E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Racial slurs at college protests prompt a deeper look

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...eeded/1696475/

Quote:
Ole Miss and Hampden-Sydney both plan to set up campuswide conversations about race.

(Photo: Bruce Newman, AP)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

About 400 students gathered at Ole Miss, where some shouted racial slurs
Hampden-Sydney students yelled epithets at Minority Student Union house
Experts emphasize re-electing Obama does not mean an end to bias

12:23AM EST November 12. 2012 - It was almost midnight when Ole Miss police officers came across a large crowd of students "shouting racial slurs and taunting other students with chants about the recent presidential election."

Just minutes after President Obama was re-elected Tuesday, a crowd of 550 "agitated and angry" students and spectators gathered to not only attack his policies but shout about race, according to a University of Mississippi police report. More than 700 miles away in Virginia at Hampden-Sydney College, 40 students set off fireworks and broke bottles near the Minority Student Union house and yelled racial insults and threats at its residents.

How these students went from venting political frustrations to spewing racial epithets lies at the heart of American culture and ongoing issues of race despite having re-elected the nation's first black president, school administrators and experts say. The incidents at both schools illustrate that though racial barriers at the White House may have been broken, discrimination that affects people's daily lives remains.

"The anger wasn't only about President Obama and his re-election," said Keisha Bentley-Edwards, a professor at the University of Texas at Austin who studies race, adolescence and academic and social development. "It was overall frustration at the emerging power of diverse people in this country."

America's electorate is getting more diverse. White men made up 34% of voters this year, down from 46% in 1972. Meanwhile, non-whites made up 28% of voters this year, up from 20% in 2000. Hispanics are a big part of that change.

The changing demographics of voters deeply impacted this year's election. Obama captured 80% of nonwhites in 2012, just as he did in 2008. Republican Mitt Romney was not able to win even though he dominated among white men.

Those facts scare many white male students and may have led the students at these colleges to react with racial slurs, Bentley-Edwards said. "These young people felt their future was being taken away from them and that someone had to stand up and say something."

Ole Miss' protest unfolded sometime around 11:55 p.m. Tuesday when 30 to 40 students began shouting political slogans, taunting other students and blocking traffic. The crowd quickly grew to more than 550 participants and onlookers, not including those in cars, police said. At one point, officers say, students surrounded a pickup truck in the student union parking lot and yelled curse words and political chants at those inside.

A University of Mississippi officer leads a protester away from a campus disturbance early Wednesday morning after President Obama's re-election was announced.(Photo: Thomas Graning, AP)
Officers, "concerned for their safety," ordered students out of the street but "nothing seemed to work," according to the police report. It took police an hour and 19 minutes and threats of jail to get students to disperse and go back to their residence halls. Two people were arrested but no one was injured.

Shortly after 11 p.m. Tuesday, the 15 students who live at Hampden-Sydney College's Minority Student Union house experienced their own ordeal. There, about 40 students came to the house, yelled racially offensive comments and threatened residents with "physical harm," the university said. After about 45 minutes, officials say other students broke up the protest.

Both Bentley-Edwards and Howard Stevenson, a professor of applied psychology and education at the University of Pennsylvania, say the incidents illustrate that America has a long way to go in combating discrimination and racism.

"Folks who claim we're in a post-racial America are very shallow in their understanding of how racial discrimination happens in a relational world," Stevenson said. "Obama becoming the first black president is progress to some people, but to some people it's a threat."

Both blacks who think Obama being president means racism will evaporate and whites who believe his position will hurt their ability to succeed are wrong, Stevenson said. Instead, day-to-day interactions and thoughts about race on a everyday basis must change for real progress to happen.

School officials say the incidents are being investigated and that students may face university or legal discipline. They also stressed that leaders condemned the acts.

The University of Mississippi has a "difficult cultural history with race relations," said Chancellor Dan Jones in an interview. "We have ongoing efforts to create an atmosphere that tries to prevent this kind of behavior."

A symbolic hanging, cross burnings and riots greeted Ole Miss' first black student, James Meredith, who was admitted in 1962. In 1997, the school ended the waving of Confederate flags at sporting events. Ole Miss dumped its mascot, Colonel Reb — a caricature of a white plantation owner — in 2003 to distance the school from Old South stereotypes.

This year, the school elected its first black female student body president and had its first black homecoming queen. The day after the election protest, Ole Miss held a candlelight vigil to denounce the acts.

"Race is a complicated issue in our country, our state and our university," Jones said. "Progress is never steady. There are always stops and starts."

While no other special measures are planned in response to last week's incidents, Ole Miss will continue to hold dialogs about race and invite national speakers to campus, he said.

Hampden-Sydney President Christopher Howard echoed those sentiments and told USA TODAY he has similar plans to have the all-male school's 1,082 students as well as faculty, staff and outside experts hold conversations about race. The day after the incident, about 300 people attended a town hall meeting to talk about what happened.

"We don't condone this," Howard said. "We are going to own our mistakes and set goals to be respectful and inclusive."

University spokesman, Thomas Shomo, added that the protests reflect the bitterness of the presidential campaigns and the harshness of both Democrats' and Republicans' rhetoric.

"In multiple directions, there have been incidents surrounding the campaigns that have had racial implications," said William Jacobson, a Cornell University law professor who wrote an article about the protest at Ole Miss on his blog, College Insurrection. "It's not just white students yelling things about blacks, there was a lot of talk about whether the Republicans are too white. I think it's a charged situation and I think people need to step back from focusing so much on race and focus on issues."

But for Stevenson at Penn, there's no separating racial politics from general politics. Conversations about voter-identification laws, taxation by class, food stamps and health care were often racialized during this election and previous ones, he said.

"These events at these schools are just a continuation of racial rejection that has gone on even before Obama became president," he said.
They're Mad Because "the People who voted for Obama want STUFF and THINGS"

-Bill O'reilly-

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

Last edited by phrozen06; 11-12-2012 at 05:04 PM.
phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
This is were I stopped reading...

Quote:
"The anger wasn't only about President Obama and his re-election," said Keisha Bentley-Edwards, a professor at the University of Texas at Austin who studies race, adolescence and academic and social development. "It was overall frustration at the emerging power of diverse people in this country."

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Yah it's easy to be thestened by what people don't understand

Hence the ignorant comments.

Leave the country Wahhh!

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
In
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Phrozen's daily log:

Wake up
Google racism
Post findings if slurs go against blacks
Cry racism

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
Mississippi idiots.

Is Hampden-Sydney close to Georgetown?

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Mississippi idiots.

Is Hampden-Sydney close to Georgetown?
It's in VA south of Richmond I think
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Swish

My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
Love it when you guys want to talk about what's going on in a far away land, but you're comfortable sweeping under the rug what's going on at home.

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish View Post
Love it when you guys want to talk about what's going on in a far away land, but you're comfortable sweeping under the rug what's going on at home.
Like what goes on in every black church in America ?

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
This is were I stopped reading...
why? There was a lot of decent important information afterwards.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Phrozen's daily log:

Wake up
Google racism
Cry racism
and perhaps this should be your reality that you should wake up to

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=955654
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
Swish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Like what goes on in every black church in America ?
This is where you look ignorant young man. I didn't mention race at all, only that there are issues that need to be resolved (or at least discussed) in THIS country before we worry about other countries and what's going on there. I get it tho, you would MUCH rather talk about the unwed mothers and teen pregnancy in the black community than discuss college students that are trying to do the right thing in life only to get harassed by other students for no reason... Pathetic!

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Phrozen's daily log:

Wake up
Google racism
Cry racism
Chase's daily log:

-Wake up
-Click on Phrozen thread
-Make same comment as day before about disdain for Phrozen thread
-Remember that tomorrow he needs to learn how to not click on links he does not want to read.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
and perhaps this should be your reality that you should wake up to

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=955654

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #15
bimmerfan08

This thread =
Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #16
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Chase's daily log:

-Wake up
-Click on Phrozen thread
-Make same comment as day before about disdain for Phrozen thread
-Remember that tomorrow he needs to learn how to not click on links he does not want to read.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #17
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
I understand why whites are afraid to become a minority, it's not like minorities are treated any different.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #18
Mayo

My Ride: CBR600RR
When you guys elected Obama in 2008, it was the first time in history that black voter turnout was higher than citizen average. Percentage of black vote going democrat was also the highest in history.

But I'm sure if Obama had white skin this would have been the case

Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #19
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
When you guys elected Obama in 2008, it was the first time in history that black voter turnout was higher than citizen average. Percentage of black vote going democrat was also the highest in history.

Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #20
Swish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post

Oh, well that validates it... These college kids deserved to be called racial names! Thanks for clarifying it Mayo... Very prolific