E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
drew09

My Ride: 2002 325ci
New Colt 6920 Magpul

Hey guys, I just picked up my first AR; a Colt 6920 with Magpul furniture. I absolutely love it.

Cheers!

Photobucket
drew09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Nice dude!

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
drew09

Reedo, I know you're experienced in firearms so I'm going to ask you for a recommendation on ammo. Can you recommend a good, quality range ammo and a very good defense round? I've read probably way too many opinions and watched too many YouTube videos and can't come to a decision.

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
spencers

My Ride: 2006 330i sport
Nice pick up!

I've been wanting to pick up the magpul hand guards and vertical grip for my Colt 6920. How do you like them?

Last edited by spencers; 12-01-2012 at 02:07 PM.
spencers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Reedo302

Ammunition selection is sort of dependent upon what you can get your hands on. I prefer to shoot with Federal XM193 and similar loads like the American Eagle AR556 (basically the same thing). I tend to prefer to use 5.56x45mm NATO loads as opposed to .223Rem spec ammo due to the higher pressure. On occasion there are deals on XM855 "green tip" ammunition, and that is good stuff too; though you have to be careful to make sure that the facility that you shoot at allows the use of M855/SS109, since it's a penetrator bullet that can damage steel targets and concrete walls. There is other stuff out there for use, like PMC X-TAC 5.56, PMC Bronze, Remington UMC, UltraMax, Winchester USA "white box", etc etc.
The stuff I tell people to avoid at all cost is the Winchester USA Q3131A (the "A" designates foreign-manufactured lots), which is made in Israel. Q3131A is dirty, inaccurate and very unreliable. The Q33269A SS109 ammo is also unreliable. The normal US-manufactured Q3131 (M193 55gr) and Q3269 (M855 62gr) is just dirty stuff that is not all that consistently accurate, but it's more reliable in functioning.
HSM and BVAC ammunition is also a NO-GO. Given the number of complaints I've read of their poor QC and having read about several guns being blown up from over-charged cartridges, I won't ever touch that stuff again. The last time I shot HSM was probably 4 or 5 years ago. I've never shot BVAC.

I also tend to avoid the Eastern European ammunition like the Lithuanian surplus stuff and Prvi Partisan, as I've seen that stuff popping primers. I've heard good reviews of the functionality of Prvi/PPU too, but reviews for accuracy have been generally pretty negative across the board.

Decent stuff to practice with on a budget is steel comm-bloc ammo, but be aware that some kinds are much better quality than others. Wolf/WPA tends to be the best, but it's sort of a trail-and-error process to find what works right in your gun. Steel ammo tends to be harder on extractors, is dirtier overall in the gun, and you have to be more diligent about cleaning your chamber to avoid having cases stick. Hornady steel is good stuff, but it's overpriced and more expensive than brass cased 5.56, so don't bother unless it's the only stuff you can get.

In re defense ammo, it also depends on what you have available to you. It's also a matter of cost, as many loads are very expensive. The best loads to use are bonded JSPs and copper solid JHPs. Loads like the Federal Tactical Bonded JSP TBBC 55gr and 62gr loads, Speer Gold Dot 64gr JSP, and anything using the Barnes TSX bullet (copper JHP) work great. The Black Hills Ammuntion 50gr TSX and any company's 70gr TSX are the two best TSX loads.
Another option is anything using a Nosler or Speer 77gr BTHP/OTM bullet, or Hornady 75gr BTHP.
If you want less penetration, there are a couple loads that work decently that I would recommend, but the limited penetration/urban loads are sort of hit-or-miss with performance depending on what you select. The Federal T223E Tactical TRU 55gr Sierra BTHP, and Federal T223F Tactical TRU 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip are good options for home use and still have lethal capabilities.

Check out this link by Dr. Gary Roberts for a good explanation on HD/duty loads:
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

As an alternative option if you can't get a lot of this stuff, is to look at a couple different hunting loads. The Federal Fusion 62gr JSP hunting load is nearly identical to the Federal Tactical LE223T3 62gr Bonded JSP. The Remington Premier Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded 62gr PSP hunting load is very similar in performance.

What I DO NOT recommend is using FMJs of any kind, because there is no guarantee that they will do anything other than zip right through and over-penetrate. Whether they yaw and deform, or just zip right through is based on numerous factors that are out of your control. With the above-mentioned loads, the performance is consistent and predictable. With FMJ, performance is unpredictable.
I also advise people against using most urban loads, with the exception of the two I listed above. The other Federal TRU options are not as good. Hornady TAP-FPD/Tap Urban ballistic tip bullets are downright terrible and should be avoided at all cost. They will not penetrate deep enough to be lethal in the chest cavity of an adult.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 12-01-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
drew09

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencers View Post
Nice pick up!

I've been wanting to pick up the magpul hand guards and vertical grip for my Colt 6920. How do you like them?
They're awesome! If you pick them up, you'll love them.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
drew09

Reedo, this is what I picked up so far:

Old 12-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Just make sure your range allowed the boxes in the middle and right(m855 penetrator rounds) a lot of indoor ranges and some outdoor places won't allow them. The left 193 is usually gtg everywhere.
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
drew09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Just make sure your range allowed the boxes in the middle and right(m855 penetrator rounds) a lot of indoor ranges and some outdoor places won't allow them. The left 193 is usually gtg everywhere.
Thanks! I appreciate the info!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
Reedo302

All indoor ranges in my area ban M855/SS109 green tip variants because they chew up the backstops.

Otherwise good ammo to use, though. A lot of optics calibrated for 5.56 are calibrated for M855, so having that ammo available is always nice.

Glock Armorer