E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
CrazyHarry

My Ride: 04 325xi, 90 325iX
How to test you AWD system?

So I own a 04 325xi and winter is coming. I'm having doubts that the awd is working correctly. How do I test it?

I also own a 90 325iX. I am used to performing a jack test. Is this possible on a E46.

Also Which is best in snow conditions. Having the DSC on? or off?
CrazyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
Arnezie

My Ride: 04 325XI
Dsc on and why do you have doubts?

Last edited by Arnezie; 11-04-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Arnezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Yeah just put it on jack stands. Or wait till it snows and see how it handles. You should easily be able to tell if its awd by going to a parking lot and messing around.
Dsc on for sure!! Unless you get stuck and need to get out. Then turn it off.
Dsc is a pretty good traction control. It will use each brake individually to keep you on the correct path
Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
CrazyHarry

I have doubts because I just did a transmission fluid change, and while the car was up in the air (it was on a shop lift) we put it in to drive and only the rear wheels moved.

I lived in Tahoe for many years where it can really snow. I was always told that in conditions where there was 4"+ on the ground to turn DSC off, so as to make the car 4x4.

My E30 325iX does not have a traction control system, and performs very well in the snow. So that is why I'm questioning the DSC on my E46
Old 11-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHarry View Post
I have doubts because I just did a transmission fluid change, and while the car was up in the air (it was on a shop lift) we put it in to drive and only the rear wheels moved.
Dreamliner330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
theviking

My Ride: 330XI R1200C
transfer case sent all power to rear wheels. ("weak" part of our awd system, since you can't lock it and force power to all 4 wheels)
while on the lift, pull the parking brake gently and the fronts should start spinning...
Old 11-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
latitude39

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by theviking View Post
transfer case sent all power to rear wheels. ...
while on the lift, pull the parking brake gently and the fronts should start spinning...
I concur with theviking.

DSC makes a big difference in my car on snow-pack. When it's on (dash light not illuminated) the ride is stable. But when off the car doesn't handle so well. It's very noticeable, at least with my all-season tires. DSC impresses me as a good system. Doughnuts in the snow-covered parking lot is impossible with DSC. Just click it off when you want to play.

Testing with the wheels hanging in space seems to work without ill effect on the E46 but on the E60 (2004+ 5-series) "xi" models the front axles make an alarming thumping sound, with a corresponding alarming physical sensation, when the front wheels turn. I think this is the inboard CV joints flexing beyond normal range and being forced to turn while in that contorted angle. I don't think it's a good thing to do on E60 vehicles. CV half-shaft re-builders warn against spinning free-hanging wheels with CV joints. Our E46 systems seem to be forgiving.
latitude39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
you dont need to test it. if ANY of the axles is disconnected, your car will be undrivable.
its not like the E90's where there is a clutch in the middle so it still drives with the front disconnected. your old E46 AWD system has a diff in the middle so if any of the axles is disconnected, it will not move.
as for DSC, it actually corrects understeering and oversteering by applying brakes individually so I would leave it on.

Last edited by jasonbimmer; 11-05-2012 at 10:53 AM.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
^ This. The system is entirely geared with no belts/clutches/whatever in between (other than your trans clutch if you have one that is). If your AWD isn't working, you'll know it in the rather concerning sound of gears grinding and metal chunks breaking off. Should be pretty obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHarry View Post
I lived in Tahoe for many years where it can really snow. I was always told that in conditions where there was 4"+ on the ground to turn DSC off, so as to make the car 4x4.
DSC only goes off when you either want to play or have a metric sh!t ton of snow to go through. 4" is nothing and the car should handle that with ease. Once you get up to 10"+ is when you turn the DSC off and floor it. Funny thing is that if you truly get stuck, try to get out with the DSC on at least a couple times. It helps to spin the wheels that need to spin.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-05-2012 at 08:35 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
CrazyHarry

Thank you all, tested the system using theviking method. Working out great thank you everyone!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
Sammy325xi

My Ride: 05 325xi Dark Green
Always had the same question I always leave the dsc on but I recently took my car to balance and my tires are no good so I will get new tires this season and see how it drives can't wait for it to snow
Sammy325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #12
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Cover the street with banana peels.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
s1am

My Ride: 325iX-325XiT-325XiT
Glad to hear the xi is working. I own several E30 iXs and a pair of E46xi wagons. The E46 DSC is good at keeping you going where you want and the car will make good traction up to a point. Definitely do not expect it to be the traction monster that your E30iX is though. We have a really steep driveway and routinely get 12" plus snow storms. The only time I have ever gotten stuck in the iX was when there was so much snow that the car got belly hung. I can start at the bottom of my steep driveway covered in a foot of snow with the iX and just claw my way up every time. The xi on the other hand sometimes requires several runs on the driveway (even with DSC off). Don't get me wrong, the E46 is a real nice car and the awd system is much more refined than that of the E30. It will do a lot of work for you that the E30 will not. Obviously, I like it or I wouldn't own two. Just set your raw traction expectations differently.
s1am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
the reason why I say keep your DSC on is because it utilizes brakes to shift power front to back and side to side. without it, you just sending the power to the wheel that has the lease amount of grip. thats why you get stuck without DSC on.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote