E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Running Hot With AC

Yes I've searched. It's about 100 degrees here in SoCal. When I turn my AC in my car runs warm into the 3/4th mark. I understand it could be the fan clutch but it spins perfectly fine. It's not spinning freely or too hard. I even compared to another M3 and it's exactly the same. It only runs warm when I turn the AC on. What else could be the problem? If the fan clutch is bad would it still spin normally? Thanks in advance guys.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
$ilent ///M

My Ride: 03.5 M3 smg lsb
Mike the fan clutch uses a viscous fluid which when gets warm will expand and lock the fan (1:1) check around the clutch to see if its leaking the fan will spin just not as fast if bad. But also if the a/c is on the electric aux fan will always turn on as well. check to see if it turning on when you turn on the a/c
$ilent ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
M3 FOR LIFE

My Ride: BMW M3 E46
I live out in AZ where the weather gets up to 110+... my car does the same thing but only when the A/C Is all the way up ... I just took my car to the dealer for it's inspection 1. Had them look at the car , they told me it's normal for most m3 to do that in hot weather.. Is that true?
M3 FOR LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
illestminimike

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent ///M View Post
Mike the fan clutch uses a viscous fluid which when gets warm will expand and lock the fan (1:1) check around the clutch to see if its leaking the fan will spin just not as fast if bad. But also if the a/c is on the electric aux fan will always turn on as well. check to see if it turning on when you turn on the a/c
Thanks man. I'll check it out. But last time I checked it looked clean and no leaks.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
if you want put in your m3 a 55 degree ter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
Thanks man. I'll check it out. But last time I checked it looked clean and no leaks.
and you should think about puting in your motor ice anti-freece.. that is what the cars who track their cars put in their blocks it lowers the temp. 10 to 20 degrees that would help alot.....
bob
Old 08-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
illestminimike

Was thinking about doing a coolant flush with 60 water 40 coolant and a bottle and of wetter.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
cloudm3

My Ride: 2006 M3 Convertible
I noticed the same thing on my m3 last week when I drove to Northridge. the temperature dial jumped from 1/2 to 3/4 slot. It caught me off guard at first and worried since i thought my Supercharger kit may be causing an issue. eventually I realized that the temp reading only spikes in places where the outside temperature exceeds 100F. It was 110F that day out in the valley. Car runs normal otherwise. Actually I think the car actually runs cooler on account of the SC intercooler setup.
Apex Arc-8 Wheels (F 18x9.5" ET22, R 18x10" ET25) | Hankook RS-3 (F 265/35/18, and R 275/35/18) | Dinan Front Strut Bar | AC Schnitzer Spoiler | AC Schnitzer Pedals and Brake Handle | Eibach Anti-Roll Kit | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Gintani Stage 2 SC Kit (8 lbs) | Brembo Front BBK (355mm) | AutoSolutions Short Shifter (30% reduction kit) | ST Coilover Suspension | Fabspeed Sport Headers | Ground Control Camber Plates | Vis Racing CF GTR Hood
cloudm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
illestminimike

^^^ yes this only happens on days when it's over 100 degrees.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
that is what happens to me to

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
^^^ yes this only happens on days when it's over 100 degrees.
when it is in the high 90'ies with no air blowing when i turn on my a/c in 20 minutes my car beging to over heat. when im in traffic.... on highway im ok..
that is why i got the 55 degree temit. and i use the ice antifreeze... i can drive a good 45 mimutes before car begings to overheat... only in bumper to bumper traffic..... i think it is worth the cost of the ice antifreeze....
bob
Old 08-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
$ilent ///M

be careful in changing componants to hide a problem.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
Verooom

My Ride: 2005 M3 Cabrio
I live in Maryland and we had 100+ degree heat waves a few months back. Same thing happened with the temperature going over the half way. Now the temperature had dropped, temperature haven't past the half way mark.

2005 Carbon Black M3 Convertible
2005 Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG (SOLD)
2007 Ferrari F430 F1
2012 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
Verooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
S54Dan

My Ride: '05 M3 '03 ZHP
Same issue on the road and on the track. I installed the BimmerWorld oil diverter and the issue has not come back since.

2005 M3 6MT | Weekend toy & Track rat
2003 330i ZHP 6MT | Wife Mobile
1994 325i 5MT | DD
Instagram @S54Dan
S54Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
illestminimike

It was about 87 degrees today. Drove for about an hour with the AC on and no overheating. But when I got off the freeway the temp went down to the 1/4 mark. What could it be?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #14
Arfboy

My Ride: 04 M3
I had the same problem in this SoCal heat a few days ago and have avoided using AC since. Hope someone figures this out soon.
Arfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #15
$ilent ///M

have you checked your coolant to water ratio or used a coolant tester to see where your protection level is at. How old is your thermostat and waterpump. condition of your belts. just a few things to look for. the coolant should be flushed about every 2 years. you can also check it with a multimeter put one lead in the coolant and one lead to ground if you get voltage i think like .1v its bad (oxidation of the metal parts inside, something like that)
Old 08-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #16
illestminimike

Just drove home. No AC cus I had the top down and it didn't even move to the middle mark. It's running cold now. I'm thinking thermostat now.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #17
Treb

My Ride: E46
Just must two cents. It only overheats with the A/C on your Auxiliary fan helps to cool the condensor if not working properly will cause overheating issues in higher temps. I'm in lower AL where the humidity is through the roof putting in the high 90-105 almost daily in the summer. Have this a lot.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App
Treb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #18
illestminimike

Why would it run cold now? It'll either run warm or cold at least once every time I drive it.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #19
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
2 things to check, Coolant Specific gravity to see how the coolant to distilled water ratio is doing using a tool you can find at your local auto parts store and/or test electrolysis of the coolant using a DMM.

The first will tell you or get you in the ball park of the coolants freezing point and the second will tell you how the corrosion inhibitors are doing in the Antifreeze formulation after so many miles of heat cycles.

If that is good then I would make sure the engine fan/ aux fans are working as they should when the A/C turns on.

If the thermostat is working then it should open up as set by the DME, on the highway you get airflow to the radiator and oil cooler as you speed the temps normally will stay at a constant or middle of around 90-93C

At Idle you will have the car with little airflow and this is where the engine fan/aux fans come in. As the engine sits the is no airflow so the car warms up, thermostat is open and hot coolant flows through the radiator then fans kick on and temps cool down, this cylce happens over and over while at rest/idle/at a stop until you get moving again. if the temps go above what is normal to the car then we have a coolant performance issue, lower then standard pressure in the system or we have a leak somewhere. Also remember that some oil coolers are also cooled by coolant on some factory applications and at idle the temps do go up higher at idle.

Make sure the fans are good, viscous couplings can fail and a failed fan clutch can look to be working because the fan still spins.
If temps go up at a stop sign or while idle check the fan clutch or aux fan when A/C is on. Most OEM engines are designed to operate at a certain temp range regardless of outside temperatures, if the needle is going beyond the middle then something is wrong.
My needle is in the middle on my 330ci regardless of the temp being 84C-96C

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
illestminimike

Thanks a lot NIVO. I appreciate it. I'm going to play with it today.