E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
farukh

My Ride: BMW 325i 2002
Why my crankcase vent hose has oil in it?

Hey guys!

Well, my car started smoking again! And it smokes the burned oil.

No, its not the VCG, VC. No, its not the oil separator. (although... read further please...)

However, when I removed the crankcase vent hose it had a little oil in it. Should there be an oil in there? Isn't it just for air? Not sure about it.
Also, obviously there was oil on spark plugs. Not in spark plug holes, but on spark plugs.
I did my oil separator couple months ago and it fixed my heavy smoking that I had when my car got warm, but now it start smoking a little again.

So my final two questions are: Should there be oil in the hose that goes from oil separator to the valve cover (is it normal)? And, what can be another reason, besides bad VCG, piston rings and bad oil separator... to burn oil?

I think I might even have another question lol since I just changed my oil separator and put brand new from the dealer... can the new one go bad so fast.. and if yes, why???

Thanks guys

Last edited by farukh; 11-08-2012 at 07:17 PM.
farukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
farukh

Anyone!? I am confused! Everything points to the oil separator again.. but I just replaced it! And I should mention, that after I replaced it, the car was running perfect for couple months! No smoke! Until past few days
Old 11-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
My325XI

My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
When you changed out the oil separator, did you change out the related CCV hoses, dipstick hoses, etc... Could be a clog somewhere in the hoses.

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Barneyhyphen

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
Check the rubber hose that comes off the bottom of the seperator is intact and not rotted away.

BH
Barneyhyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
farukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by My325XI View Post
When you changed out the oil separator, did you change out the related CCV hoses, dipstick hoses, etc... Could be a clog somewhere in the hoses.
Yes! All the hoses from the oil separator were also new from the dealer!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
farukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneyhyphen View Post
Check the rubber hose that comes off the bottom of the seperator is intact and not rotted away.

BH
I had that! But that was fixed together with the oil separator. Now all of that stuff is new!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
Barneyhyphen

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
The engine (2000 323, 147k) I just did the HG on was FULL of semi-solidified sludge/coal. Could the inlet on the side of the valve cover, to which the separator pipe attaches, be clogged with sludge?

Take a look at my "sludge?" posting from last month to get an idea what the inside of the top end COULD look like.

BH
Barneyhyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
farukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneyhyphen View Post
The engine (2000 323, 147k) I just did the HG on was FULL of semi-solidified sludge/coal. Could the inlet on the side of the valve cover, to which the separator pipe attaches, be clogged with sludge?

Take a look at my "sludge?" posting from last month to get an idea what the inside of the top end COULD look like.

BH

My Valve Cover is also brand new... Just installed it couple weeks ago.
But, now that you mentioned the sludge... I am thinking: I did not do an oil change after I replaced my oil separator (even though my oil was not that bad, since I had it leaking and constantly refilling, BUT I several times used the crap that they sell in auto parts, that supposedly seals the leaks, which you add to your oil.) Do you think that might be the reason of my troubles? Can it clog up the hose? If it did, that freaking sucks! Because now I will probably have to replace the whole damn oil separator kit. And plus, I need to figure out the way to flush that crap out of my engine.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Your dipstick tube may be clogged up where the lower CCV oil return hose connects to it??

The original dipstick tubes were double walled near the bottom to allow the oil from the CCV to drain back and not interfere with the dipstick. This caused a lot of problems as this dipstick double wall would easily clog up.

You have 2 options if your dipstick tube is clogged.

1. Remove the existing dipstick tube and clean it out using wire, carb cleaner and compressed air.

2. Buy a new, replacement, single wall dipstick tube and also buy a new dipstick as some of the tubes differ in length. This new single wall dipstick tube is less likely to clog in the future.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
I would check your DISA valve, a leak in that system will cause you burn oil and cause oil to collect in your CCV, I just changed mine for that very issue. Just my two and a half cents worth...
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #11
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
this is normal.

your CCV is design to tackle blow by and the associated problems caused by blow by such as pressure in the crankcase. the high pressure will cause small amount of oil to move around the CCV but the CCV will drain that oil back into the dipstick guide and thus back to your oil pan. the excess air/fuel mixture will get redistributed back into the intake manifold and thus back into the combustion chamber. the CCV also have a check valve that prevent these flamable fumes to ignite backward toward the intake manifold.

so to make a long story short...CCV will always have oil (this is why they are also known as oil seperator). this is why you will see an oil catch can for after market CCV/PCV

the answer: yes there SHOULD be oil in that hose that connects to the valve cover to the CCV

Last edited by flashmeow; 11-08-2012 at 09:36 PM.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #12
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
this is normal.
+1

OP, rings and valve stem seals are the only other logical things that would cause burning oil. Can you post a picture of your plugs? That is worth a thousand words.

Also, are you using oil?

Last edited by lcoleman; 11-09-2012 at 12:25 AM.
lcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #13
vimal32

My Ride: BMW E46 320i
Guys, this might seem stupid, but is there a way to test the CCV?
I know about the oil Cap removal test, i did it and my ccv seems fine from that test result - No weird noise and there is a slight suction.

Is there any other tests that can help rule out the CCV, like removing the crankcase vent hose from the top of the crankcase and driving around.
I know this isnt the ideal thing to do, but hey its a test, what could go wrong?

My logic is if there is a blockage somewhere related to the CCV or its hoses, by disconnecting the crankcase vent hose from the top, you will be relieving any pressure there is in the crankcase.
when disconnecting the crankcase vent hose, and letting the engine idle, should I feel any air coming out of the crankcase hole?

Ok, so maybe this test might have to be done for a longer term to see if it helps with oil consumption in any way.

your thoughts?
vimal32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
farukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Your dipstick tube may be clogged up where the lower CCV oil return hose connects to it??

The original dipstick tubes were double walled near the bottom to allow the oil from the CCV to drain back and not interfere with the dipstick. This caused a lot of problems as this dipstick double wall would easily clog up.

You have 2 options if your dipstick tube is clogged.

1. Remove the existing dipstick tube and clean it out using wire, carb cleaner and compressed air.

2. Buy a new, replacement, single wall dipstick tube and also buy a new dipstick as some of the tubes differ in length. This new single wall dipstick tube is less likely to clog in the future.

Got it! I will try to clean it up today! I very very thoroughly cleaned it when I was doing my oil separator DIY... But oh well, let see if that's the case.
What do you personally think could cause the clog ups? Maybe I should change the oil? Although, when I was replacing my VC, the oil in there seemed nice and clean. I will check my oil filter today as well.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #15
farukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
I would check your DISA valve, a leak in that system will cause you burn oil and cause oil to collect in your CCV, I just changed mine for that very issue. Just my two and a half cents worth...
+1 for DISA valve, I forgot to mention that! BUT, I fixed my problem with the DISA several months ago too...
Old 11-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #16
farukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
this is normal.

your CCV is design to tackle blow by and the associated problems caused by blow by such as pressure in the crankcase. the high pressure will cause small amount of oil to move around the CCV but the CCV will drain that oil back into the dipstick guide and thus back to your oil pan. the excess air/fuel mixture will get redistributed back into the intake manifold and thus back into the combustion chamber. the CCV also have a check valve that prevent these flamable fumes to ignite backward toward the intake manifold.

so to make a long story short...CCV will always have oil (this is why they are also known as oil seperator). this is why you will see an oil catch can for after market CCV/PCV

the answer: yes there SHOULD be oil in that hose that connects to the valve cover to the CCV

Well, that kind of makes sense... But then why does it get on to my spark plugs? I will take a picture of them today... Although there is really nothing much to see, except the burned, all black spark plug (the part that screws in) with excess amount of oil on it. There shouldn't be any oil on the spark plug at all!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #17
farukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
+1

OP, rings and valve stem seals are the only other logical things that would cause burning oil. Can you post a picture of your plugs? That is worth a thousand words.

Also, are you using oil?
I will post the pics today! What do you mean by "am I using oil"? lol using oil for what?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #18
farukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vimal32 View Post
Guys, this might seem stupid, but is there a way to test the CCV?
I know about the oil Cap removal test, i did it and my ccv seems fine from that test result - No weird noise and there is a slight suction.

Is there any other tests that can help rule out the CCV, like removing the crankcase vent hose from the top of the crankcase and driving around.
I know this isnt the ideal thing to do, but hey its a test, what could go wrong?

My logic is if there is a blockage somewhere related to the CCV or its hoses, by disconnecting the crankcase vent hose from the top, you will be relieving any pressure there is in the crankcase.
when disconnecting the crankcase vent hose, and letting the engine idle, should I feel any air coming out of the crankcase hole?

Ok, so maybe this test might have to be done for a longer term to see if it helps with oil consumption in any way.

your thoughts?

Read this http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616
This is a thread by jfoj! It helped me solve my problems with my oil separator. And my problems were horrible!
First of all, my car was driving like crap for several months because I couldn't find a vacuum leak... Thanks to jfoj, I found out that the hose from my oil sep to dipstick is broken in half. Also, after I replaced that hose, I found out, again thanks to jfoj, that my oil separator is faulty, because everytime my oil got boiling the oil sep was sending the oil (and ALOT of oil) somewhere, where it shouldn't have, and my car was smoking... Imagine the worst possible amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust.... It was smoking worse then that!
So really, besides the small symptoms... if your oil sep goes bad, you will know it lol
I don't think you car really test it by disconnecting hoses or opening the oil cap... BUT, if you looks at it and looks messed up and oily like my did, probably its time to change
Old 11-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #19
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by farukh View Post
Well, that kind of makes sense... But then why does it get on to my spark plugs? I will take a picture of them today... Although there is really nothing much to see, except the burned, all black spark plug (the part that screws in) with excess amount of oil on it. There shouldn't be any oil on the spark plug at all!
well that means the engine is burning oil excessively. either piston rings are leaking very bad (compression test), or the oil is getting into the engine from the intake.
the hose has oil in it is normal because thats what it's for - collecting oil vapor.

Last edited by jasonbimmer; 11-09-2012 at 09:27 AM.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #20
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
Originally Posted by farukh View Post
I will post the pics today! What do you mean by "am I using oil"? lol using oil for what?
Is the engine burning/consuming the oil. ie. does the level on the dipstick go down.