E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
Pompeii

My Ride: 330Ci Convertible
Transmission problem?(Previous title-RPM movement)

Hello all
This has been driving me nuts lately. At a stop if I give just enough gas to get from anywhere between 650rpm to about 1100rpm i dont really feel like i get much pickup or movement altho i do move it just not much. Once i get to between 1100 and 1300 i feel significant movement but almost like gunning it kinda. Its like there is no in between movement. its either too slow or gunning.

2nd when im moving along on at a consistant speed i will give it gas to pick up speed from cruising and the rpm moves up depending on how much gas i give. then it drops down slightly then picks up again and is good. but it happens only when i 1st give it gas from stable speed.I dont feel any slipping or anything as far as i can tell but the drop makes me feel like it its shifting wrong or something. it scares the crap out of me making me think my tranny is bad and i need to work on it or something. Now that ive been driving it a while it seems to be consistant when i am stable speed and give it gas it does this.

Both of these related? what can i do to fix?
As far as i know no codes popping up according to a mechanic i went to who said the transmission was good.

2003 330ci convert.

Last edited by Pompeii; 11-07-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: title didnt seem to fit.
Pompeii is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Pompeii

bump
Old 11-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Pompeii

ba dam bump
Old 11-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Automatic or manual?

If manual - check clutch pack

If auto - change trans fluid
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
You may want to try to describe this a different way. Because, with every car I have driven, the RPM's increase when you give it gas. So, you lost me there.

Also, as ^ he said, is it auto, or manual. For some reason, I think you are describing clutch slippage on a manual, but then I read it again, and I think "WTF?"
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:50 AM   #6
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
I used to own an auto. I kinda had the same issue I think. If the car was cold I could be driving about 5 minutes into the drive and I would be doing 2300 rpm at 60, then all of a sudden it would jump up and stay at about 2500 rpm and stay there. If I gave it gas all of a sudden but didn't hit the kick down the rpm's would rise but the car didn't really go any faster and then it would kind of catch up slowly.

I found out during the tranny swap that the torque converter seal was shot. YMMV

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Pompeii

Is automatic. Ya i have been waffling on changing the fluid because of the age of the car.
Basicly if i give it gas the rpm goes up and then drops like 200 rpm even tho my foot has not changed pressure on the pedal then it rises back up to where it spiked b4 the drop and is normal.
ive just not seen that before in all my cars bmw and non bmw alike. ill do the tranny flush and see if that helps. was just wondering if anyone knew before i did that as i hate to have the fun of speeding the tranny to death when it was working fine overall. wasnt sure if it was torque converter or drive shaft issue or injector prob or something thanks guys ^^
Old 11-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
daves325in2012

My Ride: 04 330cic & 00 540i
Mine does the same thing when cold or when using it in demanding highway speeds

Its basically the same thing as TitaniumCranium said, the seals are getting old and just doesnt have a lot of pressure or sealed pressure until either a. it warms up or b. you give it gas so it can raise RPMS, get the pressure, then it will lower rpms and 'catch'

my unit has 136k on it (GM 390r) Fluid and filter were changed and it has only gotten progressively worse and the miles rack on

The fluid/filter may prolong the life, but the underlying problem IS seals not sealing, and hardening over the age of the transmission due to the heat and years

Its a unfortunate scenario
daves325in2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
gusmagoo

My Ride: 325CI coupe M-sport
I think I know what you mean but some people are finding it difficult to imagine... Mine does something similar... Apply gas, it shoots up as it should do (and picks up as expected after a milisecond delay, like most auto's) then comes down 200rpm within half a second or so... Some people might not even notice it but I'm like you but it doesn' really bother me... I'm sure I've had a previous auto with a similar symptom but never did anything about it, has yours only just started doing it or have you only just noticed it???...
Anyway I have other issues with my transmission ( neutral position switch P0705) but I'm having my fluid and filter changed on Tuesday anyway so I'll let you know what difference that makes if any. I've just cleaned my MAF which I doubt had ever been done before and I'm amazed how much better it runs. BTW mine's only done 64K miles... Watch this space...

Last edited by gusmagoo; 11-10-2012 at 11:44 AM.
gusmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
daves325in2012

My Ride: 04 330cic & 00 540i
My girls did it bad but she has a ZF unit, and we changed the fluid 4qts with no pan drop and it still does it just much less and worse on cold starts

My GM unit didn't do it much before pan drop but now that I put on 20k since I got the car its doing it a teeny more since I got the car but its not too bad.

All about how degraded the seals are which directly correlates to how much the fluid is protecting the seals and how much wear you have as a result of how my h the fluid protect the internal parts

So changing it will do good

Just try to let it warm up before you drive it and keep a eye on it and make sure thar whom ever is doing the service knows how to properly fill it once they do the final fill so you don't have low fluid

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
daves325in2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #11
Cheet22

My Ride: E46 323i
I had similar problems recently with my auto. It would seem like the car was adjusting throttle itself and sometimes felt like it was braking too. Changed fluid, no joy. Changed vanos seals, no joy.

Eventually lights starting to come on dash that suggested bad wheel/abs sensor. Dsc light would flicker but only occasionally despite it doing the rpm thing all the time.

So after chnging both rear sensors, its stopped doing it. So i guess the dsc was kicking maybe which adujsts throttle when it thinks it needs to step in.

Log shot i know, but as i say it was the problem for me anyway. Worth maybe just holding down dsc button till brake light comes on to fully disable it, and see if it makes any difference? Doesnt cost to give it a try anyway.
Cheet22 is offline   Reply With Quote