E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
Linx

My Ride: '02 BMW 325iT
Question regarding sway bar bushings

I just installed new Meyle HD control arms and tie rods this past weekend hoping to get rid of all the rattling when driving over uneven roads at slow speeds. While I definitely needed to replace these, I'm still getting some rattling noise. Nowhere near as bad as before but it's there I'm pretty sure it's the sway bar bushings as I now have 126k on the car and pretty sure these are the originals BTW my car is a '02 325 Touring. Did some searching and replacing the bushings seems easy, but there's still something I'm not clear on. The bushing has a hole in the center to fit around the sway bar I'm guessing. But does the bushing have a split in it so you can just push it on to the sway bar or do I have to actually remove the sway bar and slide the bushings through the end? Looking at pictures of the bushings it's hard to determine if there is a split
Linx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
Rob43
Hates Non-Adj. Suspensions

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
They're split.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

NEW E46 Xi COILOVERS DISCOVERED FOR ~$729 SHIPPED
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I have a GREAT/CHEAP source on KONI SPORT Shocks & Struts at the moment !
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
Linx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
They're split.

Rob43
Thank you sir
Old 08-24-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
Rob43
Hates Non-Adj. Suspensions

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Pay very close attention to the end links, typically this is where your noise comes from.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

NEW E46 Xi COILOVERS DISCOVERED FOR ~$729 SHIPPED
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I have a GREAT/CHEAP source on KONI SPORT Shocks & Struts at the moment !
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:24 PM   #5
Linx

When I first started hearing the noise this is where I thought it was coming from. The sway bar links are only about a year old since I got them with my suspension kit. I tried shaking by hand which I know isn't gonna give much results. And then I tried a long screwdriver but didn't really have a good pivot point. I'm gonna replace the swaybar bushings first since I already freshened up the other stuff. If that doesn't work then I'll look into the end links again
Old 08-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld
Sponsor

My Ride: M3/LMR-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linx View Post
When I first started hearing the noise this is where I thought it was coming from. The sway bar links are only about a year old since I got them with my suspension kit. I tried shaking by hand which I know isn't gonna give much results. And then I tried a long screwdriver but didn't really have a good pivot point. I'm gonna replace the swaybar bushings first since I already freshened up the other stuff. If that doesn't work then I'll look into the end links again
Even if you're going to replace the bushings, you might want to put a wrench on the end links and be sure they're tightened regardless. The fact that they're new makes it even more likely that the bolts have loosened up somewhat. I've had end links that make zero noise when hand-testing the them, but still had a bit of room to torque them down... Sound eliminated.

Jonathan
BimmerWorld
Race Proven Performance
www.bimmerworld.com
www.bimmerworldracing.com
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:03 PM   #7
Linx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan @ BimmerWorld View Post
Even if you're going to replace the bushings, you might want to put a wrench on the end links and be sure they're tightened regardless. The fact that they're new makes it even more likely that the bolts have loosened up somewhat. I've had end links that make zero noise when hand-testing the them, but still had a bit of room to torque them down... Sound eliminated.
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you. I'll be sure to do this