E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #21
eph6jonprice

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
So that's a post cat 02 sensor efficiency code.

Had you messed around with 02 sensors recently...and/or anything like headers?
Yeah, replaced all four O2 sensors trying to get rid of the code :-/
eph6jonprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #22
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by eph6jonprice View Post
Yeah, thanks dmax, I'll prob just end up trying to split the line since I'm assuming it was put there for some reason, whether good or bad... just wondering what the heck it is, and what else I might understand about what was done to this car before I got it!
yea, please, no splitting of lines.

When mango gets like this, it's best to just do what he says!

In terms of the hoses behind intake mani...you can see pictures of that in my 'intake manifold' thread. I think flashtwosix posted some pictures of her intake mani setup for me...might help you...but you don't want to randomly connect or plug stuff up.

Take your time as mango said. Although he's a fruit, the mango is probably among the most sophisticated...right up there with kiwi, I think.

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #23
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I would get the F-connector line going to the correct place by itself first. Then you will only have 1 thing wrong. I would then find where the cylinder line is supposed to go to, though it probably doesn't matter since that exhaust valve isn't really needed anyway. Mine doesn't even work anymore, though maybe the PO golf teed it.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #24
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I would get the F-connector line going to the correct place by itself first. Then you will only have 1 thing wrong. I would then find where the cylinder line is supposed to go to, though it probably doesn't matter since that exhaust valve isn't really needed anyway. Mine doesn't even work anymore, though maybe the PO golf teed it.
Like I said it isn't needed--you are right about that. however the other end of that canister plugs into the manifold. If that port is not sealed, you will be taking in unmetered air (vacuum leak) so it needs to be dealt with correctly. DMAX i am not sure the 323/328 comes with that exhaust flap so i am not sure your manifold pictures would show where that line goes.

i'm sure that info is out there somewhere.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #25
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Like I said it isn't needed--you are right about that. however the other end of that canister plugs into the manifold. If that port is not sealed, you will be taking in unmetered air (vacuum leak) so it needs to be dealt with correctly. DMAX i am not sure the 323/328 comes with that exhaust flap so i am not sure your manifold pictures would show where that line goes.

Yeah, unmetered and worse, unfiltered air.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #26
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Quick question, as someone who is converting his fuel filter from the external 3/2 way valve to the internal FPR found in the M54 Filter, what material is the vacuum line made out of and can I source it at a hardware/ home improvement store? I already have a Meter of the rubbery vacuum line needed to mate the lines to the F-connector and the FPR nipples just looking for the harder line for less than dealer cost.

I am in possession of the Filter, F-connector, Fuel Rail and the 24#/hr injectors.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #27
eph6jonprice

Thanks all, I will follow that advice and hopefully I can find the missing plug! If anyone does have links to the schematics of the intake manifold for my car (2001 330Ci) that would really be great, otherwise I will try and track them down and/or break out the mirror and try and look at the rear of the manifold!
Old 11-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #28
Mango

Quote:
Thanks all, I will follow that advice and hopefully I can find the missing plug! If anyone does have links to the schematics of the intake manifold for my car (2001 330Ci) that would really be great, otherwise I will try and track them down and/or break out the mirror and try and look at the rear of the manifold!
If I come into contact with an E46 engine this weekend, i'll try to trace the line and find out where it goes. I think i may even have pictures of an M54 outside of the car that might show where. I'll do some digging.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #29
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
Quick question, as someone who is converting his fuel filter from the external 3/2 way valve to the internal FPR found in the M54 Filter, what material is the vacuum line made out of and can I source it at a hardware/ home improvement store?
Bavarian Autosport lists that part for $29. Probably cheaper at some of the other mail order places. 13327561060.

Last edited by Wolrab; 11-09-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Wolrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #30
Hornung418

Quote:

323/328 have no exhaust flap. No extra vac canister. The only vac lines behind the manifold go to the SAP valve by way of a one way check valve.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #31
eph6jonprice

Quote:
If I come into contact with an E46 engine this weekend, i'll try to trace the line and find out where it goes. I think i may even have pictures of an M54 outside of the car that might show where. I'll do some digging.
That would be awesome if you do Mango, it's always easier in my head before I actually start looking!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #32
eph6jonprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
yea, please, no splitting of lines.

When mango gets like this, it's best to just do what he says!

In terms of the hoses behind intake mani...you can see pictures of that in my 'intake manifold' thread. I think flashtwosix posted some pictures of her intake mani setup for me...might help you...but you don't want to randomly connect or plug stuff up.

Take your time as mango said. Although he's a fruit, the mango is probably among the most sophisticated...right up there with kiwi, I think.
If you happen to have any links to those pics it would be great... tried searching under your username and "intake manifold" and you've got over 100 threads posted on! Thanks again for the help regardless!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #33
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
Quick question, as someone who is converting his fuel filter from the external 3/2 way valve to the internal FPR found in the M54 Filter, what material is the vacuum line made out of and can I source it at a hardware/ home improvement store? I already have a Meter of the rubbery vacuum line needed to mate the lines to the F-connector and the FPR nipples just looking for the harder line for less than dealer cost.

I am in possession of the Filter, F-connector, Fuel Rail and the 24#/hr injectors.
ECS has an assembly for it. That's a bit pricey though. It's more of a plastic than a rubber material, though it's still fairly flexable.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/13327561060/ES33013/
Old 11-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #34
Hornung418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Bavarian Autosport lists that part for $29. Probably cheaper at some of the other mail order places. 13327561060.
Okay that is not bad. But now I actually think that the vac line on the 3/2 way regulator is the one that runs up to the Fuel Rail on the M52tu. Was underneath it today getting my feet wet before I dive in tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #35
Mango

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #36
Mango

Vacuum canister delete:

Per: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1547555

Follow up with part# 11611727176 for the manifold plug (from the E39) and part number 51712258519 for the body plug after removing the line from the body of the car..

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 11-09-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #37
eph6jonprice

Quote:
Mango I am pretty sure you're my new best friend... thank you!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #38
eph6jonprice

Quote:
So to save me from bumbling around, my hopefully last question is if I'm standing at the headlights looking down at the engine, what is the approximate location of this piece? Is it near the DISA or near the secondary air injection? Thanks again, sorry for more questions!
Old 11-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #39
eph6jonprice

Quote:
Vacuum canister delete:

Per: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1547555

Follow up with part# 11611727176 for the manifold plug (from the E39) and part number 51712258519 for the body plug after removing the line from the body of the car..
I don't feel the need to "delete" it unless you think it would be a good idea? Also, now that the cold weather has hit, it is very obvious that my car is quite "jerky" when it's cold, having degrees of lack of power followed by a snap back to power and so forth. Could this be the result of a vacuum leak? The only other thing I did other than replace the fuel filter was to check the DISA valve. Doesn't seem to be a leak there (sprayed belt conditioner all around the seal, which is "highly flammable", and no change in RPMs...) Could a bad DISA give me these symptoms? Thanks again for all the help, just want my car to run normal for once and get rid of this P1192 code!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #40
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
So to save me from bumbling around, my hopefully last question is if I'm standing at the headlights looking down at the engine, what is the approximate location of this piece? Is it near the DISA or near the secondary air injection? Thanks again, sorry for more questions!
In case you didn't find this already...it's on the back driver side of intake manifold...remove cabin air filter...if you need more room, remove panel that the cabin air filter screws into too...just two screws in either 'corner' of it.

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote