E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #21
djantlive

My Ride: E46 M3
either method is fine

if you get the dents knocked out and repaired, you sure won't notice it. it will be a lot more labor

if you replace with new oem panels, be sure it's welded by a good body shop. parts will be more expensive but labor will be less

cheaper total cost if you have it fixed without replacing the panels. most body shop would prefer changing the parts so they don't tie up all their labor on one car. they can make a good profit on the parts alone, evident by the high parts cost you were quoted.
djantlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #22
floydlloyd85

My Ride: 2002 318 Ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflara20 View Post
I never thought of this!! I have the exact same issue, I hit my quarter panel while in a snow storm here in Chicago. Do you know how much would it cost to "bondo it"?
It would only b a fraction of the price for replacement
floydlloyd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:42 AM   #23
javi330

My Ride: 330Ci
Pictures are in the link at the end of the 1st post. Will take some time later to check out your sugestions and upload the pics directly to the 1st post.

I'm in Baden Württemberg.
javi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #24
javi330

Pictures uploaded directly.

Stinger - the BMW dealer will be doing the work

What do you guys think? Is it really necessary to replace the panel? Yeah... Maybe I'm making a big deal out of this, please understand that I love my cars!

P.S. Yeah, the car is dirty... I really don't like to drive it anywhere, I just take it for a short spin once a week.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #25
stevodotorg

My Ride: 02 325i - Manual
I had my front right fender mashed in from a midget sized pole I didn't see. It really bummed me out, then I found someone local doing a part out.. Got the fender, same color, year, and make for an insane deal, seriously made me so happy, it would have cost me a fortune otherwise

Thanks to all e46fanatics and other BMW forum users, without the community, our wallets would be more empty than they already are.
I do ECU Coding, contact me.
stevodotorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #26
floydlloyd85

The labour cost to repair this will actually be a lot less than they would to replace the full quarter panel. This dent could easily be repaired. If a company says they need to replace the quarter panel for this then they are doing it only to squeeze more money out of the job. A good trades man could fix this and leave it perfect without any problems. But for a man that isnt so skilled... Well thats a risk you may have to take
Old 11-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #27
javi330

Thanks floyd. I'm guessing you would recommend fixing it instead of replacing it (even if the bmw is doing the work) right?

The thing that sucks about it is that the guy from bmw came out, didn't even look close to the damage, and just said "needs to be replaced". Actually 2 different guys (same dealer, different days) said the same thing, one of them actually took a close look.

is replacing the panel the right thing to do here with the chances of having issues in the future being minimal or less than repairing it?

I don't care how much it will cost since I'm not paying for the repairs. I just want what's best for the car based on the damage.

sorry if I'm being a pain in the ass...

Last edited by javi330; 11-09-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #28
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
You shoudn't exerience rust issues if the repair is done properly.
Getting fibers and bondo will never look as new, a new panel will. The only thing you can do after the replacement is get it rust proofed properly by spraying inside the 1/4 panel. If the cost doesn't effect your wallet, you shoudn't worry and go with the PROPER way of fixing this damage.
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #29
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by javi330 View Post
Thanks floyd. I'm guessing you would recommend fixing it instead of replacing it (even if the bmw is doing the work) right?
sorry if I'm being a pain in the ass...
How many times do you need to be told the same thing? You've only got two choices and both will work and are free.
Back in Post #16 I showed you my repaired car after seven years. NO damage and no one has ever noticed that it was repaired. Do you really believe you'll still have your old car seven years from now?

Last edited by Stinger9; 11-09-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #30
floydlloyd85

Anybody that thinks that replacing a full quarter panel is more efficient than filling a relativly small dent dosnt really know what they are talking about. Honestly it would be ok to replace a wing. But a quarter? Look at the comparison between the door and quarter. Door is fvcked. Quarter has a small dent. And The very reason they are are BMW bodyshop is the reason they want to replace the quarter. So they can make as much money as possible. But hey, i suppose thats what the game is all about. So i'l conclude. I would fix it. But its down to you. They might not be good at using filler and end up making a **** job of the repair. Dont say i didnt warn you.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #31
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Warned about both choices?

Mixing the poor guy up completely.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #32
floydlloyd85

Haha i give up. This is possibly the toughest decision in life this guy will ever have to make.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #33
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
32 posts? Bloody hell...
Old 11-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #34
javi330

lol, thank you guys!

sorry, I'm a cynical perfectionist that really loves his cars... I just wanted as much feedback as possible from various sources since I never had an accident in the short 10+ years I been driving and I have no clue about body work.

Like I said before, I plan to keep the car until the wheels fall off.

I will take the car to another shop and see what they say. I would like for them to explain to me whole process before I make my desicion.

I can keep you guys posted if you like, you never know, maybe some other cynical perfectionist that loves his car gets hit in the 1/4 and benefits from this thread :p
Old 11-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #35
floydlloyd85

We gave you so much info you should be able to do the job yourself lol. Jokes. Post some pictures when you get it done and let us know what happens.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #36
stevodotorg

My Ride: 02 325i - Manual
again, get the part numbers of the panels, do an ebay search, call bav auto recycling, and search the part out forums.. did this for a month and I was able to locate a part out with exactly what I needed

Thanks to all e46fanatics and other BMW forum users, without the community, our wallets would be more empty than they already are.
I do ECU Coding, contact me.
stevodotorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #37
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
When reading I would say leave it depending on how noticeable it is. Then I saw the photos. The fender and door need replacement.

Go through insurance and have a new panel welded in there.

Mine is warped in one spot and has a couple small dents (but suprisingly not a deep scratch or paint chip) from a previous parking lot fender bender but with a parking lot hit and run and minimal damage I couldn't imagine filing a claim that would probably total my 2002 model

Last edited by Lusticles; 11-10-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Lusticles is offline   Reply With Quote