E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #21
farukh

My Ride: BMW 325i 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Is the engine burning/consuming the oil. ie. does the level on the dipstick go down.
Oh ok, lol well, a little bit... But just a little bit!
farukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #22
farukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
well that means the engine is burning oil excessively. either piston rings are leaking very bad (compression test), or the oil is getting into the engine from the intake.
the hose has oil in it is normal because thats what it's for - collecting oil vapor.
I did my compression test before I changed the oil separator couple of months ago and it was good. Why would the oil get through the intake?
And I am glad that it is normal for the hose to have some oil in it... it makes sense. I was worried that my oil separator is going bad again for some reason.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #23
Patrick- BMWPartsSource
Internet Sales

My Ride: n/a
if there is anything i can do to help please don't hesitate to email me. i have BMW certified master technicians on staff to answer any questions.
info@bmwpartssource.com

BMWPartssource.com
Patrick- BMWPartsSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #24
vimal32

My Ride: BMW E46 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by farukh View Post
Read this http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616
This is a thread by jfoj! It helped me solve my problems with my oil separator. And my problems were horrible!
First of all, my car was driving like crap for several months because I couldn't find a vacuum leak... Thanks to jfoj, I found out that the hose from my oil sep to dipstick is broken in half. Also, after I replaced that hose, I found out, again thanks to jfoj, that my oil separator is faulty, because everytime my oil got boiling the oil sep was sending the oil (and ALOT of oil) somewhere, where it shouldn't have, and my car was smoking... Imagine the worst possible amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust.... It was smoking worse then that!
So really, besides the small symptoms... if your oil sep goes bad, you will know it lol
I don't think you car really test it by disconnecting hoses or opening the oil cap... BUT, if you looks at it and looks messed up and oily like my did, probably its time to change
Thanks for the info.
I guess the CCV needs to be changed on my car - i already got the parts, now to summon the energy for this DIY.
vimal32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:36 AM   #25
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
For the OP...if you added anti-leak stuff repeatedly to the oil, that could cause issues. I can't say what issues exactly, but I don't think it'd be good.

What product did you use and how much of it? If you haven't drained the oil since using it, I certainly would. Not only does that stuff clog leaks, but it could gunk up other things that you don't want clogged up...like, say, the guidetube. Also, someone asked what oil you were using...and using the right oil does make a difference.

Does your oil say "approved bmw LL-01" on the bottle? If so, that's fine, but you should still change it to get that leak stuff out of there.

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #26
farukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vimal32 View Post
Thanks for the info.
I guess the CCV needs to be changed on my car - i already got the parts, now to summon the energy for this DIY.
I'll be honest: It is easier than it looks or than everybody else says lol The hardest part for me was to find couple of bolts that hold the wire harness. Just use the small mirror and that will save you a lot of time!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #27
farukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
For the OP...if you added anti-leak stuff repeatedly to the oil, that could cause issues. I can't say what issues exactly, but I don't think it'd be good.

What product did you use and how much of it? If you haven't drained the oil since using it, I certainly would. Not only does that stuff clog leaks, but it could gunk up other things that you don't want clogged up...like, say, the guidetube. Also, someone asked what oil you were using...and using the right oil does make a difference.

Does your oil say "approved bmw LL-01" on the bottle? If so, that's fine, but you should still change it to get that leak stuff out of there.

Yea, I was completely reckless with that crap... But that was before I became a member of this forum and before I became a DIYer I ordered the original BMW oil yesterday. I will certainly clean up the drain hose and also the drain holes on the dipstick tube. Hopefully that will solve my problem!
I used the LUCAS and some other one from Walmart