E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
sfcjetjr

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Dealer info on oem amplifier

Called closest dealer today for technical specs for out put frequencies to specific speakers, and the best they could say was bring it in and they would be able to tell me after hooking it up for a price of course! Does anyone have data or link to data that would break down this info? I have wore out my pad searching for this! 2002 325i 10 speaker hi fi non hk. Thanks...
sfcjetjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
sfcjetjr

I did find out today that the door bass speakers are 7 ohm and rated for 50 to 7000 hz. Nipping away at puzzle.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Hmmmm, 7 ohms? I'm not doubting your funding, but I find it odd that the speakers are 7 ohms while the other speakers appear to be two or 3 ohms.

Did you check the Bavarian Sound Works website?
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
sfcjetjr

Me too now it was the dealer who gave me the info. And I seen the screen when asking about all the specifics! Could be why my 4 ohm replacement is not acting right. May be pulling too much power from amp at given hz range.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcjetjr View Post
I did find out today that the door bass speakers are 7 ohm and rated for 50 to 7000 hz. Nipping away at puzzle.
That doesn't sound right at all.
Also im pretty sure 7 ohms isn't a think on speakers. Maybe I'm wrong
Old 11-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
sfcjetjr

Just called different dealer and they could not tell anything, and the second dealer was higher priced than first one called. Tired of looking for all this info just to do a little updating on a budget. I mean the car is in great shape and runs fabulous but really not wanting to spend hundreds on updating speakers on an almost 11 year old car. But seems no one has the definitive answer to these questions. They can tell you the torque on door panel screw but not audio specifics! Audio shops want tell what they know, dealership can answer questions, google cant find it, and no one here seems to be able to be specific.

Last edited by sfcjetjr; 11-09-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
The speakers should be labeled in ohms on the back. The e30 and e36 speakers are.
However you should start with the amp. That's how you'll be able to figure out your specs and specs needed.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
sfcjetjr

I can measure resistance with multimeter. What I'm really curious about, along with others, is the frequency a that the amp sends to each driver. It's like Top Secret. Even people who sell component upgrades give the I don't know answer. I even called BMWUSA, and they would or could only quote the owners manual. Industry trade secret?
Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
sfcjetjr

I could break the amp down and figure out by finding the individual components, but damn!
Old 11-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
benzovs

My Ride: 2000 323i
Tearing the amp apart would most likely not give you the answer you are looking for. I know of a way for you to figure out the x-over point for the front door speaks though. If you have access to an oscilloscope then you can hook it up to the amps output for the front speaks. Then you would have to play single frequencies through the factory radio one by one until you reached the point where the slope was starting to drop off.

For example: I have a cd from Focal and another from Jl audio that I use to line level match amps for my customers so that they don't overdrive their speakers. These cds have about 15 tracks and each track is a single frequency. So track one would be 50 hz, 2 would be 63 hz, track 5 would be 800 hz, track 11 would be 7500 hz and so on and so forth. You would play these tracks one by one and watch your oscilloscope to see when the output of the amp began to drop off. Thats when you have reached the x-over cutoff point. You should be able to come within 10-20 hz on the low end and 500 hz on the high end. Of course you can get much closer if you use a broader spectrum of frequencies.

You say the dealer told you 7 ohm and 50 - 7000..... well all of my speakers measure really close to 3 ohms and 50 - 7000 is almost full range. You can figure it out. If you have access to a scope, getting the frequencies is super easy. You can download them online and play them through and ipod or aux input or burn them to a cd.
benzovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
tttomttt

My Ride: 2003 330xi
I may be wrong but could you not use an impedance meter to find out the the resistance through the speaker?
tttomttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
sfcjetjr

Your absolutely correct. Yeah I know the whole o-scope thing, but with this. Forum being around as long as it has, you would think this info would be at someone's "expert" finger tips.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
MojoJoe

My Ride: leaks fluids
ScottJoh has already done the hard work for you. That is for the HiFi (non HK) amp, but is probably a good reference.
Edit: Just realised that you were looking for the HiFi amp anyway...

Last edited by MojoJoe; 11-12-2012 at 05:27 PM.
MojoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
sfcjetjr

MojoJoe, your the man!!!! I knew this was out there somewhere! This information can really help DIYer's DIY it. Instead of relying on a company to supply everything they think you need, you can actually pick and choose what fits the system, and your budget! My biggest enjoyment is seeing the raw data! Call me a geek! I'm not one to put stuff on just because "they" said it would sound great. If it is broke, go straight to the bone and see what makes it tick! That is why I love working on these pieces or art! Take the colors off one layer at a time and see what the artist intention was. And to scottjoh, that is one of about the most 5 useful pieces of information to come from this forum! IMO anyway. Salute to you! Like a kid on Christmas!

Last edited by sfcjetjr; 11-12-2012 at 07:29 PM.