E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #21
GSchneider

My Ride: 06 325xi
Or this one?
http://www.autogallerychicago.com/we...inois/4409620/
GSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #22
straight_beamin

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
Nice ride, if u pull the trigger follow mangos new to e46 thread. Change the fluids, do fcabs and other bushings and cooling system. My car has around the same mileage and that is when stuff starts to show usage. Especially the suspension
Old 11-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #23
Zardoz33

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSchneider View Post
I found another one. What you guys think?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&&aff=national
Apple Chevy is close to Orland Park, where Bavarian Auto Werk (ask for Ryan if you call) is located. He can check the car out for you before you buy it.

Take it from me, a Chicagoland area resident that spent around 2 months either going to/calling countless lots/dealers in my general area before I bought my 325xi: be wary of small dealerships or places like Auto Gallery Chicago that was listed in a previous post. A lot of those small places are owned by Russians, Europeans, etc. and basically....they're full of ****. Not only do we have some of the best corrupt politicians in the nation residing in this glorious state, we also have some of the worst dealerships.

GSchneider, if you want me to look around for you let me know what years you're interested in and your price point.

Last edited by Zardoz33; 11-09-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Zardoz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #24
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46alfonso View Post
Take a hike to the dealer, skip the xi and eyeball the s4 .
http://www.elitemotorsonline.com/web...inois/1126365/

Its a far better car. Mine made it over 200k without issues and it was an auto. Stock vs. stock i bet that thing would rape a 330xi at the drag strip, track even autox (flame suit on).
hahahaa, having worked at a euro shop we had a whole section of blowed up b5 s4s. Not saying e46s are really awesome quality either, just much easier to DIY.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #25
bimmerman11

My Ride: 2005 330Xi
Send a message via AIM to bimmerman11
I believe the listing said it has leatherette. That clearly is not the Premium Package. Also, why does the listing say Moonroof with a price and then Premium Package with another price (more $$$) for the same moonroof?
bimmerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #26
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
^ If you made it over 200k miles in an S4 without any issues either you're the luckiest person alive or are lying. Those cars are the poster childs of unreliability, well them and Land Rovers.
I had it for 3 years/50k miles and never replaced a belt lol, just oil changes with rotella t6. That car never left me stranded unlike the xi which did twice ( the front diff ran dry, the hydraulic belt tensioner broke) and both times were far away from home. When its alternator failed at 200k i replaced it with an autozone part which only lasted a week. A new alternator from the dealer was $700 which wasn't worth the money and the effort to pull the whole front of the car again to replace it, redbull325is knows what i'm talking about. Also found out that it had a blown turbo so i got rid of it.
see where the alt. is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	torndown.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	477586  
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #27
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
GSchneider, be patient and find the perfect car. Sport seats are a must. With flat seats you will have more body roll than the car does.
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #28
GSchneider

Do you guys from your experience normally run into more issues if it's a manual or automatic.
Its to help me decide which one I want. I have been driving manual for 8 years now but a automatic for downtown milwaukee and the traffic also be nice.
Any opinions ?
Old 11-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #29
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
BMw claims for the auto, the ATF is lifetime-Not so. The 1st thing you should do is change the ATF & filter. I did it at 97K and the trans is smoother & shifts better than when I bought it @ 52K.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #30
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
All XI's have their autos made by GM where the rear wheel drives use the euro made ZF flavor. The ZF has been reported to eat reverse drums and have more issues then the GM unit. The good news is, an XI transfer case is gear driven and bullet proof.

Comparing manuals to automatics is subjective to how the car is driven and taken care of. Manuals will need clutch work no matter what. Autos need servicing with fluid replacement as Rickna points out. If 200K is a reasonable goal, then either most likely can make it as many have ran the GM autos into that range. It comes down to what you want as a driver. I have an auto by choice and enjoy the smooth shifting and useful "Sport" mode. The hard cores will point out the 5% performance loss with autos. Not a concern to me as Auto-X or Ricky Racer driving is not my thing.

Don't fear a replacement auto as a purchase decision. Both manuals or autos can break. Both will cost big bucks. Some will say autos are more expensive to replace or rebuild. True, but at 200K the car is basically toast anyway. A friend at work just ate an '03 Tahoe trans. That thing was at 120K and cost $2,700 to repair. All modern autos are expensive not just Euro cars. Sorry manual lovers but your third pedals are quickly going away. Paddle shifters and CVT's are taking over the market. The basic target buyer for new sport luxury sedans likely will want an auto over manual. It's very hard to find a manual XI in my area. Very few special ordered them and the dealers don't stock them on the lots. Mercedes doesn't even offer a manual in this class. The buyer market dictates the need for retaining manual shifting as an option. Miata buyers are safe for awhile.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #31
GSchneider

Around what mileage do you start seeing alot of issues happening to the car?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #32
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
I found another one. What you guys think?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&&aff=national
Looks good to me if manual is what you're after.

Quote:
I would pass on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerman11 View Post
I believe the listing said it has leatherette. That clearly is not the Premium Package. Also, why does the listing say Moonroof with a price and then Premium Package with another price (more $$$) for the same moonroof?
The listing also states manual seats, is that true as well?

Also, seats are clearly real leather. You can tell by the fold on the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46alfonso View Post
I had it for 3 years/50k miles and never replaced a belt lol, just oil changes with rotella t6. That car never left me stranded unlike the xi which did twice ( the front diff ran dry, the hydraulic belt tensioner broke) and both times were far away from home. When its alternator failed at 200k i replaced it with an autozone part which only lasted a week. A new alternator from the dealer was $700 which wasn't worth the money and the effort to pull the whole front of the car again to replace it, redbull325is knows what i'm talking about. Also found out that it had a blown turbo so i got rid of it.
see where the alt. is
So things did break.

I've had my E46 for 3 years and 75k miles now and it hasn't left me even close to stranded at all. Also running same belts.

Edit: Holy **** that's far in there. That's like the middle of the earth!

Quote:
Do you guys from your experience normally run into more issues if it's a manual or automatic.
Its to help me decide which one I want. I have been driving manual for 8 years now but a automatic for downtown milwaukee and the traffic also be nice.
Any opinions ?
I drive a manual through traffic every day. You get used to it pretty quick. Traffic in MKE isn't that bad anyway but to each their own.

Quote:
Anywhere from 1 mile all the way to 120k miles. Also, define "issues". It depends on the specific car and is impossible to tell without owning it or knowing concrete service history.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-11-2012 at 10:03 PM.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #33
GSchneider

SamDoe1 thanks a lot for all of this good info! I feel a lot more confident going into buying one soon.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #34
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
to touch on the auto vs manual debate, i've driven many 2.5 & 3.0 xi and this is the way I rate them:
1. 6 speed in the later 330xi
2. auto
3. 5 speed (mainly due to the first few gears making the car "feel" heavy off the line)

My auto has had ~300ish flywheel hp & 250 tq thrown at it for a while, no complaints. I would, however suggest reprograming them with the latest firmware and replacing the fluid with D4 ATF from redline along with a fresh german filter.

Last edited by redbull 325is; 11-12-2012 at 03:08 PM.
redbull 325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #35
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
10...J/K About 50-70K.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote