E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
screamotaku

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Clicking noise in my 330ci's clutch. Any ideas on the cause?

Hey I've been noticing a clicking noise in the clutch on my 2001 5-speed 330ci when I go to depress the clutch. I've been doing some searching around the forum to try to figure the problem out but to no avail.

Whenever I push the pedal towards the floor it makes a ticking noise and I can kind of feel it in the pedal. It also goes along with a squeak (the squeak has been there for a while).

The car has 126,xxx miles on it. I'm assuming it's either a problem with the slave cylinder or the throw out bearing, although I'm hoping for a cheaper solution.

Is there anyone who has had this issue and been able to solve it? I would love to know what the issue might be.
screamotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
The slave cylinder would be a relatively cheap and simple fix, but that is not the typical mode of failure. It definitely sounds like an issue with the throw-out bearing, or the release lever. Unfortunately, as you probably know, there is no real fix or way to inspect it other than dropping the transmission.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #3
screamotaku

Ah shoot... yeah that's what I was afraid of... Oh well. I got the extended warranty for a reason. Hopefully whatever it is, it'll be covered under that.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
Sounds similar to what happened to mine early on. It was under the original warranty, and the dealer dropped the transmission to fix the throwout bearing.

If you're on the original clutch, it's probably pretty worn by now, so it may not be long before you're up for a clutch job anyway. I would start by getting the clutch wear measured, and if it's approaching the end of its life, I would bite the bullet and do the clutch job, along with throwout bearing and rear mainshaft seal. If it's not that worn, you have a more difficult decision.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Mine's been doing the same thing. My research leads me to believe it might be the pressure plate. Lately it hasn't been clicking as much though. I'm really tempted to just wait until it fails since the clutch grabs perfectly fine otherwise.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
It definitely sounds like a bearing. Either the pilot bearing or the throw-out bearing. Either way the transmission has to come out. Might plan on replacing both.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:31 AM   #7
screamotaku

Thanks for all of the responses! I'm new to owning a BMW and it's nice to be a part of a forum where people know what they're talking about.

But yeah, it's due for a new clutch soon so I may just have to have my mechanic do all of that when I get it done. I'm sure as hell not dropping the tranny out myself

Anyways thanks for all of the input. Apparently I need to get my diff mounts done as well seeing as one of them has a crack in it

Oh well, one problem at a time. I'll be easy on her for now. Any drawback's on driving on a worn out throw out bearing for a bit? About how long can I be driving on it before any other damage may be caused? (assuming I drive it carefully)
Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
The diff mount isn't urgent. As it gets worse you'll probably get some clunking as you go between forward and reverse. There's a fair amount of work, even if you do it the same time as the clutch.

Tags
330ci, clicking noise, clutch, clutch noise, noise