean, if they help you out, they may get another customer or two.

BTW, I love your car. I think the 18s look wonderful.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:23 AM   #18
otto99

My issue with the wheels is first of all they desperately need refinishing, and they're 8.5" wide, which is almost too wide for the tires (225/40-18). The tires are Kumhos with the rubber lip that's supposed to keep you from rashing the wheels, but they're so wide the lip of the wheel and the rubber berm are parallel. Not quite stretched, but close to it. Otherwise I think they look OK.

Greg
325iT
Old 03-25-2017, 11:54 AM   #19
Chibo

My Ride: Nothing
http://www.ground-control-store.com/...p/II=711/CA=10
2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000 (Street/Track)
Chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:45 PM   #20
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibo View Post
I LIKE! I need to keep this in mind. I really like two things about this.

1. You can use standard race springs

2. You can adjust it from below

Hard to beat Ground Control. We had them on our Sentra SE-R race car and I had them on my turbo G20 road car.