E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
Robotpants

My Ride: 2000 323i Touring
Nonsport touring, can I use shocks/struts for a sport car?

Just like the title says. My 2000 323iT is basically a base model with a smokers package. It's definitely suspension time as it's on stock set ups at 140k.

I'm shopping around, and I am seeing some options that say made for cars with sport suspension. Since I'm dumping all the old ****, including mounts and such, will it matter if I buy a kit made for a sport package e46?

I'm debating the H&R touring cup kit, the H&R sport cup kit, and the Koni orange with H&R blue springs.

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-32....5L/ES2762769/

I'm not trying to break the bank, just want to refresh the suspension and lower it a tad.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Robotpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
BMW WHP

My Ride: 01 330Ci w/ stick
You should buy the package in your link, can't beat it for $480
BMW WHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:09 AM   #3
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Nonsport touring, can I use shocks/struts for a sport car?

OP don't buy that package that has the sedan springs. H&R makes a touring set with that prevent the rear of the car from sitting slightly lower. The touring has about 200 more pounds then the sedan. More junk in the trunk

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-32...and-R/ES10812/

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-32...cks/ES1866465/

^ this is what you want to buy.

Secondly I would also want to warn you that H&R springs are about 20% more stuff then stock sport spring which if you have standard springs is 30% more stiff. Really look at how shitty your roads are and decide how much of a ride compromise you want to give up. The alternative would be the Eibach pro kit. It's about 10% more stiff then stock sport springs, mild drop and very comfortable. If you look at my signature those are the ones that I have on my ZHP.

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-32...ach/ES2187434/

Now because of the extra weight in the rear of the car I would install the supreme power drop hats. People do run the Eibachs in tourings without issues but like the H&R spring in the kit you posted, the rear will sit a little lower than a sedan.

http://www.supremepower.com/suft015-...perch-bmw.html

Also depending on what you chose would you mind doing doing some measurements? Would be interesting to know the before and after measurements.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=17001956

This thread shows how to do it

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,H&R Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob

Last edited by zander271; 06-19-2016 at 03:12 AM.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:38 AM   #4
Robotpants

Thanks Zander! And yes, I'll definitely measure things and post pics and progress.

This is exactly the kind of response I was looking for. A million thank yous.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:48 AM   #5
Robotpants

I'm still wondering though, be if I have a non sport e46, is it okay to purchase a sport e46 kit... there are just so many options and I can't possibly be the first person with a touring e46 to have this question. I just wish I could get a better result in the search feature.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #6
zander271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotpants View Post
I'm still wondering though, be if I have a non sport e46, is it okay to purchase a sport e46 kit... there are just so many options and I can't possibly be the first person with a touring e46 to have this question. I just wish I could get a better result in the search feature.

Yea you can purchase a sport kit. The springs and dampers are what determines the sport part of the suspension.

I would also look at upgrading the rear shock mounts and getting reinforcement plates for the front and rear.

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,H&R Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob
Old 06-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #7
Robotpants

Planning on the HD Turner RSM's with the metal insert. A friend of mine was really pushing me to do the spherical ball style but I think that those would be overkill and add a lot of noise and vibration.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #8
Robotpants

@zander if I buy the set that you said I shouldn't due to the heaviness of the wagon, will the only negative be ride height? Do you reckon that the ride quality will suffer? I ask because all of the kits I've looked at say that there will be lots of rake... perhaps this is a way around all if that rake? 1.4" up front and .4" in the rear sounds silly.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:57 PM   #9
zander271

The front stock on these car sits higher then the front. Hence the drop in the rear is less on all kits and more in the front. Yes the only negative affect will be the rear sag. Ride quality will not be affected.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:18 PM   #10
BMW WHP

My Ride: 01 330Ci w/ stick
Give a serious look at Streetedge coilovers, there's a huge thread on them and they get great reviews. I think you can get them shipped for 329$.
BMW WHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:45 PM   #11
Robotpants

That sounds like a deal that is entirely too good to be true. I'm interested, though extremely reluctant to trust such an important part of the car to something so inexpensive. Have they worked out the noisiness issue yet? How do they hold up on shitty city streets? Winters on them?